Brown Rice

james24

Hi guys

Off to the market today, can anyone tell me the name for brown rice...? Now Ive asked for brown rice before and have been given a purple one aswell as a half brown and half white looking one. Does anyone know the name for (real) brown rice. Im asking this for health reasons as Im trying to lose weight and white rice doesnt help.

Cheers :-)

I buy my brown rice at the supermarkets. It's clearly marked as such in English.

I can't say I've ever seen it in the markets.

Apparently brown rice doesn't keep as well as white rice and I suspect that many suppliers vacuum pack it for this reason.

mmm ok Ill have a look in the supermarket, I live in Chiang Mai, I think the market youre referring to is in Bangkok, cheers though

Au contraire

I live in Chiang Rai and our only big supermarket, Big C has it in stock.

I was in Chiang Mai today and on visiting Top, at the Airport Plaza, and the nearby Rimping noted they both had plenty in stock.

Edited by sceadugenga

:)

Brown rice is readily available in Bangkok in the big supermarkets. My Thai G/F (she's 60 now) has had a gall-bladder operation and is on a restricted sugar restricted fat diet. She has started using brown rice for herself. (Her kids still want white rice). I've had it also, and it is acceptable as "rice" as far as taste goes. Having said that a lot of Thais that grew up with white rice will only accept white rice as real "rice".

It's just a traditional thing...it takes time to change to change preconceptions. But brown rice is being portrayed as "more healthy" by doctors and such in Thailand (I'm not sure it is, myself). That's how my G/F heard of it...and why she's using it rather than white rice.

:D

Edited by IMA_FARANG

Makro and Tesco both carry brown jasmine rice as well as germinated rice, purple rice, and pink rice. Some are not whole grain but some are, including the brown jasmine rice, which remains my favorite. Big often has a variety of colored rices.

ah interesting cheers, just bought an organic brown jasmin rice from Rimping which looks cool. Gotta go buy a rice cooker now as Ive read that boiling it kills all the vitamins almost,

Thanks

Hello, did you say brown rice could help you loss weight? I'm interested to know how it benefits us.

Hi guys

Off to the market today, can anyone tell me the name for brown rice...? Now Ive asked for brown rice before and have been given a purple one aswell as a half brown and half white looking one. Does anyone know the name for (real) brown rice. Im asking this for health reasons as Im trying to lose weight and white rice doesnt help.

Cheers :-)

QUOTE (james24 @ 2010-06-05 21:13:31) mmm ok Ill have a look in the supermarket, I live in Chiang Mai, I think the market youre referring to is in Bangkok, cheers though

Au contraire

I live in Chiang Rai and our only big supermarket, Big C has it in stock.

I was in Chiang Mai today and on visiting Top, at the Airport Plaza, and the nearby Rimping noted they both had plenty in stock.

At the Ban Doo market they sell bulk brown rice out of a basket. Look around. I was told by a couple of Thais that brown rice is usually eaten by old people. I love it.

I suppose I eat rice about three times a week, always brown, and usually cook about a cup (uncooked) at a time.

It's hardly worth messing around with bulk rice for that quantity, I find it easier to get a vacuum sealed pack from Big C and know it's clean and fresh.

I was pleased to find imported whole meal pasta at Rimping last week, one brand was only 85B for 500g.

In BKK, both the Tesco and Carrefour supermarks stock whole grain brown jasmine rice in various sizes... I usually buy the 5 KG bag at Tesco for around 180-190 baht, depending on whether it's on sale at the time.

I'm sure basmati rice is available as well. I believe I've seen it in smaller packs in Carrefour. But the brown jasmine rice is stocked in the main rice sections right alongside all the various white rices...

Brown rice is supposed to be healthier for you because 1) the external hull of the rice contains a lot of minerals and vitamin content that is removed in white rice, and 2) brown rice thus is slower to digest and doesn't raise your blood suger levels as quickly as white rice.