Why So Many Brits?

monitorlizard

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Uk still a ###### sight safer in general than USA or even Thailand for that matter.

Murder rate in Australia one of the highest, Thailand has highest road deaths by a long way. There may be a few tea leaves but I'll take that over School kids with guns any boring day.

:o

Per Capita Vilent Crime statistics ordered by volume.

Source "Fortune City

50.14 South Africa

21.40 Russia (1999)

10.00 Lithuania

_9.94 Estonia

_6.22 Latvia

_5.64 U.S.A.

_2.94 Spain

_2.86 Finland

_2.84 Northern Ireland

_2.72 Czech Republic

_2.65 Slovakia

_2.58 New Zealand

_2.50 Romania

_2.31 Turkey (1999)

_2.23 Poland

_2.11 Scotland

_2.04 Hungary

_1.97 Sweden

_1.81 Australia

_1.79 France

_1.76 Canada

_1.61 England & Wales

_1.54 Belgium

_1.50 Greece

_1.48 Ireland (Eire)

_1.42 Netherlands

_1.42 Italy

_1.41 Slovenia

_1.24 Portugal

_1.17 Germany

_1.10 Japan

_1.09 Norway

_1.09 Denmark

_1.06 Malta

_1.01 Austria

_0.96 Switzerland

_0.60 Cyprus

_0.23 Luxembourg

Now you were saying about Australia?

:D

The one thing that stands out about that list is SPAIN. I would never have guessed that they would be in the top 10.What are the reasons for this anybody know ?

The one thing that stands out about that list is SPAIN. I would never have guessed that they would be in the top 10.What are the reasons for this anybody know ?

I imagine it's somehow connected to us Brits , verything seems to be :o

Perhaps a result of the retired Gangsters on Costa del Crime...

but a goodly number of british subjects I think ,if that includes canadians , Irish, aussies and kiwis.

have you been in your village for a long time then?? :o:D

Kevin , I think the clue to why Taxexile asked you how long etc may be in this quote you made.

B)

I imagine it's somehow connected to us Brits , verything seems to be :o

Perhaps a result of the retired Gangsters on Costa del Crime...

Of course it is. B)

Haven't you noticed how all the bad guys in American films are British or have British accents?

(Of course all the stupid guys in British films are shorts wearing, camera toting, self opinionated Americans-we, however know it is fiction?) B)

Lets put this into perspective please! 2 british people are arrested and for some reason we are suddenly a criminal country , please. Ive lost count of the number of times ive read about a Thai pimp operating a vice ring in a foreign country being jailed.
parryhandy, were you involved?

The only other farang that I have seen to speak to is at an AA meeting in chiang mai,and there are slightly more americans there than other nationalitys,but a goodly number of british subjects I think ,if that includes canadians , Irish, aussies and kiwis.

CHONOBOT, there is the full paragraph that the quote was taken from and it is chiang mai not Na Ngua.which I have been in for about 2 1/2 years

Sorry about that, That is why I said "I think,if that includes ,ETC."

But I truly do not believe "For 200 years" I was in Dawson Creek BC. on the day that Gueen Liz was coronated and it was a ###### of a party,if she had nothing to do with Canada,then why the celebration? and why all the fighting with the Brit troops in Ireland? and wasn't it less than 200 years ago that England was dumping criminals on Aust.?

Some of the guys here are Anti-British..

I guess..

:DB)B):o

Not me. I just don't like being called a British subject - given that I was born in Australia as were my parents, their parents and their parents parents...

Also, Britain sent convicts to America for 70 odd years before Australia was colonised. The last convicts brought from Britain arrived in Australia in 1868 (135 years ago). Free settlers started arriving in 1793 (210 years ago). Sorry for the history lesson.

Some of the guys here are Anti-British..

I guess..

:D  B)  B)  :o

Not me. I just don't like being called a British subject - given that I was born in Australia as were my parents, their parents and their parents parents...

Also, Britain sent convicts to America for 70 odd years before Australia was colonised. The last convicts brought from Britain arrived in Australia in 1868 (135 years ago). Free settlers started arriving in 1793 (210 years ago). Sorry for the history lesson.

Hey Edward..

I was just joking.. B)

I am amazed at the numbers of Brits with Marks and Spencer shirts on that one encounters in LOS these days. When I first came here in the early 70's the Brits were as scarce as hens' teeth. The Yanks were here in force and the Germans the main farang tourists.

Now it almost seems a school leavers ritual to backpack around Thailand for a couple of months. What's the attaction of this place to the Brits? Or is it just that they are comfortable in a monarchy?

Does anyone have the guts to tell them that it looks a little strange to wear socks with sandals?

EDWARDB;Thanks for the history lesson,there is a lot I do not know about GB politics and history,so you will have to excuse my ignorance of it.

If England was still dropping off convicts 135 years ago,Then when was Aust.given her independance? I know that the US got hers in 1776,after the rev.war.and I have been to ruins of old fortifications along the southeast coast of the USA that date back to the early 1600s.

Kev, getting off topic but Australia has not technically gained independence (yet). I knew you'd get me on that one! Some would argue that we already are, but this could be debated for months. I myself haven't got the time nor energy to do this.

The Brits travel alot coz they can afford to, they're sick of being cramped-up in their little country and coz they hate their weather.

Another history lesson South Australia was first colinised in 1836 by free settlers only. I dont think the term british subject applies to us any more. My family has been here for 5 generations because I don't have a british parent or grandparent I cant get a british passport and would have trouble getting a work permit.

We are only one referendum away from sacking the queen. I have nothing against her personally (very good english for a german and phill speaks well for a greek) but Australia doesn't require a monarch.

Maybe there's so many compatriots doing porridge in Thai jails, cos they feel an affinity with their Commonwealth cousins, especially the Nigerian boys who come here for the fine weather and scenery? Or maybe there's just a profusion of Brit-idiots with passports, unlike the majority of US citizenry who bear arms instead of passports?

From what I have heard,the weather in england does leave something to be desired alright,and then i also think that is cheaper to fly here from there than from ther USA.

and another reason for there being so many in the can instead of americans is,the americans that are of the type are already in prison in the USA.

Guest IT Manager
From what I have heard,the weather in england does leave something to be desired alright,and then i also think that is cheaper to fly here from there than from ther USA.

and another reason for there being so many in the can instead of americans is,the americans that are of the type are already in prison in the USA.

Thank you Kevin.

Is there really any wonder I demonstrate such an unusual vein of appreciation for this chap?

Lets put this into perspective please! 2 british people are arrested and for some reason we are suddenly a criminal country , please. Ive lost count of the number of times ive read about a Thai pimp operating a vice ring in a foreign country being jailed.
parryhandy, were you involved?

Invovled in what ? Please explain ?