1 Year Visa Based On Taking Care Of Child Born In Thailand

I am in the process of getting divorced, but it is not final. In the meantime the child from faran-thai marriage lives with father. So I applied for 1 year visa extension based on having a thai child. As the divorce is pending and custody has not been decided by the court, I was asked to return when divorce is final. I got 2 months extension. In early July the divorce is now still pending, may be finalized in August. Extension is based on taking care of a child. What other papers can I provide that shows I take care of a thai child before the divorce is final. I can show papers on court proceedings and custody application, but was told that was not sufficient. The fact, however, is that father takes care of the child and the thai mother is absent.

Why don't you separate the two issues?

Divorce is one.

Custody is another.

Get the divorce first.

Then get full custody after the divorce is finalized.

The divorce paper will build up your case when you tried to get full custody in that the boy lives with you. The court will decide in your favor when the mother (ex-wife) doesn't come to court for custody hearings.

At the divorce hearing, if neither of you contest the custody matter, then both of you have joint custody. Lastly, the court decides custody matters based on what is in the best interest of the child.

What other papers can I provide that shows I take care of a thai child before the divorce is final.

A legal letter from the mother stating that she has abandon the child.

A legal letter from the court stating that she is incompetent.

A police record showing that she is currently serving time in jail.

Edited by tripplejjj

Different offices seem to have different requirement about this extension.

They will want you to have custody over the child, which you can proof with getting a khor ror 14 form from the amphur. They will also want to be convinced that the child is living with you. For that purpose they might interview the child. You could bring along a neighbour to make a statement that the child is living with you or a letter from the school.

In addition you can bring along bills you paid for the chil, like for school, clothing the doctor.

The first thing is that you need to be recognized by the district office as the father of the child. If the child is too young to communicate, you must go through Thai Family Court to obtain this distinction.

Once the court has given its ruling, you take this court order to the district office to obtain your extension.

Other documents required to apply for this type a visa in support of a Thai child:

1. Certification Letter issued by the District Office (as described above)

2. Applicant’s passport

3. Child’s birth certificate and house registration

4. Confirmation of the Applicant’s monthly salary (demonstrating at least 40,000 Baht per month) (proven by PND 1 and PND 91) OR Bank’s confirmation of the applicant’s bank account showing the balance of at least 400,000 Baht in the applicant’s Thai bank account.

Our expert Legal Advisors can provide you a more detailed information about visa requirements, work permit and company legal issues.

sunbelt.jpg

www.sunbeltlegaladvisors.com

26th Floor Fortune Town BR, 1 Ratchadapisek Rd, 10400 Bangkok

Tel: 02-642-0213 Fax: 02-641-1995

Follow us on:

facebook.png twitter.png