Train To Surat Thani

seville

Hey all you Island folk,

I'm looking into the train down to Surat Thani for Jan. How are the 2nd class sleepers? I'm a little confused as to which trains have which accomodations. Also, I need to get on a train after 5:00 PM. I have a 3:00 appt. at Bumrungrad and want to give myself plenty of time to get to the train station.

Also, if I get to Surat Thani around 7:00 is that enough time to get the 8:00 boat to Samui/Phangan?

Can I buy my train ticket from the states? I went to one site that will buy your tickets and send them to you, but the cost is so high it's almost better to fly.

Thanks all

Serville,

your best bet is to go to Hualumphong train station, buy a 2nd class sleeper (fan) for about 420 baht. The sleeper is exactly that, it has bunk beds, you will pay a little more for the lower bunk as it is more comfortable (you can open the window and gaze at the night sky if you wish).

From my memory the train leaves Bangkok at around 4.00 pm, so you will have to hurry if you have an appointment at 3.

When you get off the train at Surat, you will be in good company as there are usually a few people making the same trip to Ko Phan Nagn/Sumui. I am sure you can buy an all in one ticket from Huamphong (Train, bus, ferry) for 600 baht.

If you like to chill go to Ko Pagn Nagn, if you want to go to McDonalds go to Sumui.

have a good trip.

spot on Pablo, you got it in one, you can buy a joint ticket (train, bus, boat) at the train station. If it is busy it's best to buy it in advance, there is an advance ticket sales office in the back on the right hand side of the station. I recommend either the joint ticket with Raja Ferry or SeaTrans. Avoid the Songserm joint ticket as that boat is as old as the hills, and very scary in bad weather. 2nd class sleeper is either with fan or with aircon. I like aircon as it is quieter, and they give you a nice thick blanket to keep warm.

the trains leave at different times, some are slower than others, but if you buy a joint ticket then they will automatically connect you with the right boat. have fun!

Have a look at http://www.travel-online.to/srt/index.htm

you can enter departure/destination town and find hours trains leaving/arriving.

You can opt for aircon or fan second class. Some find aircon too cold, difficult to recommend, but better choose lower berth.

Do not book on the sprinter (I think that the last train leaving Bangkok), that's fine for day travel, airplane style seats, very bad for sleeping, no berths.

Hey thanks everyone. The 4:00 train is out. There is noway I'd make it.

Do both the Rapid Train and the Express have Sleeping Berths? That's what I'd like.

Also, what's the chance, in your opinions, on getting a that type of ticket a day before, I'm going in Jan.

And last question, if I arrive at 6:50 in Surat Thani, can I make an 8:00 boat?

I've gone to the Rail website and the seat availibilty page is down. I'd like to perchase my ticket from here, but not sure if it can be done.

Thanks so much everyone. I know I could just hop on a plane, but I'd rather give the train a go.

Seville

Hi Seville, I wouldn't worry about getting a ticket, should be ok, depends on what time of the month it is, if it's near full moon then you might have a problem but otherwise should be ok. I wouldn't try booking it from home, the cost will be ridiculous, just arrive & head on to the train station & get it from there, if you are going to miss it though as you have a doctors appointment, why don't you spend a night in Bkk first & book the ticket for the next day from one of the agents on Khoa San Rd, or else take the Thai bus from the Southern Bus Terminal, leaves at about 8pm & is better & faster than the tourist VIP bus, bit more expensive but soo worth it, only 24 seats, full recliners, they feed you & don't have to stop as they have working toilets on board, personally I will never take the VIP bus again, what a con!

Hi Boo,

You think the bus is better than the train? I thought the train might be fun because you can mingle a bit more. The time for the bus is attractive and I'm sure it gets there in plenty of time to catch the 8:00AM boat. I can't wait to come by your place and meet you.

Thai bus from the Southern Bus Terminal, leaves at about 8pm & is better & faster than the tourist VIP bus, bit more expensive but soo worth it, only 24 seats, full recliners, they feed you & don't have to stop as they have working toilets on board, personally I will never take the VIP bus again, what a con!

Am confused as the bus from the Southern Bus Terminal is a VIP bus if it has only 24 seats. Do you mean you dislike the tourist type VIP bus that picks up customers at other locations perhaps?

There are two types of VIP bus service AFAIK. One uses 1-2 seating with only 24 seats but the other has normal 2-2 seating with 30 seats. Both have toilet and cost extra. For anyone six foot or who does not want to recline for the whole trip the 24 seat is much better.

Also, what's the chance, in your opinions, on getting a that type of ticket a day before, I'm going in Jan.

If there is no SARS fears I suspect it would be unlikely that you will find a sleeper available on one day notice during peak travel period of January. Remember most travelers are going even further on the train than you and they book early due to its relative low cost and comfort.

biggest problem with a bus out of the southern bus terminal is it drops you off at the bus station outside of surat thani town and you have to get your own transport into town and then find the office for the boat to samui. the taxi drivers even tried to rip off my husband (he is thai and was alone!) so i would be wary of buses out of the southern bus terminal. also, the tourist vip buses boo mentions are usually out of khao san road and often have theft and break down problems. i like the train alot better, you can walk around, and you get a bed to lie down on! and yes, most of the evening trains will connect with the morning boat, or if the train is late, will take you to the next boat. just be sure to buy a joint ticket. and boo is right, make sure to schedule your trip well before full moon (or well after) as the train will packed solid with people heading to the party on koh phangan.

The VIP buses I refer to are the ones that leave from Khao San Road, & pack the tousists on like sardine, they are uncomfortable & can be painful to travel as I am 6ft. The buses from the southern terminal I have taken have always dropped us off at the peir at Donsak & we only have to buy our own ticket for the ferry, maybe I have had good luck with these buses but I know others who tavel this way too & have never had the problems described.

The bus we take leaves later, arrives earlier, becuase it doesn't stop & I have never been on a VIP bus from Khao San that has working toilets on it! :o

I agree, the train is the best way to go but if Seville cannot get a ticket or a sleeper & doesn't want to hang around in BKK. then the southern bus terminal is the best option for her, in my opinion!

Seville, PM me when your coming, it'll be fun to catch up!