Part Time Work Permit Possible ?

I have taken a job teaching at a large private institution

but I am working half time.

The Admin is telling me they can not get a work permit for a part time employee.

Is this true ?

Wouldn't it be very risky to work without a work permit ?

I have a family and 4 other Thai people to support.

I'd be risking jail or deportation, although I have a feeling this is not enforced.

But can I take that chance ?

Can they get me a work permit ?

Does the MOL have such a silly rule excluding part timers ?

Should I continue to work without the work permit ?

Comments solicited

Edited by paulfr

If you were not a teacher I would know the answer. (You CAN get a workpermit for work at any level --- but you would not be eligible for permission to stay past the 90 day mark if you were not making minimum wage for your nationality. Due to exceptions made for teachers I just don't know how they apply the law.

I think you can get a work permit but then your employer has to pay for it also has to pay half your social security payments I think the problem is with your employer not wanting to pay not with the MOL.

From above: ".....but then your employer has to pay for it ..... .

This is not necessarily correct. Many universities make all the application documents, take the lecturer to the labour office, help with any discusions etc., but the actual cost is borne by the lecturer. Cost of medical certificate also borne by he lecturer.

The determining factor with the work permit is not the number of hours you work, but the amount of income you earn. There is a set minimum wage holders of work permits must earn. If you are working part-time, and your school's accountant has to report that, then its very possible you will not qualify for one.

Working without a work permit is never an option. It's illegal and very risky to try. If caught you will be fined and possibly arrested and jailed.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

I think you can get a work permit but then your employer has to pay for it also has to pay half your social security payments I think the problem is with your employer not wanting to pay not with the MOL.

you would be taking a big risk ,

working without a permit ..

working part time is not the issue ..

There is a set minimum wage holders of work permits must earn.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltasia.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png

What is this minimum wage number for an American ?

Thank you

This amount can vary, and can depend on the mood of the labor department's officer. Contrary to popular belief, the labor department has no minimum wages set in the law.

Under law, there only is a minimum wage if you wish to use your employment status to extend you stay in Thailand. For Americans this would be 50,000 Baht/month.

Thank you for all your replies

My internet search found a page that said that ....

working without a Work Permit risks 3 months in jail and a 5000 baht fine.

Wrong, 5 year in jail and/or a 100,000 baht fine.

(Not sure about the fine, might be higher).

You are correct if one is stupid enough to engage in a restricted occupation.

I am a Math teacher in an English Program.

Here is what Sunbelt has to say ........

http://www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com/Thailand-Work-Permit.php

Any alien who engages in work without a Work Permit, or in violation of the conditions of his work as stipulated in his Permit, may be punished by a term of imprisonment not exceeding three months or a fine of up to 5,000 baht, or both. Aliens engaged in work prohibited to them by Royal Decree (as listed in the " Restricted Occupations ") shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine ranging from 2,000 to 100,000 baht, or both.

"Working without a permit on a B visa is one thing and is a finable offense . Working without a permit on a tourist visa is another and since involves immigration, is what gets you jail."

This is what Lawyer # 4 said , Lawyer # 5 said....

Christ is anything actually written down and and adhered to ?

Edited by TigerWan

"Working without a permit on a B visa is one thing and is a finable offense . Working without a permit on a tourist visa is another and since involves immigration, is what gets you jail."

This is what Lawyer # 4 said , Lawyer # 5 said....

Christ is anything actually written down and and adhered to ?

Seems not :) TiT

let me lit up a balloon for you ...

take an ED visa... so you pretend to learn Thai in that school

if they cought you at the school teaching... you can always pretend you are a studend doing a ? lecture ?

right ?

I would love to see the day that Thai people have to prove 8x more income than the average whatever in your home country

(thai making 6000 baht per month x 8 ...)

to be able to get a WP ...

U can probably get a WP if you want one, you'll just have to jump through another couple of hoops. I've had one for part-time work before, but only because I got a non-b by other means.

Its probably worth giving a go, if you really want to, just look on the thaivisa "10 steps to a work permit" page, print off what u need and ask your school for it.

Good luck!