Non Immigrant - Family

I have been told many times if i have a big sum of money i can just get a 1 year visa because my kid is thai. I am not in my ccountry with my gf and my kid and going to get my new visa.. i can't ask them because they replaced the workers there with local people instead of thais.

How much do i need exactly, and do i need to send it to my kasikorn or i can just put it in my local bank account?

If you are talking about a non immigrant O visa to visit it will be up to the Consulate involved. There is no set requirement for any cash for visa except 20k required by law for all (which is generally not checked). Most Consulates in the area of Thailand will not issue more than a single entry non immigrant O visa for child.

If you are asking about one year extensions of stay from Immigration the requirements for funds are the same as for spouse with provisions of custody/age/support being required.

On a short term basis - You may obtain a 2 month term extension of stay permit to "visit your Thai Child." This type of extension however, is only issued or extended 2 months at a time. This extension of stay permit does not require proof of funds. Also by showing the birth certificate with your name as the father will suffice. No need to visit the District office. You will be happy to know, you do not have to have a visa to do the 2 month extension. Simply having a tourist visa exemption stamp is ok to apply.

On a long term basis, you could apply for an extension of stay based on being "the father of a Thai child." This extension usually applied for by a non-married parent. Whereas if the parents are married, the father would be applying for a extension of stay based on being married to a Thai national.

Prior to the application submission, supporting documents must be prepare : i.e. you (the applicant) would need to be recognize by the district office (i.e. the foreign spouse being recorded and verify that he/she is the father/mother of the child). This route could be undertake with less complication only if the child is able to communicate and have sound knowledge of understanding.

If the child (still a toddler) does not or unable to communicate, you as the foreign parent must go through the appointment by the Thai Family court. Once the court have announce its ruling, the applicant must take this court order to the district office to obtain the documents mentioned above.

Other documents required to apply for this type of visa are:

1. Certification Letter issued by the District Office (as described above)

2. Applicant’s passport

3. Child’s birth certificate and house registration

4. Confirmation of the Applicant’s monthly salary (demonstrating at least 40,000 Baht per month) (proven by PND 1 and PND 91) OR Bank’s confirmation of the applicant’s bank account showing the balance of at least 400,000 Baht in the applicant’s Thai bank account. The money can be in any Thai bank either in a fixed deposit or savings. It should also be noted that, this 400,000 Baht must be deposited into the designated bank account for at least 2 months prior to the visa application submission.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]