Dealing With Crappy Air Con

tajartale

The air cons in my apartment are massively over-sized in the typical one-size-fits-all Thai fashion. I'm currently in the process of looking for a new apartment over this, but in the meantime is there anything I can do to avoid the ill health with these things?

The typical problem is either the temperature setting is too high to get any dehumidifying (it cools down before it dries out) or, when it does run continuously, it dries the room out to the extent that you're dying of sinus related infections (never mind the expense).

Looking at nicer places than I live currently isn't cheering me up much, as all the places I've seen so far have newer, more expensive, but still incredibly oversized units.

I guess a lot of people must be living with the same thing. I take it Thais only run their AC a few hours and then miraculously fall asleep? I don't know, I've given up guessing. I would like it to run at a temperature not too far below the outside, so not as low as the frigid malls, for example, and not so drying as to have crusty eyes in the morning. Any help greatly appreciated.

Most newer system have an Auto mode which actually goes though a cooling and dehumidifying cycle. And of course they have the standard Cool mode which focuses on cooling only...it cools things down faster where the Auto function takes more of a balance between cooling and dehumidifying. And many systems also have a Dry function which focus on dehumidying. My York split air systems have the Auto, Cool, and Dry modes. Check the remote for the different modes available.

Edited by Pib

An electric steam scent diffuser on the bedside table will help to counter dryness. You can operate it with just water and no scented oil.

Did see some on sale at either Tesco Lotus Rama 4 or across the road at Carrefour.

AirCon needs maintenance at least every 12 Months pressure wash of indoor and outdoor units, and gas pressure check. If this is not performed you will have these problems.

Most newer system have an Auto mode which actually goes though a cooling and dehumidifying cycle. And of course they have the standard Cool mode which focuses on cooling only...it cools things down faster where the Auto function takes more of a balance between cooling and dehumidifying. And many systems also have a Dry function which focus on dehumidying. My York split air systems have the Auto, Cool, and Dry modes. Check the remote for the different modes available.

there is no such thing like "cooling only without dehumidifying". the same goes for "balance between cooling and dehumidifying". the only possible function is enhanced dehumidifying above normal values which come with cooling.

:)

AirCon needs maintenance at least every 12 Months pressure wash of indoor and outdoor units, and gas pressure check. If this is not performed you will have these problems.

please elaborate on this pressure wash, do they remove the internal unit and do it outside ??

They remove the case and removable parts but do the coils on the wall using a rubber sheet to route water into a large container (paint can). And as said should be done once or twice a year for heavenly used units. You will be surprised at the amount of dirt that gets through the air filters that you clean much more often.

As the units do have a tendency to leak (drain gets clogged) it would always be advisable to keep electric/electronic items away. But normally all that would be required is plastic sheets covering your items. The drain sheet is clipped in place and routes the water to bucket. There should not be much spill over but some splash to ceiling/wall may have to be removed with a cloth.

there is no such thing like "cooling only without dehumidifying". the same goes for "balance between cooling and dehumidifying". the only possible function is enhanced dehumidifying above normal values which come with cooling.

Quite right Naam,dont these people know that when hot or warm air meets a cold surface,moisture condenses,this should drain away and therefore leaves less moisture in the recirculating air....1st year Physics!!

The air cons in my apartment are massively over-sized in the typical one-size-fits-all Thai fashion. I'm currently in the process of looking for a new apartment over this, but in the meantime is there anything I can do to avoid the ill health with these things?

The typical problem is either the temperature setting is too high to get any dehumidifying (it cools down before it dries out) or, when it does run continuously, it dries the room out to the extent that you're dying of sinus related infections (never mind the expense).

In the meantime & based on the premise that the units are oversized, the only thing you could do is introduce more heat load. This can be done by opening a window, a door or using an fan to either inject external air into the apartment or remove air from the apartment. It will be difficult to control but you won't suffer the extremes you have reported.

Also, make sure that the vents are pointed to direct the cold air (from the evaporator) parallel to the ceiling & not pointed down.

A 'sealed' domestic a/c unit without any apparent problems, needs no maintenance besides an annual inspection & perhaps to test the current being drawn by the compressor. The results of the inspection could indicate (for example) that the condensor needs to be cleaned &/or the compressor is drawing too much current.

Dirty filters are more affective than clean filters but dirty filters restrict air flow more than clean filters.

Edited by elkangorito

Quite right Naam,dont these people know that when hot or warm air meets a cold surface,moisture condenses,this should drain away and therefore leaves less moisture in the recirculating air....1st year Physics!!

Reminds me of a story back in the 70s when I used to work as a TV repairman making house calls. The lady said her TV stopped working, no pic - no sound. I, as always, started playing Sherlock Holmes to try and identify any reasoning of why the TV just stopped working. I asked her all the usual questions, was she watching it when it went off, was there any recent lightning storms, anyone hit or bump the TV, had it been moved recently (70s - back in the days of vacuum tubes)... Her reply was no to everything and she just turned it on and nothing worked.

Well taking off the back cover and looking into the chassis I noticed a big huge pile of dirt covering most of the circuitry. (Later to be determined as being potting soil.) I questioned her about this and her reply was, 'Oh yeah, I was watering the plants sitting on top and I accidentally over-watered some and I guess the dirt and water spilled into the TV. But would that make it stop working?' Duhhhhhhhh

• 2 weeks later...

You are right, I shouldn't have included the word "only" in the "Cool Mode focusing on cooling only." Quick typing before moving on to another post. What I meant was the cooling effect seems/is greater in the Cool Mode. The Cool Mode does of course lower humidity/remove moisture; however, the Dry mode removes more moisture (according to the manual and even according to my temperature and humidity meter). Between the Auto, Cool, and Dry modes on my A/Cs, the Cool mode operation feels the best although Auto and Dry modes cool also. The Auto mode cycles through modes of Cool, Dry, and Fan Only which just don't feel as comfortable to our bodies. Yes, Virginia, (and 1st year physics students), the different A/C modes result in different levels of moisture being removed, different cooling effects, different end results, etc. I guess that is why they have different modes on the A/C's. Cheers.

Best advice I can provide is to get it serviced.....you can play around with the settings for hours....but if the unit has not been serviced for a long period of time then you will not get the "true" operating modes.

Had similar problems as you with our a/c in our apartment....got it serviced 600 baht....2 guys on site 3 hours...stripped the unit right down to its nuts and bolts...cleaned filters....regassed it etc etc....also provided a demo to me on the remote controls.....works like a treat now....quieter....more effective/efficient.

The two thai serviceman were efficient and professional... I was given an invoice/receipt.....and told if there were any problems after the service then I was to call them immediately....called them day one they were here at 10am the next day for the service....laid out blankets on the floor to catch any dirt grime.....they swept the floor and hosed down the balcony when they had finished...contact numbers are 089-7187451 0891349111 or 027354693....sorry dont have a name/s.

<!--quoteo--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->The air cons in my apartment are massively over-sized in the typical one-size-fits-all Thai fashion. I'm currently in the process of looking for a new apartment over this, but <b>in the meantime is there anything I can do to avoid the ill health with these things?</b>

The typical problem is either the temperature setting is too high to get any dehumidifying (it cools down before it dries out) or, when it does run continuously, it dries the room out to the extent that you're dying of sinus related infections (never mind the expense).<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

In the meantime & based on the premise that the units are oversized, the only thing you could do is introduce more heat load. This can be done by opening a window, a door or using an fan to either inject external air into the apartment or remove air from the apartment. It will be difficult to control but you won't suffer the extremes you have reported.

Also, make sure that the vents are pointed to direct the cold air (from the evaporator) parallel to the ceiling & not pointed down.

<!--quoteo(post=3666730:date=2010-06-04 22:21:00:name=Pushit)--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Pushit @ 2010-06-04 22:21:00) <a href="index.php?act=findpost&pid=3666730"><{POST_SNAPBACK}></a></div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->AirCon needs maintenance at least every 12 Months pressure wash of indoor and outdoor units, and gas pressure check. If this is not performed you will have these problems.<!--QuoteEnd--></div><!--QuoteEEnd-->

A 'sealed' domestic a/c unit without any apparent problems, needs no maintenance besides an annual inspection & perhaps to test the current being drawn by the compressor. The results of the inspection could indicate (for example) that the condensor needs to be cleaned &/or the compressor is drawing too much current.

Dirty filters are more affective than clean filters but dirty filters restrict air flow more than clean filters.

What does the direction of the vents accomplish? I think I tried opening a door...this helps keep things from drying out so long as the unit is running, but if the temp drops sufficiently during the night, it leads to excess humidity at that point. I should probably run at a lower temp?

Thanks for the advice from others too, but folks pointing to all the features on modern air cons...I probably didn't emphasize sufficiently the 'crappy' in the title. As in, this is a no-name system (albeit, a new one) without features other than on, off, and temp. It also seems to have a fairly wide temp swing. That being said, I had similar problems in an old apartment with a fairly new air con...I'm sensitive to cold and dry air and, most of all, the _change_ in humidity.