Best Moped To Buy ? Honda Yamaha ?

dmax

I've owned a PCX for the last 6 months and covered close to 4,000kms. It's been totally reliable, economical and a joy to own, I can heartily recommend it. I use it mostly for nipping around town for which it's ideal (don't believe what you may read about it being too big/bulky/heavy), but it's also comfortable and fast enough for longer runs if that's what you're after. The engine is a very smooth starter and quiet, the brakes are excellent for a small bike and the idle stop has been flawless.

I reckon it's easily the best small auto available here but then it's also the most expensive, I'd say go for it, you won't regret it :)

PCX looks good to me ... only issue may be bodywork damage if you drop it? But it's nice looking for a scooter.

I have a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135cc - also a good bike - bigger wheels than a PCX so good on rough, broken roads and enough zip for city traffic. Only problem I have with the Nouvo is warm starting can be a problem ... need to kick it over before pressing the starter.

PCX has fuel injection so starting may be more reliable?

PCX looks good to me ... only issue may be bodywork damage if you drop it? But it's nice looking for a scooter.

I have a Yamaha Nouvo Elegance 135cc - also a good bike - bigger wheels than a PCX so good on rough, broken roads and enough zip for city traffic. Only problem I have with the Nouvo is warm starting can be a problem ... need to kick it over before pressing the starter.

If you drop any bike it's likely to hurt !

The low friction motor (which in part enables the 'idle stop' feature) added to the fuel injection virtually guarantees you'd never have such a problem with the PCX. Starts every time like a dream......... totally reliable :) !

The low friction motor (which in part enables the 'idle stop' feature) added to the fuel injection virtually guarantees you'd never have such a problem with the PCX. Starts every time like a dream......... totally reliable :) !

Here's something interesting I've just found New belt system for autos by Yamaha If you check you will find more info on this. The development is of a much more compact automatic transmission unit employing a drive belt that is 40 % shorter than what the autos use now. From what I've read the belt will last twice as long (up to 50,000 kilometers or so) and the horsepower to the back wheel efficiency will be substantially greater. Anyone know more about this new development?

Here's something interesting I've just found New belt system for autos by Yamaha If you check you will find more info on this. The development is of a much more compact automatic transmission unit employing a drive belt that is 40 % shorter than what the autos use now. From what I've read the belt will last twice as long (up to 50,000 kilometers or so) and the horsepower to the back wheel efficiency will be substantially greater. Anyone know more about this new development?

Em, no !....

Em, no !....

the yammys cvt belts already lasts 35-55k km, and cost 990 baht to replace at yammy shop. the Elegance has more power up the hills than PCX, and it brakes and handles better. PCX is more comfy though, and in the shoppingcenters you get to park with the big bikes :D

the yammys cvt belts already lasts 35-55k km, and cost 990 baht to replace at yammy shop. the Elegance has more power up the hills than PCX, and it brakes and handles better. PCX is more comfy though, and in the shoppingcenters you get to park with the big bikes :)

Enjoy till there are too many of them, then you can go and find a spot with all the other bikes or you may not find an empty space for your PCX. But its a very nice Scooter, no question about that.

Looks the same as the tech in Honda's Wave 110i- AT.

If you look closely at the pic it has a sprocket on the output.

So basically it uses a belt CVT but still has a chain final drive.

It will be more efficient than the older one belt scooters, but it will probably be less efficient than a single chain bike.

I can see why they did this but it adds complexity to get a little more convenience.

At some point you'll have to replace the belt, chain, and sprockets on this design.

I'll just stick to my one belt in my old tech Nouvo, it does the job OK for me even if it isn't as fuel efficient.

Gas is so cheap in a scooter, I just don't care if its ~15% less efficient as a chain drive.

Edited by ttakata