Windows And Doors

meyori

I am going thru' the same process at the moment, doors and windows can be made to order.

My preference is uPVC, they look better and one company I contacted give a 10 year warranty with yearly visits for 10 years if you request them to visit, but a lot more expensive than aluminium, so guess it depends on your budget.

This being Thailand I have rarely seen two houses with windows and external doors the same size, internal doors may differ.

You may wish to compare prices for upvc and aluminium doors, upvc are quite expensive.

Probably better off going for wooden doors and aluminium windows.

The shop bought internal wooden doors are a standard size, trim to suit.

Your front door will probably be made to measure.

If you can afford the upvc go for that.

If you opt for aluminium, check the grade being supplied.

Most of the builds here in LOS is mainly made to order. They fit to what you have planned. The few companies that I have seen offering pre-made products seemed to be more expensive & why conform to their plans when you can have it your way anyway.

If there was some benefit(lower cost) I might think of adjusting to there plans. Thailand everyone has a different idea & they do not reward a standard size (that I am aware of)

I have just completed the build of a new home and installed all the windows and replaced many of the interior doors myself. The builder had tried to use PVC doors which do not last. There are standard sizes for both windows and doors but the builders need to be watched constantly as they are wont to do things their own way. Doors most commonly are 2000 x 800 mm and can be easily trimed to your required fit. The windows I choose were aluminium but I had them powder coated which should last for years. The company who made and fitted them were professional and without prompting from me replaced any that did not come up to scratch.

I would suggest that you be careful in the choice of wood as there are many cheap options which I have found crack with the constant heat and cooling prcess from air-con hence the replacing of some of the interion doors.

Most are made to measure. The alloy sliding ones which l have are useless if theres a bit of wind behind the rain, wet floors, in fact daft design for this country. l have fitted all sorts of stuff to stop it but not 100%. Good thing about them is the sliding Mozzy screen, so you can have the windows open and no Mozzy's. The uPVC l have seen are openers and better for staving off water but no provision (that l have seen) for Mozzy screen which really is important, so look around.

Think most have a 1000 ltr tank backed up with a pump, handy if there is a mains pressure problem, which for me is regular. Your property will have a meter for billing, mine is around 500bht a month and we use a lot for the garden. Your pool, as not important for continuous top up and can be plumbed in the incoming supply before the tank so you always have water in the house.

I'm running into this problem currently. High winds and rain will leave water coming into the bottoms of the sliding doors which leaves a nice puddle, which has begun to unbind the glue between the teak floor pieces. So I'm re-doing the entire floor, and before I do that, I need to solve this sliding door problem. transam, have you actually changed your doors, yet? Or are you still finding mini-solutions (that, agreed, don't really work 100%)? Anybody here fitted uPVC sliding doors with satisfaction?

edit: just re-read the thread. Irishrogue, what is it about the PVC doors that you mention makes them ''not last?''

Edited by jcon

• 2 weeks later...

We built a new house last year and decided to use UPVC window frames with double glazed windows. After some research we ordered from PSD which is run by an English guy, so we had no communication problems regarding what we wanted. They offered a variety of types and thicknesses of glass, gap widths and so on. They could do any layout we wanted. Once the builder had completed the window openings PSD came and measured them all. They were back four weeks later to install the custom made windows. So far we have been very happy with the result. The attached pictures show some of the windows and one door. Elsewhere, not shown, is a double french window 2m x 2m.

post-34165-007743100 1276953072_thumb.jp

post-34165-051548100 1276953093_thumb.jp

• 1 month later...

I am also looking for a decent supplier in Surin Area we are near to Sangkha.

Considering White Powder Coated Aluminium, but has to be good quality, so far I have only seen riveted rubbish around and also it seems that Double-Glazing is pretty much unheard of.

If anyone knows of a decent Company to Supply/Fit good quality Aluminium Double Glazed Units I have a reasonable sized project to complete.

I have also asked for quotes on uPVC from two Pattaya Companies as it seems that they are the only ones recommended here and at least they understand Double Glazing too.

Thanks, MH

• 9 months later...