Do I Want An Ipod/nano/or Generic?

jaideeguy

Do I want an ipod/nano/or generic??

What I am looking for is a simple, reliable, user friendly and inexpensive portable player

that will play mp3s that I have downloaded onto my hd........Would like to have at least 4gig capacity and usb connect to pc and a voice recorder would be a big plus.

If I go with the ipod, which of the many models would suit my needs and will I be able to transfer mp3 files from my pc [not a mac].

And are there any models that i can simply stick a flash drive into??

any suggestions for locally available gadgets???

ipod has just got it right interface and design software wise. There is no better MP3 player.

Nano or Touch would suit your needs. If you can afford it would recommend the touch with all the excellent applications and movie playback etc.

Sony makes a line of MP3 and MP4 players and they have come way down in price over the past year. A nice one is 2990 baht , might be worth a look. I've given up buying the cheap Chinese junk, it always breaks. The Japs seem to be able to produce quality stuff in China.

That is what I was afraid of......ipod won't accept my 'home ripped' mp3s [or other files]??

Ipod's accept any ripped MP3's you have.....

So, what's the procedure?? any special software I need?/

I thought that all apple products had to go thru itunes.

That is what I was afraid of......ipod won't accept my 'home ripped' mp3s [or other files]??

Ipod's accept any ripped MP3's you have.....

So, what's the procedure?? any special software I need?/

I thought that all apple products had to go thru itunes.

Just copy all your MP3's into itunes to catalog and sync to your ipod. It is the best way to keep your music organised full stop. Of course the Apple haters will disagree.

I didn't realize you could transfer ripped .mp3 files into itunes. Can you do the same thing with an iPhone? i.e. Easily transfer .mp3 files from my computer to an iPhone via itunes?

Sony makes a line of MP3 and MP4 players and they have come way down in price over the past year. A nice one is 2990 baht , might be worth a look. I've given up buying the cheap Chinese junk, it always breaks. The Japs seem to be able to produce quality stuff in China.

I got a Sony and love it. Reviewers say Sony sounds better than Ipod (better DAC). Certainly sounds great to me. No need to use Itunes, just drag 'n' drop or use Winamp or whatever. And Sonys are readily available in Thailand, unlike some other brands.

If you get an Ipod, there are alternatives to ITunes for managing it, some payware.

I didn't realize you could transfer ripped .mp3 files into itunes. Can you do the same thing with an iPhone? i.e. Easily transfer .mp3 files from my computer to an iPhone via itunes?

Yes.

iTunes manages your media, but that's it. You can drag and drop any downloaded audio onto iTunes and it will import them in the library, and you'll be able to sync to the iPod. You don't need to buy anything from the iTunes store. I have purchased about 10 songs from iTunes, and I have 30GB of music... a lot of stuff came from CDs, iTunes is very convenient for ripping CDs to mp3, actually.

I'd also recommend an iPod, the others apparently have kind of given up competing. iTunes has a lot to do with it because it's not easy to make a very good media manager software to run on the computer, and certainly not something small hardware manufacturers can do. So they all have to deal with file systems and drag and drop.

No idea why some people seem to passionately hate iTunes. I love it. Then again, I have used it for nearly 10 years, ever since it was first released.

I got an iPod many years ago and started using it with MusicMatch. I don't think it is around any more...but I switched to iTunes anyway. Just easier to use an iPod with iTunes than with MM.

I love the iPod and am on my second one. They have taken a beating. Traveling around the world with me for 8+ years. The first one starting having battery problems...plus it was only 40GB. So, 3 years ago got the 80GB model. LOVE IT! Battery still works pretty darn good and I use it all the time. I plug it into my stereo and use it as my media player (I also plug it into any stereo wherever I am...works great!).

I am now looking at the 160GB model as I have a bunch of ripped MP3s....well, pretty much all my music came from a bit torrent site. I just downloaded the Jazz Masters series of 60 CDs. Fantastic stuff. But need more room on my iPod!!!

I use iTunes to categorize all the music...this took some time. So I can play all jazz or rock or chill out. I don't find it hard to use, but have been with it for about 7 years or so.

I am looking at connecting my stereo to my PC for my music...but find having the iPod there is pretty easy....and I don't need to leave the PC on all the time.

I also got a "Y" splitter so my wife and I can listen to music together while we are on a plane, bus, donkey cart or whatever....