Original Wiring In The Loft

4.real

I had to check my doorbell [it does not always ring] and in my loft the wiring is 2 pin.I have a set of external cable 300v table 2pvc vaf2x4....this comes from my main board in the kitchen.

the cable runs for 5 mtrs in the loft to a join with 2 thicker cables [red and white]..bangkok cable 750 vpvc thw-c 6sq mm tis11-2531 table 4 -b....app 7 meters of this and then it divides at the end into various wire connections [pvc tape ,bound] for plug sockets and lighting plus bell .

Why is there this difference in size of cables?

Is it because the electricians had 'some spare cable'?

Or is there some motive for the upgrading of cable size in the middle of the length?

I have placed my own earth rod and cable for my microwave,cooker ,computer and electric showers.

I cannot easily replace the existing 2 pin wiring.

Thanks ,in advance ,for any replies.4.Real.

ps the doorbell is an enigma.I have replaced with new both button and bell..i have to press 4-5 times before it will ring.I have also rewound the wire joints.It is a cino bell and has a transformer.

It certainly sounds like a "it's what we had" job. :)

There is rarely a reason to insert fatter cable in the middle of a run unless it's in a hostile environment for that section, or it's a very long run.

What size breaker is protecting it and what is actually on that line, outlets only, outlets and lights, bloody all sorts?

As to the doorbell, assuming you've changed the push, does it ring correctly if you try a shorter wire push to bell? It could just be too much thin (cheap) wire.

Thanks for the reply Crossy.

The leads come from an eclb box in the kitchen and go up through the loft .the first part is app 3 meters long then 7 meters of the heavy cables and then split into main room and one of the bedroom lights lplus 3 double ,2 pin sockets and the outside lights and doorbell.

The other bedroom and 2 bathrooms also have this dual lead connection.The whole of the house [built app 12 years ago] is 2 pin wiring.I have put in my own earth for the showers and kitchen appliances.

I live in Pattaya and am out on the east side.I noticed some years back that the power would fluctuate about 10 pm [thai bedtime].I wondered if the leads would help control any power surges that may come from being near the end of the line for power.I cannot get a good internet connection here.

I have not noticed these power surges for some time now.

It certainly sounds like a "it's what we had" job. :(

There is rarely a reason to insert fatter cable in the middle of a run unless it's in a hostile environment for that section, or it's a very long run.

What size breaker is protecting it and what is actually on that line, outlets only, outlets and lights, bloody all sorts?

As to the doorbell, assuming you've changed the push, does it ring correctly if you try a shorter wire push to bell? It could just be too much thin (cheap) wire.

Edited by 4.real

As for doorbell,Crossy .That is app 20 meters away from the join in the heavy cable.It has only been messing about this year.I have replaced both bell and button [new] and there is a transformer in the bell.I have to keep my finger on the bell [or keep pressing for a few times] to get the bell to ring.Once it has started to ring it will ring first time until left unused for some hours.

Thanks for the reply Crossy.

The leads come from an eclb box in the kitchen and go up through the loft .the first part is app 3 meters long then 7 meters of the heavy cables and then split into main room and one of the bedroom lights lplus 3 double ,2 pin sockets and the outside lights and doorbell.

The other bedroom and 2 bathrooms also have this dual lead connection.The whole of the house [built app 12 years ago] is 2 pin wiring.I have put in my own earth for the showers and kitchen appliances.

I live in Pattaya and am out on the east side.I noticed some years back that the power would fluctuate about 10 pm [thai bedtime].I wondered if the leads would help control any power surges that may come from being near the end of the line for power.I cannot get a good internet connection here.

I have not noticed these power surges for some time now.

It certainly sounds like a "it's what we had" job. :(

Do you have any means of checking your supply voltage? If not get a cheap meter from Tesco or the like, a few hundred Baht will get you something usable.

From the way the bell is behaving I suspect you've now got a permanently low supply voltage, but before going on with a diagnosis we need to be sure.

Check your supply voltage at your incoming breaker at several times of the day, while you're at it check at the bell transformer.

Thanks for the help Crossy.

I have a friend who has a meter reader and will wait till he comes here.

I do not think there is a voltage problem as my computer has a 'NUBOS' machine that keeps the supply going in case of a power cut.If the voltage fluctuates it will click regularly and there has been none for some months now.

I guess its a case of 'T.I.T.'

Do you have any means of checking your supply voltage? If not get a cheap meter from Tesco or the like, a few hundred Baht will get you something usable.

From the way the bell is behaving I suspect you've now got a permanently low supply voltage, but before going on with a diagnosis we need to be sure.

Check your supply voltage at your incoming breaker at several times of the day, while you're at it check at the bell transformer.

Homepro do wireless doorbells for about 500 baht

I had one of those. Works great - until the bat runs out which is not long even with the green ones. Aagh.

Anyway... maybe the OP should check the ringer. (?) Like maybe it's full of bugs.