Married To Thai Woman: 40k Baht Income/month Question

Hi,

I am reviewing the possibility of switching visas to a Marriage visa.

I own two LLC firms in US.

Both have the capactity to generate a Certifcation Of Income Letter or whatever you want to call it, not sure of the nomenclature.

It can certify and prove I am paid over 40K baht per month, but how should it be worded.

I own an internet firm, and the work is done by US nationals on US soil, and I am just a silent partner and do no work.

Are there still Work Permit issues, I feel I don't need one, but just have to ask.

Also, what other issues might there be, as a 50% partner in a foreign LLC while residing married in Thailand with intent to have "O" visa?

-saanya

I may be wrong but "silent partner" is not considered an employee but rather an investor. Therefor, your income is passive and there should be no need for a WP because you are not employed. Just my opinion.

Edited by tripplejjj

The letter is issued by the US Embassy only. You have to obtain from them. Normally that is all Immigration will require but they could ask for further proof such as bank statements/tax returns or the like.

What you are talking about is a one year extension of stay for marriage (it is not a visa and does not allow travel by itself).

Set-up a second / separate bank account into which you transfer the 65K or 40K each month (depending on extension venue) that will then be able to produce a statement with the required monthly income.

Just seems a strange policy especially if a person is lucky enough to have a big savings/investments, won the big lottery, etc., in their home country and transfer money to Thailand to live on.

There's no rule against that. Just transfer at least the equivalent of 400k Baht and keep it at that level for three months before the application for extension.

--

Maestro

All you have to do is download the affidavit from the US.gov website, go to the embassy and swear under oath that you have X amount of money from outside of the country paid to you every month (over 40K baht per month). pay the fee, and they will stamp your affidavit. Bring the affidavit to immigration. It takes 30 days from that point to get the visa.

I have never known of anyone who has furnished immigration with a signed, certified affidavit from the US embassy required to produce more, such as bank statements but I guess that anything is possible as TIT.

Edited by mizzi39

Precisely. As you are receiving that income, you will be swearing your oath truthfully. If you want to be prepared for the one-in-a-million chance that the immigration officer wants to see a supporting document from the company paying you, you can have the company's accountant or any other employee write you a letter on the company letterhead certifying that the company pays Mr. ..., holder of US passport number ..., a monthly compensation of USD ...

--

Maestro

Precisely. As you are receiving that income, you will be swearing your oath truthfully. If you want to be prepared for the one-in-a-million chance that the immigration officer wants to see a supporting document from the company paying you, you can have the company's accountant or any other employee write you a letter on the company letterhead certifying that the company pays Mr. ..., holder of US passport number ..., a monthly compensation of USD ...

--

Maestro

As usual, Thanks Maestro, Lopburi and Mario2008, et al,

OK, so I guess since I have had this firm for 5 years and been on the same status as a 50% Partner, even if I was "called on it", they'd see everything was legit, and I'd have all the annoying accounting paperwork to furnish. : )

-Is this then done in Bangkok, I can fly down from Udon, etc?

And as far as the composition of the letter from the US Embassy, is that something I do myself or the embassy does for a small fee?

It sounds like they do these all the time so if I don't need to waste time writing I won't.

As far as marriage papers, I guess that's the same, a trip to krungthep, we'd have to get the formal papers as opposed to just the religious 'ceremony', etc., which I'll read up on.

Edited by saanya

You will find download links for US Embassy forms here

You should make appointment using on-line system.

What marriage papers are you talking about? Have you not registered your marriage yet? If not that is another paper/charge at Embassy and that also has to be translated/registered with MFA prior to marriage registration so allow extra day or two.

You will find download links for US Embassy forms here

You should make appointment using on-line system.

What marriage papers are you talking about? Have you not registered your marriage yet? If not that is another paper/charge at Embassy and that also has to be translated/registered with MFA prior to marriage registration so allow extra day or two.

yes, we'd done the religious ceremony, but nothing formal, i'd mostly stayed on another visa extension type (Education) and am now sort of gathering up the information to use this type of extension.

One of the things that's still not clear, but now might be possible to answer, is how often one might have to exit the country, if at all, given what we have discussed so far.

The people I speak to about this are not from the US, and also are a bit confused about the difference, and advantage, of being a company partner vs. working as an employee.

So they invariably classify themselves as working, triggering all sorts of complicated requirements.

As for my marriage requirements, it seems the 40k income is preferable to the larger sum in the bank.

If the exist from country can be limited, that would be nice.

I am extraordinarily close to Vientaine, my wife's home town is it's thai border crossing via Friendship bridge.

If you extend your stay at Immigration you never have to leave the country. For that you use the 40k income or 400k in bank account. You yearly do for another year at Immigration.

If you are not able to provide the financial requirements you can always return to visa entry. Currently KL will provide one year visa if you have 100k in Thai bank account and married so you would have to exit/return every 90 days with that.

It is not necessary to go to Bangkok to get a letter from the US Embassy, or get legally married, unless you just want to go to Bangkok.

The embassy has an outreach program that visits Udon and khon Kaen once in awhile. The next visits are coming up next week.

------

The Consular Section of the American Embassy in Bangkok is pleased to

inform you of a consular outreach visit to Pattaya, Phuket, Udon, and

Khon Kaen in June 2010. Please come if you can!

Consular staff will be available to provide services at the following

dates and locations:

UDON:

Tuesday, June 15, 2010, 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Centara Hotel &

Convention Centre Udon Thani, at 277/1 Prajaksillapakhom Road, Muang,

Udon Thani, 41000, Thailand. Telephone: 04-234-3555.

KHON KAEN:

Wednesday, June 16, 2010, 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM at the Pullman Khon Kaen

Raja Orchid, at 9/9 Prachasumran Road, Nai Muang, Muang, Khon Kaen,

Thailand, 40000, telephone: 043-322-155.

The following consular services will be available during our outreach

visits:

* Passport renewal applications ($75.00 or Baht 2475 for adult

passports, and $85 or Baht 2805 for a child's passport).

* Notarial Services and Certified Copies ($30.00 or Baht 990).

This includes income affidavits for retirees in Thailand.

* Extra visa pages. Note: we can accept applications, but the

passports will have to be brought back to the Embassy for final

processing the next day. The passports will then have to be picked up

in person (or by a friend upon presentation of a letter of authorization

signed by the applicant) at the Embassy.

* Social security, VA, or other federal benefits question will be

limited, but we will try to provide forms and answers.

(Please bring exact change!)

Consular Reports of Birth cannot be processed during consular outreach

trips.

If you have any questions, please email [email protected] or call the

American Citizen Services Unit at 02-205-4049.

------

You can get married in Udon, Nong Khai, or any province easily.

Oops! You might need a letter from the embassy saying you're eligible to get married. Not sure if they'll do that at an outreach visit, but they might. Call American Services and ask if they will do that, and what they'll need from you.

Lots of info available on the forum about this if you do a search.

As Loburi3 told you, no need to leave the country once you get and keep getting yearly extensions. If you do want to leave the country, make sure you get a re-entry permit to keep your extension permission to stay until valid.

Good luck with all this. Once you get it figured out it's actually much easier than a lot of people will try to lead you to believe it is.

You also have to have that letter translated and registered with the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in Bangkok before you can register a marriage. Does not have to be done in person but expect it may be hard to find someone to do upcountry outside of major city.