Flying Bangkok To Geneva

cwldanny

Hi there,

I will be flying to Geneva, Switzerland from Bangkok in a few months time. I would like to ask if anybody has experience flying on this route? Which airlines are the best and which should I avoid?

Possible options that I have come up with are

Ethihad

Swiss Air

Thai Airways

Qatar

I will be flying Economy, and although price is an issue I dont think I want to compromise too much of comfort and safety =)

Thank you!

TG & LX are the only ones with Direct Flights, both are good although Swiss Air have the better in-flight entertainment and seats, I'd go with them, I've never flown Qatar but those who have tell me their cattle class service is well below par, not sure about Ethihad either, you may want to check out Emirates as well they should be similar on price & they also have a decent entertainment system.

TG & LX are the only ones with Direct Flights, both are good although Swiss Air have the better in-flight entertainment and seats, I'd go with them, I've never flown Qatar but those who have tell me their cattle class service is well below par, not sure about Ethihad either, you may want to check out Emirates as well they should be similar on price & they also have a decent entertainment system.

Thanks for the recommendation guys.

My first choice was actually going to be Qatar, seeing as they are rated quite high at Skytrax (5 Star) and have pretty much good reviews all around compared to Swiss and Thai. I heard from a friend who flew to Qatar from BKK last year that they are ahead of even Emirates and most airlines when it comes to in flight entertainment, seat pitch/width and service.

However, the trip would involve a 9 hour stopover at Qatar, which I think is going to be a complete waste of energy and time.

I have flow Swiss air to Geneva, it was quite good the planes are not Airbuses or 380 but very comfortable. in flght food good and there are the usual TV games consoles , also when you arrive you are through customs in minutes,and the Airport is not that big so you can get to the other terminal very easy.

also if you use the Qatar site properly you might get flights that have not got such a long stopover, it depends on days

Tuesday fly out, Wednesday return is a good one.

you could use QR611 to Doha, then QR047 to Geneva (total time 15.50hrs, stopover of 2hrs 20 included)

Return is a nightmare, Tuesday flights would be via FFM, however flights on Wednesday could look like this

QR048 to Doha, then Qr612 to BKK Total 15.05 Stopover duration 1hr 55.

look at the Qatar site and move the days around

I used August as a booking month and got a price of 35,440baht per person

Edited by beano2274

also if you use the Qatar site properly you might get flights that have not got such a long stopover, it depends on days

Tuesday fly out, Wednesday return is a good one.

you could use QR611 to Doha, then QR047 to Geneva (total time 15.50hrs, stopover of 2hrs 20 included)

Return is a nightmare, Tuesday flights would be via FFM, however flights on Wednesday could look like this

QR048 to Doha, then Qr612 to BKK Total 15.05 Stopover duration 1hr 55.

look at the Qatar site and move the days around

I used August as a booking month and got a price of 35,440baht per person

Thanks you! I'll look more into making my dates more adjustable, I assumed all the flight times would be standard after viewing about 2 days of the week :/

Good to hear that Swiss Air is also recommended, anyone else have first hand experience on these routes / Airlines?

Your best option is Etihad. Short connex in AUH and great space in Coach. I fly them on a frequent basis and even used them on the long hauler to NYC. EY offers a great entertainment menu plus had a lot of games etc. Food is good and Service excellent.

I would not rate Qatar Air and the old Doha Airport (they just building a new one so, now) above Emirates and the new Emirates Terrminal in Dubai!

Emirates still leading! The Entertainmentsystem on the Emirates planes is very sophisticated and I would think Top rated, better than the Qatarair system.

Prices,

EGYPT Air a no name on the market, but it has, as I saw in the Internet, the cheapest prices to Europe in the moment. Vienna about 680.- Euro return.

Slghtly, 100 Euro up than comes AIR BERLIN. (3 month tickets)

Edited by ALFREDO

I used to work from GVA and made the trip twice a month for a while. The biggest problem with GVA is the lack of airlines flying there limiting your choice. I have used Etihad, Turkish, Thai, Swiss, Royal Jordanian and Austrian. The transit at ZRH is always quick and easy if you use TG or Swiss, and there are a lot of flights to GVA, so connection is not a problem in case of delay etc. The train from ZRH is an option too - nice views in the summer! With the other carriers the stopover can be long if you are not careful.

I used to work from GVA and made the trip twice a month for a while. The biggest problem with GVA is the lack of airlines flying there limiting your choice. I have used Etihad, Turkish, Thai, Swiss, Royal Jordanian and Austrian. The transit at ZRH is always quick and easy if you use TG or Swiss, and there are a lot of flights to GVA, so connection is not a problem in case of delay etc. The train from ZRH is an option too - nice views in the summer! With the other carriers the stopover can be long if you are not careful.

Just a quick question, does Swiss provide personal Entertainment systems?

I've used China and KLM through Schipol.

Another time was through CDG in Paris and that was ok going from here, but on the way back from Bangkok I had about an hour to change planes and ended up running to catch the plane, without my dreamed about cigarette break.

Coming back from Bangkok it was China to Schipol and then KLM to Geneva. If I recall we arrived in Geneva before midday.

Friends have gone with Ethihad through Abu Dabi and found it a much better flight than China. Less time hanging around airports, not that i minded. I love Schipol Airport and people watching!! I met the Dublin Fire Brigade on their way to Chicago for St Patricks Day!!!

There are so many ways to get to Geneva, through Paris, London, etc.

Edited by Patsycat

What would the train journey from zurich to geneva be like in january? And roughly how long does it take? I too will be flying to geneva, and perhaps the train journey might be a more fun/adventurous way of transferring between the two cities.

What would the train journey from zurich to geneva be like in january? And roughly how long does it take? I too will be flying to geneva, and perhaps the train journey might be a more fun/adventurous way of transferring between the two cities.

Train journey in Switzerland look into: www.sbb.ch

rolleyes.gif

I would use Swiss, they fly with Airbus 340 to Zurich. That plane has a nice entertainment System with big Screens in Economy. I also recomend to fly into Geneva as the flight over the Alps and the landing between mountains can be spectacular.