Anybody Having Problems With Ais Super 3g Aircard?

Lopburi99

My networks settings: GSM only, all bands.

My old modem by go3G(?) works fine in the same setting here at home, but that modem won't run on Windows 7 which my new pc has so I bought the new (more expensive) AIS Aircard.

Have you had problems too? Perhaps my device is faulty?

Ideas appreciated.

Thanks

I have had major problems for 7 days with AIS 3G (air card). The system has been up and down like a yo yo. Their 1175 number is in op due to high request. I managed to get threw twice first time we changed dsn numbers that work for about 6 hrs then it went out again. I was able to contact them again this morning about 10M after trying for 5 hours. We have reset the dsn numbers again. 4 hours and holding.

Hey there,

This message is sent via an AIS air card connection, so if it drops out please forgive.

We have both the AIS 3G air card and windows 7. We always have had problems with the internet connection, as sometimes we have full speed (which in itself is rather slow) and then for no reason it just drops to nothing. The sad part of this is that we are still charged for the connection time, so when it happens we disconnect and then try again in 5-10 minutes. We find that this happens mostly after 6pm, so I think that their server's ability to handle the load is not sufficient.

How to fix, well if you are like us you have a six month contract, so we just grin and walk away for ten or so. The most frustrating part of this is that Murphy's law dictates that the internet will 'crash' when you need it the most.

I have had other problems like automatic disconnection about 5 seconds after connecting, the AIS help center just advises to uninstall and reinstall the device. Seems to be an 20th century fix to a 21st century problem. Maybe that is their problem, I dunno.

Not sure if it helps you, but you are not alone.

Hey there,

This message is sent via an AIS air card connection, so if it drops out please forgive.

We have both the AIS 3G air card and windows 7. We always have had problems with the internet connection, as sometimes we have full speed (which in itself is rather slow) and then for no reason it just drops to nothing. The sad part of this is that we are still charged for the connection time, so when it happens we disconnect and then try again in 5-10 minutes. We find that this happens mostly after 6pm, so I think that their server's ability to handle the load is not sufficient.

How to fix, well if you are like us you have a six month contract, so we just grin and walk away for ten or so. The most frustrating part of this is that Murphy's law dictates that the internet will 'crash' when you need it the most.

I have had other problems like automatic disconnection about 5 seconds after connecting, the AIS help center just advises to uninstall and reinstall the device. Seems to be an 20th century fix to a 21st century problem. Maybe that is their problem, I dunno.

Not sure if it helps you, but you are not alone.

I have the exact same symptoms, and have had them since I bought the Aircard over a month ago. I believe it is either the modem not being able to adequately hold the signal, or it is Windows 7 related (driver issue), or both.

I've uninstalled and reinstalled until I am blue in the face. No difference.

I don't think AIS is the problem actually because like I said, my old 3G modem works fine when I put my AIS sim into it and use it on my Windows XP machine. Almost never drops a signal and connects every time.

I think the auto disconnect after 5 seconds has to do with the modem trying to switch from the original signal to a 3G signal. If it gets a strong enough signal it makes the switch ok and holds on to the signal. But eventually it always drops connection.

Methinks the AIS Super G modem is a stylish piece of crap, and the signal grabbing components/circuitry is poor, operating only for strong signals and therefore inferior to my other modem (which unfortunately will not install on Windows 7). Either that or as I stated earlier it is a Windows 7 issue or both.

Other Aircard users - have you had problems or have you had reliable connections?

Edited by Lopburi99

I think there is a very simple reason.

AIS does not have a dedicated 3G frequency, unlike True, TOT and Dtac.

So basically AIS has to supply the 3G service on the same frequency band as their voice and 2G service (900 Mhz).

So at times when there is heavy voice usage, your 3G service will go down the drain. Voice will always have priority over data.

So bottom line we made a mistake choosing AIS and will have to live with these problems until we switch to True, TOT or Dtac. :D

Advertising 3G and selling 3G modems while not offering authentic 3G service, can't AIS get in trouble for that?

:):D :D

So bottom line we made a mistake choosing AIS and will have to live with these problems until we switch to True, TOT or Dtac. :D

Advertising 3G and selling 3G modems while not offering authentic 3G service, can't AIS get in trouble for that?

Officially it is still a "trial" !

Hello.

I have AIS Super 3G with a GSM SIM card and the WiFi router modem. The only problem I have with the 3G service is accessing Hotmail, Windows Update, and Bing. The problem is intermittent, however, mostly not able to access for some time now.

I also have the AIS usb dongle which I have an AIS SIM and the GPRS package (which is not 3G). I have no problems with the GPRS on the dongle. I am able to access all the sites I usually access.

AIS does not have 3G outside of Chiang Mai as far as I know. And the 3G service is in a limited area in Chiang Mai... mostly within the city.

With my usb dongle and GPRS I am able to get a better download rate about 30 kilometers North of Chiang Mai than at my house just South of Chiang Mai, 7 kilometers.

MSPain

I also have one of these using GPRS and have had similar problems day after day, month after month. The speed is normal at times and at other times drops to being worthless. I also find it frustrating to be billed by the hour when I am so called connected yet unable to load a simple web page. Because the speed issues tend to hit at peak times of the day and repeat I feel confident in saying the signal and hardware are just fine, but the AIS infrastructure and servers are inadequate. Even though I see this problem every single day, I have been unsuccessful in getting their support to acknowledge this problem exists. So at the end of the package it's going into the bin.

Hello.

I have AIS Super 3G with a GSM SIM card and the WiFi router modem. The only problem I have with the 3G service is accessing Hotmail, Windows Update, and Bing. The problem is intermittent, however, mostly not able to access for some time now.

I also have the AIS usb dongle which I have an AIS SIM and the GPRS package (which is not 3G). I have no problems with the GPRS on the dongle. I am able to access all the sites I usually access.

AIS does not have 3G outside of Chiang Mai as far as I know. And the 3G service is in a limited area in Chiang Mai... mostly within the city.

With my usb dongle and GPRS I am able to get a better download rate about 30 kilometers North of Chiang Mai than at my house just South of Chiang Mai, 7 kilometers.

MSPain

Hi MSPain.

Curious you have problems with certain sites only. I would think this may be due to timeouts while your browser waits for the site to respond.

As you can see I still have connect problems and just wondered if others did too, or whether my Aircard was flaky. Now I see some others have the exact problem.

I forgot to ask you before: what is a "AIS usb dongle?" Is that a non-3G cell modem? Can you theorize why that one works fine for you? Because GPRS, not 3G?

I am still perplexed why when using the same sim in different modems on different machines, on one configuration I get consistent good connections, and on the other I have only the grief mentioned above. I don't mean to beat this subject to death, but there is another variable(s) here beyond the AIS signal or load issues in regards to connect issues. I now understand why speed differs per the other posts.

Others are benefiting from this thread so feel free to add your two bahts worth.

Edited by Lopburi99

I've been trying for the past 2 hours to get this piece of shit modem/AIS service connected for ten minutes so I can get some work done.

(it just crapped out on me again multiple times as I do this post)

DON'T BUY AN AIS SUPER 3G AIRCARD! It is an endless f**king headache!

My modem is 5 minutes away from being stomped into smitherines! I HATE the son of a bitch!

Edited by Lopburi99

I've been trying for the past 2 hours to get this piece of shit modem/AIS service connected for ten minutes so I can get some work done.

(it just crapped out on me again multiple times as I do this post)

DON'T BUY AN AIS SUPER 3G AIRCARD! It is an endless f**king headache!

My modem is 5 minutes away from being stomped into smitherines! I HATE the son of a bitch!

Did you ever try the new card on your old XP machine? Just to rule out the suspicions that you have a win7 problem...

Martin

I have had the wireless internet router version of the aircard for roughly a week and it works fine with speedtest results of 3.26 Mb/s down, 0.32 Mb/s up , ping 199ms. However, I am based just off the Tha Phae Road in Chiang Mai which is roughly in the centre of the AIS 2.5/3G cloud. The router wasn't without its problems though. The first one I had would not connect to the internet despite one of my guests, handily being a software engineer, had tried his hardest to get it going. In the end I popped the sim card into my nokia 5800 and it worked first time. Obviously the modem was stuffed. I took it back the next day and after an hour of their technicians working on it they also concluded it was stuffed and gave me a new one. I did have a problem with accessing hotmail at first but this was solved by the old school method of rebooting the router. Since then it has worked perfectly.

So all in all, it could be that the aircard was manufactured on a Friday afternoon and slipped though the "quality control" tests wink.gif.

• 3 months later...