Alternative Transport To Samui.

A member Geordiefarang asked:

I would be grateful for advice on the most cost effective way, not necessarily the cheapest, of travelling from Bangkok to Samui with instructions on each step of the way if possible.

I drive to Surat, to catch the plane, so I'm not much help re connections.I'm sure we have our resident travellers who can help with different travel alternatives.

Night train from BKK to Chumphon, breakfast at Fame Tour just around the corner from the station then ferry to Samui via Koh Tao and KPG. Alternatively you can carry on to Surat Thani and get the ferry direct to Samui. Also the overnight bus and ferry from BKK via Chumphon with either Lomprayah or Seatran. You can also fly to Surat Thani then get the bus / ferry.

I prefer to fly as its much quicker. With Air Asia flights (including tax) are often less than 1000 Baht.

This link has some good info on this and for train and boat connections. The bus section here is best avoided though.

http://www.samuiphanganinfo.com/samui-transports.html

I've never taken the bus but the overnight bus from the Southern Bus Terminal seems to be the best way to go.

I'm sure someone else will give better info on this.

When I go for a few days to Koh Phangan:

To arrive: Bangkok Airways first morning flight then Seatran (or even Haad Rin Queen)

To leave: VIP bus either from Phangan or Samui to Bangkok is cheaper and more convenient for me...

My Bangkok house being at mere 10 minutes from the South Terminal :)

I used Lomprayah quite often as well... but now, the waits are too long in Koh Tao and Chumpon.

When I go for a few days to Koh Phangan:

To arrive: Bangkok Airways first morning flight then Seatran (or even Haad Rin Queen)

To leave: VIP bus either from Phangan or Samui to Bangkok is cheaper and more convenient for me...

My Bangkok house being at mere 10 minutes from the South Terminal :)

I used Lomprayah quite often as well... but now, the waits are too long in Koh Tao and Chumpon.

How long does it take on a bus from phangan to BKK? cheers