Thai Police Force Must Undergo An Urgent Overhaul

webfact

Maybe all the farangs will be happy when Thailand is a police state like the UK and America?

Or maybe they'd be happy if the police simply performed their duties properly with honor and without the endless extortion attempts.

Exactly!

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What about the laws?

When I was in South Thailand, a motorcycle ridden by three children (Prathom 1-3), who lost control of the bike and not wearing helmets-, collided with an izuzu pick up. The three kids were killed; however, the pick up driver had to pay and possibly face time (not sure of the end result...)

Surely rules like this "the bigger vehicle pays" isn't right.....

What about the laws????

Nothing like stating the obvious, will it ever happen>>>>>>>LOL you really want an answer

Too much money at stake and that is what controls everything..inc the Police :)

Reformed???

How about disbanded and start over. What Thailand has now are a bunch of Bloody Incompetent Boobs (BIB) I don’t know how most of them can, in good conscious, remain on the job. What exactly do they do – besides take bribes and make traffic worse?

Not a source of comfort. Now that’s an understatement.

Corruption = Thai Cops.

Will anything change in Land of Scams (LOS)? I suspect not, but it is yet another source of public anger is it not?

It could be different.

Since childhood I have had the theory that anyone who wants to be a cop shouldn't be allowed to be one. I'm still a 57 year old kid... :)

I was a Police Officer and served my charges well. I never was corrupt in any way, but then I was in the US and not in Thailand. I cringe when I observe the Boys in Brown doing their thing , and wonder why they are so corrupt. I suppose it is true in most of Asia and ofcourse in parts of Europe and latin and S America.

The only way to change it is to start at the top, remove corruption at the top and let it filter down,

see if the new found balls of Abhisit can do that, but I wont hold my breath.

switching the police for the army and creating a whole new police force just isn't practicable

If the police were paid a reasonable wage, and at the same time an effective complaints comission and an independent corruption agency were formed, something might be accomplished. The practise of auctioning high income generating senior postings might be a good place to start. Low ranking police need to collect tea money to turn an insufficient wage into a living one. High ranking Police regard their black income as a perk of the job and frequently become so involved with protecting criminality that it's difficult to judge where the police end and the criminals begin. Drug dealing and manufacture, dodgy real estate deals, arms supply, and the endemic prostitution industry are all areas where high ranking police officers can collect many times their annual salary from a single protection deal. In some cases and localities senior police officers control these industries themselves. This is the sort of thing that must be addressed to restore credability to the police force. However the issue of political favouritism will doubtless receive the most attention initially, because the instigators of these proposed clean up campaigns are politicians.

All solid reasons why the police essentially ignored Abhisit directions about dealing with the Reds.

Red are for police status quo, but Abhisit has been starting at the TOP to rein in Police corruption,

with the top man not getting the position he paid for, and they see this as a trickle down effect for all cops.

But with their mis-application of law... towards this massive red incitement against most Thais,

they may well have over played their hand (or underplayed by doing nothing).

Edited by animatic

Many young Thai are inducted into the army for a spell then released into the public pool , why not train these inductees in proper police work and proceedure , when their time is up , make them police and put the replaced police in the army to learn some personal discipline . I think there is , or at least should be , far more discipline in the army and this method would give a quicker transition than even attempting to retrain a multitude of the current corrupt force .

Maybe all the farangs will be happy when Thailand is a police state like the UK and America?

Or maybe they'd be happy if the police simply performed their duties properly with honor and without the endless extortion attempts.

Precisely! However, in all fairness, we can't really expect the police to perform their duties with honour and without extortion if they're only being paid peanuts...

From what I've been told, the police have to pay for their own uniforms, gear (incl. hand gun) and many of them even have to use their own motorbikes!

If the state doesn't "care" about them how can we expect them to care about the state/their duties?

I for one don't want to see Thailand turning into a police state like we have back in the west - that's the other extreme.

If the police were paid a reasonable wage, and at the same time an effective complaints comission and an independent corruption agency were formed, something might be accomplished. The practise of auctioning high income generating senior postings might be a good place to start. Low ranking police need to collect tea money to turn an insufficient wage into a living one. High ranking Police regard their black income as a perk of the job and frequently become so involved with protecting criminality that it's difficult to judge where the police end and the criminals begin. Drug dealing and manufacture, dodgy real estate deals, arms supply, and the endemic prostitution industry are all areas where high ranking police officers can collect many times their annual salary from a single protection deal. In some cases and localities senior police officers control these industries themselves. This is the sort of thing that must be addressed to restore credability to the police force. However the issue of political favouritism will doubtless receive the most attention initially, because the instigators of these proposed clean up campaigns are politicians.

All solid reasons why the police essentially ignored Abhisit directions about dealing with the Reds.

Red are for police status quo, but Abhisit has been starting at the TOP to rein in Police corruption,

with the top man not getting the position he paid for, and they see this as a trickle down effect for all cops.

But with their mis-application of law... towards this massive red incitement against most Thais,

they may well have over played their hand (or underplayed by doing nothing).

The police essentially ignored directions about dealing with the yellows 2 yrs go.

Come on the yellows are backed by the equally corrupt army so dont try making them out to be whiter then white, and the reds to be oh so for the status quo.

I also don't expect much, but it is certainly a much needed thing. Abhisit has been able to do quite a lot legislation-wise. Maybe this is something they can do after they are back in power, after the next election.

The thai government loves the police just the way they are. To them it is not broken and works well in thier favour so they will not change it.

Precisely! However, in all fairness, we can't really expect the police to perform their duties with honour and without extortion if they're only being paid peanuts...

From what I've been told, the police have to pay for their own uniforms, gear (incl. hand gun) and many of them even have to use their own motorbikes!

If the state doesn't "care" about them how can we expect them to care about the state/their duties?

I for one don't want to see Thailand turning into a police state like we have back in the west - that's the other extreme.

With a proper training schedule for all (not just recruits) decent pay packets, uniform and equipment supplied it maybe possible to turn a horde of tea money grabbers into an honourable body of law enforcement officers. But it's a big ask!

am i correct in thinking Thailand has one of the largest police forces in the world? and that you need to have a degree to get in?

I read somewhere that Thailand has one of one highest police per capita of any country in the world. This to control

( red shirts aside) a generally peacefull Buddhist country. If you go to Laos, you will be lucky to see a policeman.

But sadly the math makes sense. Hire a policeman for 6000 baht a month. Unleash him on the streets to shake down people

for money, and he will be able to send far more up the ladder. So for a tea money generating machine, the more the better.

It was nausaous to watch the videos about the jet ski scammers in Phuket. At one point the tourist getting scammed

had called in the police to help him. While the arguement is going on the policeman is standing there doing nothing.

The poor tourist did not realize the policeman was in on the scam for his kickback.

If Thailand wants to revitalize their tourist industry, one of the first things they should do is reform the police.

Incidents like the Kingpower scams at the airport that are broadcast around the world cost the country millions in

tourist dollars. Maybe a photograph on the front page of the Bangkok post of a corrupt policeman in handcuffs being led

away to jail would make an impression on the other police....... Nope have never seen that. Only references for

police actually caught in corruption being assigned the the famous and deadly " inactive post".......

Can you guys elaborate on how the west is more of a police state?

Wife and her friend stopped at market to buy flowers, etc for temple. (double parked of course) On opening LH door, elderly couple (81 & 83) on motorbike passing on the left, clipped the door with handle bar and laid the bike down. Due to age etc of couple, wife/friend took them to hospital for x ray of hand and bandage same as well as checking the lady out. The total bill was 1400 baht for treatment etc at hospital. For insurance to pay claim, a police report had to be made. They went to station and were told the auto driver would have to pay 400 baht to police for obstructing traffic, the old man had no license nor helmet (this info was supplied by wife and friend to police at station). Police then said the driver of motor bike would have pay a fine of 600 baht, thus 1000 baht for the overworked buzzards to fill out documents for submission to insurance. Needless to say all parties pleaded poverty and said they would return later, and got out while the getting was good and parted on good terms except for their thought of police. Wife's friend has first class insurance, I told them (after the fact) rate would have gone up more than what they paid for the old folks treatment, but you know how their minds work???? Just another example of police service and dedication.

:D Should of done it years ago, will they do it???

The police are a liability to the nation, they did nothing about the ocupations (red and yellow) of bangkok. So you get the army doing crowd control on their own citiizens. Thats why i can see this situation happing again.

They should do somthing about the court system while they are at it. :)

One of my pet peeves is the armed thieves (police) that collects extortion money all morning for motorcyclists without helmets and then drive off on their bikes...WITHOUT WEARING A HELMET THEMSELVES! I have no problem with them writing tickets to be paid at the station for riding without helmets by the way.

You usually have a choice pay 200bht at the scene or 1000Bht at the Police station later. Guess what most do

OR YOU CAN JUST RESPECT THE LAW AND PAY ZERO !!!!

For the record - I am here in Phuket.. The other evening around 4pm I was walking home when a policeman beckoned me towards him. He asked where I was going - told me to get on his bike and drove me to my front door. He did not want any money. The next evening I saw him at an eatery, we shook hands and I have a photo with him off-duty. The reason ? mmmm I guess I gave him respect every day when I passed him by doing his job... What goes around comes around.. I have been here one month and all I have ever got is respect and courtesy, low prices, same as the Thais, given motorbikes to lend for free and cars too. Shared cigarettes, bought beers...What is up with everyone on here ???? Don't you know how to make FRIENDS ????

For the record - I am here in Phuket.. The other evening around 4pm I was walking home when a policeman beckoned me towards him. He asked where I was going - told me to get on his bike and drove me to my front door. He did not want any money. The next evening I saw him at an eatery, we shook hands and I have a photo with him off-duty. The reason ? mmmm I guess I gave him respect every day when I passed him by doing his job... What goes around comes around.. I have been here one month and all I have ever got is respect and courtesy, low prices, same as the Thais, given motorbikes to lend for free and cars too. Shared cigarettes, bought beers...What is up with everyone on here ???? Don't you know how to make FRIENDS ????

I have a suggestions for you. Rent a car or motorcycle. Take a driving/riding tour around the country for a month or two. Report back about how well you respected the traffic laws, and then report about may many traffic fines you paid.

Paying fines in Thailand has nothing to do with obeying the law. It is simply a matter of being in the wrong place at the wrong time, particularly with regard to traffic offences.

Edited by way2muchcoffee

The Thai police are a bunch of criminals in uniform. Corruption is near-universal, and those who refuse to participate in corruption never rise to any rank of importance, so any good ones are unable to do much anyway.

They have zero oversight, and apart from other corrupt cops, zero accountability.

Weak judges and toady lawyers normally kow-tow to the cops. Foreign embassies recognise the problem, but are powerless to do anything, and basically only care about a case if it is in the newspapers back home.

Pray that you never appear on their radar scope, because there is no help coming if you do.

If you're lucky, your embassy will send you sandwiches in jail.

And despite what some people think they are not incompetent, they are extremely competent at what they do. Unfortunately one of the things they do is extort money from the people they are meant to be serving.

You'll learn Kemo Sabe, you'll learn. Good luck with your 'friends'.

Can you guys elaborate on how the west is more of a police state?

Sure!

In Oz the public are so frightened of the police, when on the road, that if a police car is doing 20 Km on the freeway no one will pass them and the mobile roadblock will continue until they leave the freeway.

In a country town the local Sgt and 3 officers walked into a gun shop, handcuffed the 15 year old son of the owner who was watching the shop for his dad (who had gone for a dump), threw him into the back of their paddy wagon, took him back to the station and grilled him for 6 hours about a trivial complaint. Apart from the fact that the arrest was illegal, they didn't bother to have a witness present when questioning a minor and wouldn't allow him to make a phone call or contact his parents who, in the meantime had organised a search for him...the upshot was that nothing was done against the police as the minister said that the police "probably had a good reason for acting as they did"

In Oz no-one likes or respects the wallopers!

This is precisely the reason Abhisit is needed in this country - he is honest. He knows how Thailand must change, what is needed both to improve law and order enforcement issues as well as to begin to confront corruption. A formidable task indeed, but Abhisit is Thailand's best chance to make some progress.

Couldn't agree more. The Police area a disgrace to their name. They police nothing but bribes for themselves, have no actual respect for upholding anyones rights and generally are extremely lazy not wishing to get involved with anything that is remotely like work.

During the rabble reds - they were out in force on Ramkhamhaeng 39 at the Pracha Uthit intersection trying to snatch 1,000 Baht a time from any motorist with a phone to his ear. As a Farang I was targeted but simply rolled down the window and on hearing the 'order' to park my car at PTT and go back to the police box and pay 1,000 Baht he was told simply 'Kwai Daeng' the window rolled up and I drove off. He did not even take down my number! Maybe by refusing to pay bribes, that issue may go away but I doubt it.

But this has been going on for all time eternal. My wife was offered a job in the Police but was told she had to pay 100,000 Baht for the privilege! Asked why - she was told so she could then take bribes that would make more than that in any one month! It was that open...

No perhaps a solution would be to fire the lot above sergeant level and induct the low end into the army and let the army rule for a few years. That should then allow Abhisit the ability to try to reestablish a decent police force - ones that respect law - but then again TIT - wishful thinking... :)

Classic double play - suck them in then hit them when they least expect it - its coming - sure as there's shit in a cat!

Classic double play - suck them in then hit them when they least expect it - its coming - sure as there's shit in a cat!

Cal me cynical but I believe it's referred to as the "Long Con" in some circles... :)

MrJ. :D

Edited by MrJizlam

spinal; as you seem to have the system figured after 1 month in country, when you call a cop a 'friend' after a ride home and others, friends, after your 1 month tenure, I would suggest you reflect on your selection/definition of friend. Not disputing your word at all, but just some friendly advice to someone who may need a real friend in the future. Have a good day .

This is precisely the reason Abhisit is needed in this country - he is honest. He knows how Thailand must change, what is needed both to improve law and order enforcement issues as well as to begin to confront corruption. A formidable task indeed, but Abhisit is Thailand's best chance to make some progress.

Couldn't agree more. The Police area a disgrace to their name. They police nothing but bribes for themselves, have no actual respect for upholding anyones rights and generally are extremely lazy not wishing to get involved with anything that is remotely like work.

During the rabble reds - they were out in force on Ramkhamhaeng 39 at the Pracha Uthit intersection trying to snatch 1,000 Baht a time from any motorist with a phone to his ear. As a Farang I was targeted but simply rolled down the window and on hearing the 'order' to park my car at PTT and go back to the police box and pay 1,000 Baht he was told simply 'Kwai Daeng' the window rolled up and I drove off. He did not even take down my number! Maybe by refusing to pay bribes, that issue may go away but I doubt it.

But this has been going on for all time eternal. My wife was offered a job in the Police but was told she had to pay 100,000 Baht for the privilege! Asked why - she was told so she could then take bribes that would make more than that in any one month! It was that open...

No perhaps a solution would be to fire the lot above sergeant level and induct the low end into the army and let the army rule for a few years. That should then allow Abhisit the ability to try to reestablish a decent police force - ones that respect law - but then again TIT - wishful thinking... :)

Refusing to pay bribes is the way to go!

In almost 4 years of driving both car and motocyc here i have always refused to pay bribes and till now have had 2 tickets (one for speeding of which i was guilty and another for not being in the left lane but also refused to pay on the spot even with a ticket )

Also if my licence is taken i remind them that in itself is an offence and then i refuse to leave the scene of the crime without a copy of his ID or get my licence back in hand,

THese days the police around the area where i live just wave me on if they make the mistake of pulling me for a shakedown.

I also don't expect much, but it is certainly a much needed thing. Abhisit has been able to do quite a lot legislation-wise. Maybe this is something they can do after they are back in power, after the next election.

apisit and the democratic party as a whole need to start the action of cleaning up the police heads and military heads NOW.... certainly the action required is.... NOW

military chief, anupong, very much like the four northern governors failing to take action against the reds and action to protect govt houses, needs to be replaced and relocated IMMEDIATELY for his role of inactivity during the crises.... he really can not be left untouched until his retirement next few months.... he needs to be reprimanded promptly and severely NOW....

anupong is casting a very bad example for other dept heads.... for assuming that apisit is too much of a gentleman.... to take any drastic actions.... :D

for a moment i was ranting like i were apisit.... :)

South Korea managed to reform their whole police force several years ago and now have Asias best Police Force. The government sacked all policemen over the age of 36 years, had a huge recruitment drive, new police colleges, raised the pay and pensions and bettered the conditions.. Their police are also policed by members of the public and civil servants... any policeman found to be in any way corrupt is immidiately sent to prison and loses all pension rights etc.... it can be done if the will is there.