I'm planning to buy a brand-new pickup at the end of the summer when I move out to Thailand. I don't fancy a second hand one as I know diddley-sqat about car mechanics, and I would expect to get ripped-off.

What I want to know does anyone know current on-the-road prices of the popular brands (4 door, 2WD). Also how long do you have to wait when you order a new one - I'm not willing to wait 4 months for a Vigo!

Thanks - in advance - for any input.

I bought a second hand, one year old Toyota Tiger 3L diesel EFI Hilux, 2 years ago from a place on Sukhumvit, just before Pattaya Klang in Pattaya, and so far no problems at all.

Glad I bought it at 473,000 baht. Full service records with 21,000 K on the clock, and the gamble paid off.

Mike.

I bought a second hand, one year old Toyota Tiger 3L diesel EFI Hilux, 2 years ago from a place on Sukhumvit, just before Pattaya Klang in Pattaya, and so far no problems at all.

Glad I bought it at 473,000 baht. Full service records with 21,000 K on the clock, and the gamble paid off.

Mike.

I was looking at Isuzu 3L, 4-door, twin air-bag pick-ups. They were around 700,000 in April this year. You can save 8,000 if you pay cash for the whole amount. Slightly cheaper in Bangkok and Chonburi than in Udon.

Mike.

I was looking at Isuzu 3L, 4-door, twin air-bag pick-ups. They were around 700,000 in April this year. You can save 8,000 if you pay cash for the whole amount. Slightly cheaper in Bangkok and Chonburi than in Udon.

Sorry, forgot to add that there was 7-10 day waiting period in all the showrooms I visited. Isuzu 2WD pick-up's were a bit cheaper but not that much. I drove an Isuzu 2WD pick-up around for 5 weeks this year, doing quite a few thousand kilometres. Best get the 4WD if you can afford the little extra. Better for overtaking, especially on hills. There's always the Toyota Hilux which is nice. Slightly more expensive than Isuzu but only has an air-bag for the driver. Could be dodgy for the missus/girlfriend.

I bought a new 4 door 4wd pick up in Feb. I did a fair bit of looking around and the prices do vary by about 30000 baht between the different makers. I was going to settle on a isuzu hi-lander and that was going to cost 789000 baht plus on roads. With the extras that I wanted it would have probably cost around 850 k.

Through a friend in Ubon I looked at the Chev Colorado which is exactly the same as the isuzu but with a chev badge and this came in at 809000 baht. The big thing was that I was given the 12 months rego and insurance, 6 stack cd player, window tinting, rear tray liner, bonnet stone deflector and side steps at no extra cost. If I had wanted the same from Isuzu the cost would have blown out.

Maybe this was a promotion they were having then but I would certainly recommend checking out the chev dealer close to you. There was no waiting period. I ordered the car on thursday afternoon and they had it ready for delivery by lunchtime on friday.

The after sales service is great as well.

I'm planning to buy a brand-new pickup at the end of the summer when I move out to Thailand. I don't fancy a second hand one as I know diddley-sqat about car mechanics, and I would expect to get ripped-off.

What I want to know does anyone know current on-the-road prices of the popular brands (4 door, 2WD). Also how long do you have to wait when you order a new one - I'm not willing to wait 4 months for a Vigo!

Thanks - in advance - for any input

You ain't a copper in the blue toon are you?

Why a pick-up? Why not a normal car?

There are a lot of 2003/4 used pick-ups around, good value over new one, and warranties are transferable so you get a car with 2 years of manufacturers warranty.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to look over a truck on a ladder chassis for any dodgyness, worth it in the long run.

hi...i picked up a 4door 4wd izuzu LS...3lt turbo diesel....18 m0nths old/22k on the clock...all the micky mouse add-ons + a 30k jvc stereo and dvd/tv system.........all for 670,000bt. it had 12 months road tax...but i had to shell out another 20k for a 1st class insurance. a saving of around 200k on new....came with log books and full service details.........ive been very happy :o

Mike.

It seems strange that they would offer you a discount for cash..

One, because they would prefer you finance, and not pay cash, since they make considerably more in profit from the financing..

Two, Isuzu is the number 1 seller in Thailand, and I've never heard of anyone truthfully getting any kind of price discount. Isuzu simply doesn't need to discount their new trucks.

My guess is that it's the 'goodies' that are being negotiated. More, or less, depending on what they're willing to give you, and what you know to ask for... And If you found a slight difference between Bkk and Udon, I'd guess that might be the difference in 'transportation fees', which are normally given for free in the deal, anyway.

1/ In general, pickups are less expensive than normal cars.

2/ They are much larger than the equivalent cars so they are actually safer should you get into a collision. And some just prefer the feeling of being in a big tough monster.

3/ Also, the pickup is good for work as well as for chores/building around the house.

4/ And finally when all the family wants to go anywhere together, the pickup has lots of room for piling in the back. With a car you get 5 people max; with a pickup it can easily be 12.

Edited by paulfr

I've bought three Isuzu D-Max 2WD pick-ups for my wife's family. About Bt500K new. The first one about 3-4 yrs ago and never had a problem with them. Thais don't seem to like secondhand but the depreciation doesn't seem to be that great anyway. Never had to wait long for the vehicles but vehicle registration can take some time and you have to drive around without No. plates for a bit - and there's all sorts of rules of regulations about when/where you can drive (not that anyone sticks to them).

They're very flexible, being used as taxis, farm vehicles, market traders truck, general family runabout, etc. etc.

Top of the range Isuzu pick-ups can go up to over a million baht for 4-dr, 4WD with leather seats and all bells and whistles.

Edited by pnustedt

The original poster asked about a new pickup truck in around August. That's a tricky one.

Vigo is truly a new pickup truck, Isuzu had an engine upgrade only, Mitsubishi should be taking orders in August for new trucks, and Nissan should be offering a new engine.

Last year new regulations governing pickup truck came out and not all manufacturers adjusted. Toyota and Mitsu seem to take the full advantage of the new rules already. Nissan and Ford will introduce new trucks next year. Isuzu is banking on its successfull D-max trucks without any major changes.

If the OP doesn't want to wait, than good deals on older trucks should be available. Anything new should come with the waiting period.

Thanks - in advance - for any input

You ain't a copper in the blue toon are you?

No, Im not a copper.

I want a pick-up cos I think you get a wee bit more for your money.