Foreigner Nabbed At Don Muang With Fake Us Dollars

george

Nabbed with fake US dollars

BANGKOK: -- Police arrested a Pakistani man yesterday after he allegedly went on a duty-free shopping spree at Bangkok international airport using fake US dollar banknotes.

Shahib Arif, 33, was arrested at 10am and found in possession of 497 counterfeit 100-dollar banknotes and eight cough-syrup bottles. Police spotted him acting suspiciously while shopping at the King Power duty-free shop with a large pile of cash, said Tourist Police chief Maj-General Panya Maman.

He said police were also acting on a tip-off from US authorities about money smuggling.

Arif was on his way from the US to China and had to change planes in Bangkok, where he decided to do a spot of shopping.

He caught the attention of police because he would show shop assistants real banknotes and then switch them with other ones, telling them he wanted to give them new banknotes.

Arif said he had used the fake banknotes to buy electrical appliances in China worth US$29,000 (Bt1.19 million). Police said he would be charged with intentional possession of fake money.

Panya said police would investigate the matter further because the suspect was believed to be part of a criminal network. The cough-syrup bottles will be tested for illegal substances, he said.

--The Nation 2005-06-15

Arif was on his way from the US to China and had to change planes in Bangkok, where he decided to do a spot of shopping.

Arif said he had used the fake banknotes to buy electrical appliances in China worth US$29,000 (Bt1.19 million). Police said he would be charged with intentional possession of fake money.

now, which way was he going :o

Edited by kreon

" the suspect was believed to be part of a criminal network" run by bin laden?  :o

No way! Really? What a great guess!

Being tipped-off from US source that pakistani will carry lotsa'a'dough , will look like photo they sent with tip, and, IN CASE YOU COULDN'T RECOGNISE HIM, he will shop around airport with huge wad of bills.

My IQ just dropped 50 points, I feel like an idiot.

Although the Thais would like to hold him, I would not be surprised if the US asks for him. The US, like all governments, takes a very dim view of anyone copying their money. I would not be surprised if the US paid to get him.

now, which way was he going :o

hehe guess it really was a ROUND trip ticket... with a "go directly to jail, do not pass START" card in Bangkok...

He probably was on his way to the US...

Now this dude is really stupid indeed. However I would bet the USA will want him now for sure since supposingly he got that fake money from USA as his start point.

Had he made it to China, he too would have a tough time passing those bills for exchange into huh yuan, unless he goes underground ????? Not sure, but I am sure in China that they will obviously check those bills if their legit.

I do believe that in USA manufacturing or possessing counterfeit money does give you a USA hotel hilton terms of minimum 20 years in the truly Fed Pen which many are indeed real resorts in United States.

Depends on what risk you are and of what crime the person committed. I have seen just one when I was passing thru on vacation, and it had no fence or walls, just a simple guard house, with a lot of grass and trees like a getaway resort for vacation atmosphere, and the buildings themselves are like a group of townhouses together, with no bars or security gates etc.

Anyway if he does end up there, it will be a nice 20 years piece of cake for him and surly he will be begging to get the hella out of Thailand pronto and would be more than happy to do his time and sentence in the USA Fed Pen. After that he gets automatic deportation back to Paki for good, and he will be barred entry to US for life. So, in any rate this is just the beginning of his pains and sorrows yet to come.

Daveyo

If he was in the transit lounge and hadnt gone through customs, he is technically not on Thai soil.....Suspect an extradition order from the US soon...

Even if the guy had remained in the transit lounge, I'd find it hard to imagine he'd be immune from being nabbed by authorities, assuming they had a reason to arrest him. Some airports require you to go through a check of your carry on luggage and personal items, even if you're only passing through. It's not like a transit lounge is an embassy. It's more like a bus stop waiting for a transfer bus to arrive.

Regardless, the spacecase decided to do some shopping while he was waiting for his next flight. Sounds like his cash was photocopied. I wouldn't be surprised either if he ends up in the hands of U.S. authorities. The guy is a total dunderhead.

If he was in the transit lounge and hadnt gone through customs, he is technically not on Thai soil.....Suspect an extradition order from the US soon...

Even if the guy had remained in the transit lounge, I'd find it hard to imagine he'd be immune from being nabbed by authorities, assuming they had a reason to arrest him. Some airports require you to go through a check of your carry on luggage and personal items, even if you're only passing through. It's not like a transit lounge is an embassy. It's more like a bus stop waiting for a transfer bus to arrive.

Regardless, the spacecase decided to do some shopping while he was waiting for his next flight. Sounds like his cash was photocopied. I wouldn't be surprised either if he ends up in the hands of U.S. authorities. The guy is a total dunderhead.