Where Is The Best Meal Deal In Town?

SamSipEt

after today i can vouch for the thursday special at gecko garden - spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread for 95B. big plateful of well cooked, tasty food and a nice, fresh orange juice to wash it down. good service too. i will definitely be back soon. noi´s cuisine was mentioned earlier in this thread so i gave that a whirl too. food was nicely presented and tasted great though the spaghetti looked a little lost on the plate compared to in gecko and i left still feeling a bit hungry despite having also devoured the mixed salad

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

after today i can vouch for the thursday special at gecko garden - spaghetti with meatballs and garlic bread for 95B. big plateful of well cooked, tasty food and a nice, fresh orange juice to wash it down. good service too. i will definitely be back soon. noi´s cuisine was mentioned earlier in this thread so i gave that a whirl too. food was nicely presented and tasted great though the spaghetti looked a little lost on the plate compared to in gecko and i left still feeling a bit hungry despite having also devoured the mixed salad

I agree with all that you say, but I'd like to add that the Gecko portions are HUGE, and great value good food, but Noi's Cuisine is great value too. The portions are smaller, but for most people more than adequate to leave you feeling like you've had a good meal without being overly stuffed - and the food is EXCELLENT quality for the price. At Noi's the starters and extras are so cheap that if you are feeling hungry you can just order more and get to enjoy more dishes! My opinion anyway...

There are a number of nice places to eat which sell good farrang food. The Old Bell, The Gekko is good quality and I can recommend the fish and chip dinner on a Friday 99 baht, there are offers everyday there.

If you are looking for high quality food, I can recommend the Sausage King he does some fantastic food, and tastes just like home if not better. Really good sausages, proper bacon not this streaky rubbish.

I can recommend his pies too brilliant. Have a look on his website www.sausageking1.com.

I have only been here in Chiang Mai for over two weeks and am a regular customer, you can order online and they deliver. Or you can call in to his house and speak to the man himself.

The foodmonster

Stopped by Gecko Garden today for the 79 baht Hamburger, Chips and Salad.

I thought hey what can it be for 79 baht, as I had looked at other restaurant prices downtown (from the menu on MOW) and the same meal is double the price. It was big enough for me, really tasty and washed down with a diet coke......all for 99 Baht.......a steal!

The big salad special topped with roast beef tomorrow........well worth a try I assure you.

After hearing a lot of positive things about Noi's both here and from colleagues, I decided to try it out. I have to say I don't know what the fuss is about. The restaurant, although clean and well furnished I found sterile and lacking in any real ambience. I had the lasagne, a baked spinach thing, fries and garlic bread. The lasagne was tiny and tasted of heinz spaghetti hoops, baked spinach was a bit bland and too sweet, the fries were frozen "shoe strings", and the garlic on the bread was undercooked. Certainly nothing to write home about.

I also recently checked out Gecko Garden for the first time too. Cheap booze was the only thing I could see that it had going for it. Had a below average club sandwich, and the food of my company was about on par.

And don't get me started on the "Indian" curry I had the misfortune of forking over a couple of hundred Baht for at the Olde Bell.

On a more positive note, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of a "small" pizza at the Dukes. And Spanky's always makes a pretty fine burger.

I discovered a grilled chicken stall out on canal road near Dok Mai Gardens that does a whole chicken for 120B, and it is tasty stuff! Have seen similar franchises out past Hang Dong. I can't remember the name.

After hearing a lot of positive things about Noi's both here and from colleagues, I decided to try it out. I have to say I don't know what the fuss is about. The restaurant, although clean and well furnished I found sterile and lacking in any real ambience. I had the lasagne, a baked spinach thing, fries and garlic bread. The lasagne was tiny and tasted of heinz spaghetti hoops, baked spinach was a bit bland and too sweet, the fries were frozen "shoe strings", and the garlic on the bread was undercooked. Certainly nothing to write home about.

I also recently checked out Gecko Garden for the first time too. Cheap booze was the only thing I could see that it had going for it. Had a below average club sandwich, and the food of my company was about on par.

And don't get me started on the "Indian" curry I had the misfortune of forking over a couple of hundred Baht for at the Olde Bell.

On a more positive note, I was pleasantly surprised by the size of a "small" pizza at the Dukes. And Spanky's always makes a pretty fine burger.

I discovered a grilled chicken stall out on canal road near Dok Mai Gardens that does a whole chicken for 120B, and it is tasty stuff! Have seen similar franchises out past Hang Dong. I can't remember the name.

I must admit that I usually pop into Gecko early afternoon and go for the specials, so poor old Rudy doesn't make much out of me. Having said that, it still remains that their specials are good, quite big and a real bargain. I sympathize with your curry experience, but there are no good Indian restaurants in Chiang Mai, so I wouldn't expect an English restaurant to do any better. I've always found the portion sizes at Dukes to be generous, but I'm not sure if its the 'best meal deal in town' which is what the OP asks. I've yet to try Spanky's, so reserve judgement. I think you can get whole roasted chickens in supermarket's for less, but I'm not certain, as I've only glanced whilst zooming through....not the sort of place I care to linger in.

I'm sorry that you didn't find the curry you had at The Olde Bell to your taste, Keo. They are very popular with most of our customers Our Yorkshire Curry: a medium spiced coconut based curry inside a giant Yorkshire Pudding is one of our best sellers - and I can assure you that you didn't pay 'over a couple of hundred baht' for it as you allude. Our curries range form 125 baht to 180 baht (with a 10% discount if you have our Gold Members Card) If you would care to PM me, I will leave a voucher behind the bar in full refund of whichever curry you had so that you can try something else. I'll also add on the cost of a pint. Can't say fairer than that!

Edited by OldeBellPedr

Back to the OP's point: At The Olde Bell, we do a range of meals at 125 baht. If you live in Northern Thailand you are entitled to apply for our Gold Members Card which gives you a 10% discount, so thats 115 baht. On Thursdays that is increased to 15% so that's 110 baht. We think these prices represent great meal deals! Why not check us out.

Back to the OP's point: At The Olde Bell, we do a range of meals at 125 baht. If you live in Northern Thailand you are entitled to apply for our Gold Members Card which gives you a 10% discount, so thats 115 baht. On Thursdays that is increased to 15% so that's 110 baht. We think these prices represent great meal deals! Why not check us out.

This does represent very good value indeed, especially as many of your posts seem to infer that you do a great deal of your shopping at Rimping.

Is that 10% off the bill or just off the meal?

• 5 months later...