Thai Driving License

I just managed to lose my wallet like a clown, and in it was my UK driving license. Im wondering how difficult it is and what the procedure is to get a Thai drivers license.

Thanks in advance!

I just managed to lose my wallet like a clown, and in it was my UK driving license. Im wondering how difficult it is and what the procedure is to get a Thai drivers license.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have an International Driver's Permit issued in the UK? If so you can get a Thai license by following the rules that you can find posted here in the Expat Forum.

I don't know if you can get a UK replacement license through the mail....or at your consulate. I doubt it.

If you have a photocard UK licence, you can order a replacement on the internet. (They will send it to the address you gave when you got the licence, so that's only a viable option if you still own the place, or know the people there now...)

Getting a Thai licence is easy enough - IF you have an IDP and your national licence... - Otherwise I think you'll have to sit the Thai test...

Yeah, agree with Mike.

You need your national licence and an IDP to get a Thai licence easily. Otherwise brush up on your Thai highway code and driving technique :o:D

Actually, never heard from anyone who's got a Thai licence from scratch (no national licence), are driving lessons compulsory like some European countries??

DC

I got it from scratch as my California license was stolen when my apt was burglarized. Took all day to go thru but the good news is the written test is in english at the Sukhumvit office.

Search on my handle for my extensive report made about 2 months ago.

I got it from scratch as my California license was stolen when my apt was burglarized. Took all day to go thru but the good news is the written test is in english at the Sukhumvit office.

Search on my handle for my extensive report made about 2 months ago.

You are the first person to do this de novo....your experience should be archived.

cheers guys. Ill be going from scratch.

I guess ill need a thai person with me on test day to translate??

Wow, doing my driving test again. I'd better put on a short skirt and low neck top!!

cheers guys. Ill be going from scratch.

I guess ill need a thai person with me on test day to translate??

Right, better bring a thai along for translation.

I did mine opposite chatuchak about a year ago. Pretty easy, one day (a few hours actually) for filling out paperwork, colour test, sitting through a 1 hour class (this was in thai but compulsory for anyone taking their license,.. so I was told) and a written test in english afterwards. Took practical test a couple of days later. Also found out that if you were the first batch taking the test in the morning and failed, you could take it again in the afternoon. It was pretty scary on site, I remember seeing drivers who looked like they have never been behind the wheel, crashing into poles and curbs only to sign up again for the next available time slot after failing. Personally, I think the transport department has to change a few things to get responsible drivers on the road. But then again, there are many things that could improve on so many fronts. TIT...