World Cup Coverage...

KnooKie

I've read a lot of posts and they seem to contradict somewhat so...

TrueSport are showing all the games (and have the rights) but are they showing only in High Definition or also on their normal channels??

I know they have sublet the games to Thai TV also.

Is there really no English commentary? If so is there a way around it?

Any pointers would be great.

Its panic attack time. :D Everyone is trying to pull English commentary out of their arse. :D If it can be had its illegal. The WC 2010 is being broadcast on Thai channels on a rotation bases. 3,5,7,11 :D

I guess now would be a good time for people to learn Thai. Necessity being the mother of invention.

:)

TrueSport are showing all the games (and have the rights) but are they showing only in High Definition or also on their normal channels??

Only one HD channel will have the games as i understand. If you haven't signed up for HD you won't receive any games - not via TrueSport anyway.

I know they have sublet the games to Thai TV also.

I don't think True Visions are the ones with the rights to sublet. The name of the company with the rights has been mentioned in the news but i can't recall it.

Is there really no English commentary? If so is there a way around it?

World Cups here in 2002 and 2006, and Euro Cups in 2004 and 2008, have all been the same and before every competition people are always scrambling around trying to make arrangements but in my experience of those previous years, it always results in a blank. I've personally got so used to the lack of English thing that as much as i still hate it, i don't bother getting worked up about it because i know there's nothing that can be done.

By the way, this is the latest of about the 4 or 5 other threads on exactly the same subject. Is it necessary to start new threads? Just wondering...

I'm wondering why all these poster are repeating he same queries as well!

Its quite clear....True Sports will cover all the games on channel 111...which is their HD channel....so get signed up for HD or watch the games on the domestic Thai channels.

None of the above will give you an English commentary.

By the way, this is the latest of about the 4 or 5 other threads on exactly the same subject. Is it necessary to start new threads? Just wondering...

Its quite clear....True Sports will cover all the games on channel 111...which is their HD channel....so get signed up for HD or watch the games on the domestic Thai channels.

Well nutshelled that man.

Hi All

The cheapest way to get world cup with English comentry is.

If you have internet conection Google, Talksport uk,press listen live,they have the rights for all 64 games.The BBC lost the rights (thank the Lord).As Talksport are a commercial radio channel, you will have adverts, but the commentary team are very good, and are all very bias towards England

Wattch thai channel 5 and 7 With the sound down. All the buildup, the game live and post match phone in’s ect

Hope this helps.

Have a good world cup month

Hi All

If you have internet conection Google, Talksport uk,press listen live,they have the rights for all 64 games.The BBC lost the rights (thank the Lord).As Talksport are a commercial radio channel, you will have adverts, but the commentary team are very good, and are all very bias towards England

Wattch thai channel 5 and 7 With the sound down. All the buildup, the game live and post match phone in's ect

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info... but the problem is it won't be in sync with the pictures.

Thanks for the talksport advice. They have an iPhone app, for live broadcast. Means if you have an iPhone, watch the Thai TV channels (no sound) with the live broadcast on the iPhone in English (get some headphones for an even better experience). I will report once the WC has begun.

In reading all the threads it seems like Thai OTA channels 3, 7, 9 & 11 will show all the games, with Thai language commentary only.

TRUEvisions will also show the games in HD on channel 111 (via a special paid subscription), with Thai language commentary only. (For simultaneous games, only a few, I am not sure which games they will show live?) I am curious to see how good this HD service will be.

In 2006 some establishments and individuals were able to get satellite service from Malaysia and/or South Africa which included all the games and English language commentary. Where I was watching, these broadcasts suffered from outages due to rain and were ~ 2 seconds delayed from the Thai broadcast, so we'd hear a loud cheer then see a goal 2 sec. later.

A lot of pubs in Bangkok are promoting their WC 2010 offerings but I have not stayed up to speed on who is offering what.

Edited by lomatopo

On my TV (Samsung) the remote has a language button which appears to switch the sound track into the original language, i.e. CSI New York into English other US programs on Thai TV into English, Chinese Movies into Chinese etc. For football, English games, FA Cup etc that have been broadcast on CH 7 I get the original English commentary, on CH 3 it's hit and miss some games okay, sometimes it switches off the voices, leaving background sound.

I am assuming that the broadcast feed that Thai TV will get will have probably the South African commentary, which they dub over with Thai, so maybe fingers crossed my language button will give me the South African commentary. Anyway I don't have True, nor does anyone else around here so if all else fails I can understand enough Thai to get by.

the way to go is to get a malaysian satellite box, then you can get good old espn, star sports etc,along with shebby and the rest of them,all talking english..ps you can also get the fa cup and charity shield.several bars in samui have the system.. can't really give out phone numbers on here. enquire in a famous farang bar in hat yai.

I am assuming that the broadcast feed that Thai TV will get will have probably the South African commentary,

You assume wrong. They didn't pay the extra required for English commentary, so there will be done. Just as there was none in 2002 and 2006.

Those of us in Pattaya who have Sophon Cable still have Multichoice Supersport 3 - which I believe is showing all the World Cup games in English. How SS3 is still there I have no idea - whether SS3 will still be there tomorrow or next week who knows - heres hoping...

QUOTE (shuffler @ 2010-06-03 19:14:18) QUOTE (rixalex @ 2010-06-03 11:47:20) QUOTE (gennisis @ 2010-06-03 11:01:13) QUOTE (rixalex @ 2010-06-03 10:02:19) By the way, this is the latest of about the 4 or 5 other threads on exactly the same subject. Is it necessary to start new threads? Just wondering...

Hi All

Wattch thai channel 5 and 7 With the sound down. All the buildup, the game live and post match phone in's ect

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the info... but the problem is it won't be in sync with the pictures.

cmon,now you are just being silly!

QUOTE (rixalex @ 2010-06-03 10:02:19) By the way, this is the latest of about the 4 or 5 other threads on exactly the same subject. Is it necessary to start new threads? Just wondering...

It's difficult to find info on true visions HD in English, but the info that I have read is that the promotion gives one month free to cover the world cup and then costs 190 TBH per month thereafter. Can anyone confirm this???

Cheers, Rick

Hi All

Hope this helps.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For the last world cup in 2006 I watched the games on Thai TV with the sound turned down then connected over the internet with a friend in the UK via skype and had him put his PC microphone near his TV so I could hear the UK commentary through my laptop. We found that if he had his TV on a terrestrial channel there was a picture/sound sync problem, however if he watched the game in the UK via his Sky box the 'built in digital delay' that you get with all satelite digital channels meant the picture/sound sync problems virtually disappeared and, although not always 100%, it was certainly accurate enough not to spoil my viewing.

Hi All

Hope this helps.

<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

For the last world cup in 2006 I watched the games on Thai TV with the sound turned down then connected over the internet with a friend in the UK via skype and had him put his PC microphone near his TV so I could hear the UK commentary through my laptop. We found that if he had his TV on a terrestrial channel there was a picture/sound sync problem, however if he watched the game in the UK via his Sky box the 'built in digital delay' that you get with all satelite digital channels meant the picture/sound sync problems virtually disappeared and, although not always 100%, it was certainly accurate enough not to spoil my viewing.

Im kind of biased against english biased commentary anyway so will be happy with Thai. Excellent that it will be all on free tv in thailand. thats magic!

For a complete list of which games on which channels: http://www.phtnews.c...id=29:headlines

:)

THANKYOU! Thats EXCELLENT! Anyone also advise if/where the Grand Opening ceremony is on TV?

Now what we need is absolutely no transmission-crashing thunderstorms for a month in June/July in thailand.

...but then what are all those yellow candles really burning for anyway?