Expats Views Sought On Bangkok's Restoration

webfact

Normally our views are never asked for,and actively resisted,considering Bangkok is heavily financed by Tourism.

Call me cynical if you want,but I can smell Farang cash injections required here , rather than mere ideas and advisory

input.

Of course they want foreign injected cash, just like all countries want foreign injected cash. Even developed western states seek outside finical means. Las Vegas built their new city center from Dubai cash. That is they way of the world these days.

I think this all makes sense and it is a nice gesture to ask for input from expats. I will give them the benefit of the doubt.

• Replies 200
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Many of us believe that Central World should not be rebuilt. Instead a People's Park should be built with a large memorial to the citizens slaughtered by the military in the 1976, 1992 and 2010 pro-democracy demonstrations.

Only 'many' in your own delusion.

Great you guys , constantly crying you are not allowed any say etc in Thailand , a possible opportunity is offered and what happens ???????????????????

More of the same old rhetoric THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND , sniveling bunch of old maids with no clue of anything positive , shame on you .

Why not use those brain cells to think of ideas for Bangkok instead of acting like children?.

I have forgotten the amount of stories on TV about farang being classed as second citizens yet once we are asked for our opinion many carry on like the uneducated fools that have caused this mess.

Stop acting like spoilt brats and lets have some ideas.

p.s. not everybody just a select few.

Sorry, did I miss the specific idea that your brain cell came up with ?

I rarely comment other than in the Thai Language forum for the very reason that every thread gets turned into something that it's not. You're Red are you - don't care. You're Yellow are you - don't care. You're mourning 88 dead people you never knew - don't care. Yes the whole thing is a great shame, but i don't wanna see it on this topic - don't care. Go and open up your own topic in the General topic section titled - i'm mourning the people slain by the military come and join me (please wear a black armband if you're participating in this thread). Yeah, something like that. Go on, off you pop.

Quite, mourning people who you do not know is more about seeking gratification. How many grieve for all those who die everyday in road accidents? The huge number of dead and injured during Songkran?

Apart from that, why do people hijack various topics for their own ends? This topic is about the BMA seeking people's views.

Expats Views Sought On Bangkok's Restoration

So in fact the aussie and english lad are now considered advisers to the government?

I am sure Jeff Savage will be telling the prison officers how to improve the Bangkok Hilton.

Many of us believe that Central World should not be rebuilt. Instead a People's Park should be built with a large memorial to the citizens slaughtered by the military in the 1976, 1992 and 2010 pro-democracy demonstrations.

I agree! ---- other than the fact that there was no "pro-democracy" demonstration in 2010! (well there were the multi-colored shirts but it seems a bit extreem to count the one death at Sala Daeng at the hands of an m-79 grenade launched by the reds that killed one person that may not have been a demonstrator!

Go back and listen to the speeches from the red shirt stages and try telling us all again that this was about Democracy!

believe this would be a part of the rebuilding/healing process. As the deaths and injuries from the current unrest were spread out in the city, rather than localized in one place, I suggest Lumphini Park as a better site of a possible memorial. Lumphini Park is a very nice place. Also, I would not build a memorial to the victims of a particular 'side' in the unrest, but rather a memorial to those of all sides, since we all lost in this unfortunate event. A memorial to a time when we poor humans were unable to resolve our differences in a better way and those that paid for it with their lives.

Great you guys , constantly crying you are not allowed any say etc in Thailand , a possible opportunity is offered and what happens ???????????????????

More of the same old rhetoric THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH THE SUBJECT AT HAND , sniveling bunch of old maids with no clue of anything positive , shame on you .

And then there is Dumball that couldn't handle living in Thailand, but moves to Cambodia and hangs out on Thaivisa :D

But he does have a point.

1) Keep Thailand Thai (don't try and make BKK into Singapore!)

2) End 2 tier pricing for all government owned places and enforce the law against 2-tier pricing in private businesses

3) Train the police in TOURIST areas to speak English a bit better. (I get tired of playing interpretter!)

4) Pass the ideas on to Abhisit :)

Will the landowners agree? Will the leaseholder (Central) agree? And can we have another memorial to those killed and injured by non-military personnel?

I don't believe there are allegations that any great number of people were killed by non-military personnel. There were on-duty military and off-duty military, but all of the snipers were military.

Oh ye with the crystal ball so you know that for a fact do you?

Normally our views are never asked for,and actively resisted,considering Bangkok is heavily financed by Tourism.

Call me cynical if you want,but I can smell Farang cash injections required here , rather than mere ideas and advisory

input.

You Sir, are cynical. That doesn't mean you are wrong though. This whole thing seems to me like meer lip service directed at foreigners to make us feel as though they care what we think. That is the first step to getting us to open our wallets again. The fact they acknowledge openly they need foreigners in any capacity as a start, I guess.

You and your friends believe the red terrorists who burnt down Central World. Fire comes out of your mouth.

Ah flatulence is incendiary:?

Right, methane. Better to improve the digestion.

I agree. The governments attitude of lets just rebuild and without any thought to those killed and maimed is not a sound idea. Bringing expats into the equation just bolsters the Government position.

Not many Thais would shop there. Think of all those "pees".Ghost_Emoticon_by_josuerocha.gifghost_by_zealivityfive.gifGhost_Emoticon_by_josuerocha.gifghost_by_zealivityfive.gif

Who is us ? and how many ?

Who is us ? and how many ?

I think Bangkok needs a park much more than another shopping mall. Kaengk's suggestion is really solid if you can just pause and think about it.

Call it a start to the sufficiency economy also in Bangkok for a change.

As for how many: The topic is 'ideas'. For one person to have an idea is enough. This is not a democracy, in case you missed the repeat memos.

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

Make no mistakes!

Bangkok is subject to fire and/or water. Any investment done is subject to one or both of the before mentioned elements.

BANGKOK IS SINKING! - literally!

But if you enjoy literally the game of mud-slinging go ahead and invest.

There are plans for a long time to move the capital onto higher grounds. Some sections have moved already. The rest is mind games and mud slinging international.

You and your friends believe the red terrorists who burnt down Central World. Fire comes out of your mouth.

That is correct.

Those who supported the burnings have no say in the rebuilding.

They would like to support more burnings.

The red cheerleaders, only support destruction.

No say? Oh, boo-hoo.

Support more burnings? Hmm, only your PC. :D

Only support destruction? Dear, oh dear. Your generalisations, stereotyping and bias make your posts quite humorous.

Have you ever thought of toning it down a bit? You know, be a bit more realistic and write something that other posters might actually take notice of?

Or do you just need a hug? :)

Whether you liked Thaksin or not, the Thaksin years were wonderful years for Thailand, probably the best that I've lived here.

I have no problem with that (although quite a few former alleged drug dealers and their families might).<snip>

And did you post anything at the time the "drug dealers" were being wiped out?

There was hardly a squeak from anyone on this forum at that time. Apart from one well known and missed poster who is no longer with us. RIP SRJ.

Many of us believe that Central World should not be rebuilt.

u might be right .

could be left standing as a stark reminder to the 2 months the reds (issan/laos) came to town and as, good neighbors, burned and looted as they left.

the jews say it best, "never forget"

If they elect Tony Blair as the next PM, all their problems will be solved. :)

spacer.gif1198376.jpg

I thought that was exactly what they did do - elect a Thai version of Tony Be Liar. Just a pretty face, no experience, nice smile, useless. :D

If they elect Tony Blair as the next PM, all their problems will be solved. :)

spacer.gif1198376.jpg

I thought that was exactly what they did do - elect a Thai version of Tony Be Liar. Just a pretty face, no experience, nice smile, useless. :D

Good effort at hijacking the thread just to make facetious comments.

I don't think anyone who has been an MP since 1991 lacks experience and he would have been in the cabinet before he was 30 years of age - if the rules allowed it.

Useless ? Hmmm - I think there may have a bloodbath in Bangkok with other people at the helm.

There was hardly a squeak from anyone on this forum at that time.

I wouldn't know. I wasn't a member at that time. Nor were you funnily enough.

It wouldn't surprise me however if what you say were true. Thaksin has always been good at PR, and at the time of his so called war on drugs, he sold it well. When being told that short-cuts were being taken in order to take menaces off the streets, who couldn't or wouldn't applaud that notion?

General public didn't know though exactly what it would lead to: innocents murdered, police settling scores. But Thaksin did - or should have done. It was his job and his decision. Him and his followers can't blame the public for his bad decisions just because they, the public, went along with it, no more than Thaksin would pass over credit for the good things he did in office because of what the public thought at the time.

Edited by rixalex

There was hardly a squeak from anyone on this forum at that time.

I wouldn't know. I wasn't a member at that time. Nor were you funnily enough.

It wouldn't surprise me however if what you say were true. Thaksin has always been good at PR, and at the time of his so called war on drugs, he sold it well. When being told that short-cuts were being taken in order to take menaces off the streets, who couldn't or wouldn't applaud that notion?

General public didn't know though exactly what it would lead to: innocents murdered, police settling scores. But Thaksin did - or should have done. It was his job and his decision. Him and his followers can't blame the public for his bad decisions just because they, the public, went along with it, no more than Thaksin would pass over credit for the good things he did in office because of what the public thought at the time.

At the time? --- ummmmmm how many members were there in Aug 2003?

edit -- I am member 4271 and never posted in the political threads for a couple of years after joining ... IMHO it takes a few years to even BEGIN to put things together to create any synthesis of political theory versus politics in Thailand. One of the many reasons that noob's get it wrong so often...

Edited by jdinasia

At the time? --- ummmmmm how mny members were there in Aug 2003?

I was "there" but i wasn't here. At times, i wish i still wasn't.

There was a time, before i came "here", when i believed that noone educated and informed could possibly not fail to see Thaksin for what he was / is. Coming "here" has proved me very wrong. Delusion does not discriminate its victims.

WOW..it seems like the red farang trolls have had absolutely no joy lately and have chosen to let loose and take it all out on this one thread.. :D

pathetic...

If you are all so "patriotic" to "the" cause (aka-taksins cause) then why dont you join Purcell and the crying Brit idiot??

Im sure they would welcome a few more shoulders to cry on while awaiting trial :)

Seriously..Even my new GF is somewhat sympathetic to the red cause but it doesnt mean i have to loose my brain...

wake up!!!!!