Major Political Reform Needed For Thailand : Surin

webfact

Major political reform needed for Thailand : Surin

By Nunthida Phuangthong

The Nation

MADRID -- Asean chief Surin Pitsuwan said yesterday that Thailand badly needed major political reform and social restructuring after recent redshirt protests turned bloody in Bangkok and other major provinces.

Though the situation looks calm after last week's crackdown and most protesters have returned home, the country still faces the task of ensuring permanent peace and stability, he said.

The secretarygeneral of Asean was in Spain this week for an AseanEuropean Union (EU) meeting, where the issue of peace and stability in the region was brought up.

The grouping had earlier expressed concerns about Thailand's political turmoil and urged all parties to exercise restraint and use peaceful methods to resolve the conflict, he said.

Unfortunately, the marathon protest by the red shirts had to be brought to a violent end, which left 88 people and more than 1,500 injured.

The redshirt movement, which comprises workingclass people from rural and urban areas as well as supporters of exPM Thaksin Shinawatra, took to the streets of the capital to call for equal rights and justice.

Surin said the Thai government had to introduce reforms that will bridge the gap in the social strata and bring justice to one and all.

The cause behind the protest was the imbalance between economic and political development, he said.

"It is a lesson for all developing countries, not just Thailand, to learn how to manage social inequality," Said said.

"It is not about being democratic or undemocratic, but about the effectiveness of socialmanagement agencies," he told reporters on the sidelines of the meeting.

Foreign Ministry's deputy permanentsecretary, Chitriya Pinthong, who was representing Thailand, said the recent violence was top on the agenda.

"Member countries were relieved to learn that the government had managed to end the protest, despite some loss of life," she said. "But they understand that the government needs to protect social order and people's lives."

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-05-28

[newsfooter][/newsfooter]

Please don't tell me that the "Secretary General" is from Myanmar.

I can take anything but Myanmar lecturing Thailand about elections would be the clincher.

You don't know Surin Pitsuwan? Lol He is Thai, and was a member of the Democrat party a former foreign minister, before taking on several roles with the United Nations, etc. Thai at Heart - Yank (know nothing) in Brain :)

I can take anything but Myanmar lecturing Thailand about elections would be the clincher.

You don't know Surin Pitsuwan? Lol He is Thai, and was a member of the Democrat party a former foreign minister, before taking on several roles with the United Nations, etc. Thai at Heart - Yank (know nothing) in Brain :)

I don't like your tone. The point was not about him, but about an organisation such as ASEAN lecturing Thailand. Indeed he is quite a heavy hitter and it would make a lot more sense to have a man of his stature as FM than the one they have now. Of course, I bow to your far superior knowledge and ability to open wikepedia, and I apologise to your almightyness simply for not bothering to take just about anything that ASEAN or Thai bureacrats take seriously. I mean, when they speak the world really jumps.

What is your problem? If you can't see the humour in ASEAN and even more ironically, a Thai representative to Asean lecturing his own government then you need a nationalism bypass in order to see that when Thailand gets lectured by an organisation like Asean it is slowly slipping into an abyss.

Choke on your blaa raa and start seeing how the rest of the world is starting to see your country.

As for being American, oh how wrong you are. And if was? What would difference would it make?

Edited by Thai at Heart

I don't like your tone. The point was not about him, but about an organisation such as ASEAN lecturing Thailand. Indeed he is quite a heavy hitter and it would make a lot more sense to have a man of his stature as FM than the one they have now. Of course, I bow to your far superior knowledge and ability to open wikepedia, and I apologise to your almightyness simply for not bothering to take just about anything that ASEAN or Thai bureacrats take seriously. I mean, when they speak the world really jumps.

What is your problem? If you can't see the humour in ASEAN and even more ironically, a Thai representative to Asean lecturing his own government then you need a nationalism bypass in order to see that when Thailand gets lectured by an organisation like Asean it is slowly slipping into an abyss.

Choke on your blaa raa and start seeing how the rest of the world is starting to see your country.

As for being American, oh how wrong you are. And if was? What would difference would it make?

But just so we all agree - Dr. Surin is from Burma :D:D

Edited by SomTumTiger

She did fail to mention one small detail...like the protesters desiring the freedom to elect their leaders without military coups, election fixing and junta backed political meddling. :)

Yes I agree this counttry needs a constitution which keeps the army out of politics. The probelm started when they overthrew a legally elected government. The election bo is the way to do that - not guns

But just so we all agree - Dr. Surin is from Burma :D:D

Burma? He is a Thai citizen of Malay ancestry from Nakhon Sri Thammarat.

Thailand needs two things, and they both affect the Armed forces.

1. A constitution the Armed forces can not take down and rewrite at their pleasure (this means no more coup detats.

2. It needs a constitution that clearly defines the Armed forces are for defense of the country. As with UK, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark the list goes on etc, within the framework of their constitutions the Armed forces are not allowed to turn weapons on their own people. This is the fundamental problem with Thailand. Until the day the Thai peoples vote is able shape politics, the rolling succession of coups determining the countries fate will never allow stability and a move towards a better democratic system.

This is neither pro-red or anti PAD, it is a basic factor that the Armed forces in this country need to stop feathering their own retirement programs. That's what this is all about in the end. Anyone wish to argue to the contrary!

She did fail to mention one small detail...like the protesters desiring the freedom to elect their leaders without military coups, election fixing and junta backed political meddling. :)

Yes I agree this counttry needs a constitution which keeps the army out of politics. The probelm started when they overthrew a legally elected government. The election bo is the way to do that - not guns

That hasn't happened in a LONG time politically. It certainly didn't happen in 2006. The coup displaced a caretaker government that was extra-constitiutional (not legally in place because their time to install an ELECTED governent had expired!)

Mostly caused by crooked politicians going over the top.

Remove the worst of the crooked political shenanigans

and coups would stop too.

It's nicre to think just letting democracy run it's course would solve the problems here,

but then you see who gets elected via 'thailands version of elections' ,

if it actually WAS free and fair and informed election of public servants

by an informed electorate, the coups would stop.

If the checks and balances worked and those elected could be held accountable,

the coups would stop. That is what some are trying to do, make them accountable,

and another faction is trying mightily, and amorally, to prevent that.

But sadly it is a post-fuedal, back country under-elite controled, power broker, riddled system,

prone to exotic levels of abuse of the average Somchai's franchise for the avarice of his overlords.

This country needs a constitution that keeps the businessmen/politicians out of politics.

The last 20 years of commercialized political maneuvering has created a class that feels

furthering their business interests is the prime reason to seek election.

PTP wants to roll back the laws... easier for them to do business.

That is the INVERSE to what Thailand REALLY needs.

Tougher graft laws with REAL teeth, 10 years sentences and 10 million baht fines.

Make getting caught for graft HURT in the long run.

Most recently he army has acted as an escape valve when politics goes off the tracks,

easy enough to not need the escape valve if you clean up the source of the problem.

1. A constitution the Armed forces can not take down and rewrite at their pleasure (this means no more coup detats.

2. It needs a constitution that clearly defines the Armed forces are for defense of the country. As with UK, Canada, France, Germany, Australia, New Zealand, Denmark the list goes on etc, within the framework of their constitutions the Armed forces are not allowed to turn weapons on their own people. This is the fundamental problem with Thailand. Until the day the Thai peoples vote is able shape politics, the rolling succession of coups determining the countries fate will never allow stability and a move towards a better democratic system.

This is neither pro-red or anti PAD, it is a basic factor that the Armed forces in this country need to stop feathering their own retirement programs. That's what this is all about in the end. Anyone wish to argue to the contrary!

Except this tilts the balance towards the police. No counter vailing force.

Need to corral both together... and not die trying.

Argue, no; amend hopefully. 'That's PART of what this is all about. You have accurately described one of the fault lines Thailand is breaking up upon.

It's not a question of an unimpeachable constitution. Any large, mobilised force (armed or otherwise) can take over government or sovereignty of a nation if motivated to do so as history demonstrates repeatedly.

What is required is re-education/re-alignment of the military as to it's prime role if those empowered wish it - and you can anticipate some resistance to that!

To criticise the militarys perceived prime role at this point in history is to invite a lese-majeste accusation and therein lies the Catch-22. As with any military organisation that saw great empowerment in the cold war it is difficult to re-align oneself with democratic niceties and the wishes of the plebiate from Caesar to Putin to Nathan Jessop! (See- "A Few Good Men")

The militaries of Asian nations such as Burma and North Korea have done very nicely and see no benefit in handing over their wealth or power to people in business suits who will cheat them of their hard won gains.

On the point of Dr Surin's statement I fear his comments are those expected of him in his role at ASEAN and not necessarily for broadcast in Thai to those listening to the ricefield radio....

Even Khun Kasit can sound rational when speaking to a foreign audience but reserves the lunacy expected of him for the home turf. It's an ancient diplomatic art.

It surprises me that so many contributors sound off on matters Thai without even a cursory reading or understanding of thai political history or even culture (and yet still manage to echo Thanong :D)

I guess you can get all you need from reading the Nation throught the bottom of a beer bottle.

Feel free to flame away.... :)

Give us a bloody f'ing break. From neither pro red or pro yellow who are equally a blight on Thailand. It was only the Army that stopped this country from being over run by scum that would have seen Thailand fed on by wolves. Actually it was not only the Army but a government with some balls in coalition. Thaksin with control of the Army, cops and justice system would make Burma look like Disneyland. Seig Heil King Thaksin. Dreams of an Army that is at the beck and call like that of a western country is fantasy when your cop force is a complete and utter incompotent failure. At the moment Thailand has the governance it needs until such time as the Red mob learns some basic human manners and behavior, Thaksin's ambilical cord to Thailand is completely severed and a police force that actually does what a police force is supposed to do emerges.

But back to the topic of does Thailand need major politicial reform? Of course it does when the two extremes of Thailand clash like standing on a dirt road in Isaan as the latest BMW cruises past cronic social poverty. Thailand is not a poor country which is what makes it so bloody appalling. To correct that the constitution needs completely over hauled by all parties.

At such times as the last two months I thank both my god and my partner's god that Thailand has an Army to protect it from idiots that would take their pleasure at Thailand's pain.

Give us a bloody f'ing break. From neither pro red or pro yellow who are equally a blight on Thailand. It was only the Army that stopped this country from being over run by scum that would have seen Thailand fed on by wolves. Actually it was not only the Army but a government with some balls in coalition. Thaksin with control of the Army, cops and justice system would make Burma look like Disneyland. Seig Heil King Thaksin. Dreams of an Army that is at the beck and call like that of a western country is fantasy when your cop force is a complete and utter incompotent failure. At the moment Thailand has the governance it needs until such time as the Red mob learns some basic human manners and behavior, Thaksin's ambilical cord to Thailand is completely severed and a police force that actually does what a police force is supposed to do emerges.

But back to the topic of does Thailand need major politicial reform? Of course it does when the two extremes of Thailand clash like standing on a dirt road in Isaan as the latest BMW cruises past cronic social poverty. Thailand is not a poor country which is what makes it so bloody appalling. To correct that the constitution needs completely over hauled by all parties.

At such times as the last two months I thank both my god and my partner's god that Thailand has an Army to protect it from idiots that would take their pleasure at Thailand's pain.

Thaksin popularity is not only because of his free handsout .

He also represents to his supporters someone from outside that challenged the elite on equal terms

An elite that ignored the plight of Isaan for decades .

To solve thai problems , the army and violence is not the solution .

A governement of national unity is . For i doubt that whatever Abhisit does for Isaan will suffice if

Isaan dont have also a voice in running the country .

If this is not possible a policy of decentralisation where provinces are largely responsible of their own affairs

would be a secund option .

All in all whatever the result of next elections , whoever wins or can form a coalition , will have to

take in account the plight of the defeated party .

PS : Of course the reds have also to understand that Thaksin can never return

Edited by DoubleTrouble54

One has to wonder if Thailand isn't becoming more and more like North Korea & South Korea.

- The communist, terrorist supporting, oppressing, poor North.

- The democratic, freedom of expression loving, capitalistic and rich South.

Khao Yai could be the DMZ. :)

Well said! Go Army!

In the removal of the Red shirts they where there by lawful Government order

same as all other countries of the western world

When Martial law is declared in the USA the military are put on the streets to protect the country

The same applied to Australia, the military can be used at any time that the need arises if they are asked by the legal government

The Army did not take to the street of Bkk on their own in the 2010 cleaning up of the streets