Spanish Id Card To The Uk?

Hi all, I know it's not quite Thai related but as I have had many questions answered here before by you good folks, i'm hoping someone will know the answer to the problem and settle a bet.

Can a Spanish person use a Spanish ID to get into the UK without a passport?

I don't think they can but a mate swears blind they can.

Thanks

Jimmy

Link

Do I need to show my passport or national identity card when I enter the UK?

Yes. When you arrive at major UK ports and airports you should use the separate channel market 'EEA/EU' where it is available. Immigration Officers will check your passport or national identity card to make sure that it is valid and that it belongs to you.

From the UKBA website, which would suggest yes you can, even though the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement.

Indeed, passport or national identity card.

Confirmation here

When you enter the UK, you will need to show your passport or national identity card. You should use the separate channel marked 'EEA/EU' where it is available. Immigration officers will check your passport or national identity card to make sure that it is valid and belongs to you.

(My emphasis)

BTW, this is a treaty right which guarantees free movement within the EEA for all EEA citizens; nothing to do with the Schengen agreement.

nothing to do with the Schengen agreement.

I wish you would stop putting a sleight on my posts, the reason I mentioned the Schengen agreement was for the very reason some people get confused regarding the said agreement and so emphasized it had nothing to do with it.

nothing to do with the Schengen agreement.

I wish you would stop putting a sleight on my posts, the reason I mentioned the Schengen agreement was for the very reason some people get confused regarding the said agreement and so emphasized it had nothing to do with it.

I have no idea what you are wittering on about when you say I am putting a sleight on your posts. Sad as it may seem, I've just gone through five pages of your posting history and not found another of your posts that I have even responded to!

I will say, though, that your phrase "even though the UK is not part of the Schengen agreement" could indicate to the less well informed that this matter may be in some way related to that agreement; hence my qualification.

If you wish to discuss this further, to avoid others suffering terminal boredom please do so by PM.

The OP has his answer, so topic closed.