Mailing Address

charley1947

I recently moved into an area called "Santi Tham." I gave my bank the mailing address that was on the lease, but I don't believe it works for Thai mail. Can anyone tell me which post office services this area or where I can go to get a proper address so that mail will reach me? Also, please add any comments on the CM postal service that would be either helpful or at least amusing.

Try posting a letter to the address.

If this works it is fine. THough it may help to ask the postman who delivers there what the best way to address a letter is. THere is a short form here which seems to work very well.

Could always get yourself a P.O. Box at you local post office. Things are probably less likely to go to wrong addresses etc that way. Another benefit is that even if you move around a lot you still have the same postal address.

You say "I don't believe it works for Thai mail" Have you actually had mail sent to you that has not arrived?

Your area is covered by Chang Puak 50300 Why not grab your postie next time he passes and check, or even go to the post office yourself :)

HEY!

I still don't know where the post office is and I don't know what a postal carrier looks like in CM. Also, my lease says my area is 50000, not 50300. Anybody know how to locate a post office or "postie?"

If your address is 50000 you are covered by either Phra Sing post office (just down the road from Wat Phra Sing) or the one near the three kings statues on Phra Pokklao road.

I have my PO box at the post office on Charoen Meang Rd at the intersection of Charoen Meang Rd Soi 4 and the postal code there is 50000. I checked with them today and they have empty boxes for rent there at this time. The price for a one year rental there is 500 baht.

BB

Can you be a little more specific about where you live? "Santi Tham" (สันติธรรม) means peaceful teachings or peaceful dharma or something like that. I'm not sure of the exact meaning, but it is a common Thai phrases and there are loads of guesthouses and places with that name. It's hard to figure out where you are.

Could always get yourself a P.O. Box at you local post office. Things are probably less likely to go to wrong addresses etc that way. Another benefit is that even if you move around a lot you still have the same postal address.

I use a post office PO Box address.

When I first moved here I was having my mail sent to my home address. Local people were bringing my mail, some had been opened, including bank statements from England, plus some of the mail wasn`t arriving at all.

Get a post office box, only 200 baht per year.

Edited by BigWheelMan

I'd ask a neighbor - via translator if you must - to see a piece of their mail and learn exactly what's written on it so you can do the same except for the residence number, of course. I have a suspicion that the address you're looking at, and you living in Santitham, means that your landlord lives over by PraSingh. Santitham should have it's own code.

HEY!

I still don't know where the post office is and I don't know what a postal carrier looks like in CM. Also, my lease says my area is 50000, not 50300. Anybody know how to locate a post office or "postie?"

In that case the address on your lease is not where you live, and possibly the property owners. I was correct in the first instance, and Santithum Road and surrounding area are covered Tambon Chang Puak with a post code of 50300. The Chang Puak post office is just near the Tanin market off Chotana Road.

Why not ask the person next door what their address is? :)

Can you be a little more specific about where you live? "Santi Tham" (สันติธรรม) means peaceful teachings or peaceful dharma or something like that. I'm not sure of the exact meaning, but it is a common Thai phrases and there are loads of guesthouses and places with that name. It's hard to figure out where you are.

It's a rather large area north of the north west corner of the moat. Been there for a few hundred years.

There were a number of places of disrepute there some years ago but I really wouldn't know as it is all hearsay. :)

It's a rather large area north of the north west corner of the moat. Been there for a few hundred years.

There were a number of places of disrepute there some years ago but I really wouldn't know as it is all hearsay. :)

Thanks Blinky. I may have stumbled upon some of those disreputable areas once or twice, but never knew the name of the area!

As for the OP question, he's going to have to ask the postman or a neighbor, because that area is split into two tambons. Up to around Top's supermarket it's tambon Sri Phum. North of Top's Market and the municipal stadium is tambon Chang Phuak, which continues out beyond Huay Tung Tao.

The post office on Blinky's map is just a tiny little shop. I live in Chang Phuak and all my mail came from the post office across from Wat Prah Singh until a year ago. Now there is a huge new post office on Assadathorn just north of JJ Market.