So It'S "Bye-Bye Fortuna"

I hope this is the end of the Fortuna in Thailand. I am tired of having these things being driven by madmen who think they have the right of way 100% of the time.

At least if the price goes up there will be less around in a few years.

do you seriously think that if the Fortuna was to disappear - which it won't - that those who drive them would disappear?

There is a strange perception about drivers and cars which really doesn't stand up -

I would rather a camry tailgating than a fortuner.

I prefere the Landcruiser. larger and more heavy:rolleyes:.

THis denial is really quite interestingWhat does it say about EMCOT for a start and any other news items they broadcast on ANYTHING - I knew the Thai news media was pretty appalling but to be unable to report a simple piece of news like this accurately....the mind boggles.

Just goes to show that you can't believe anything you hear on the Thai media -

To those concerned about tailgating - have you ever wondered WHY you get tailgated?

It NEVER happens to me.

Perhaps someone should start a thread on that topic.

i did a few years ago.

ok picture this. you are driving at 110KPH following other cars in the outside lane. on the inside lane is a bus, a truck and 10 cars. so you can not move over because of the other traffic, you cannot drive faster because of the traffic is blocking you in front. and then there is the last car who is driving up your arse. tailgating.

that is how you can get tailgated over here.

one does not have to be driving slow all on his own in the outside lane, if he did that then he would deserve to be tailgated.

Every time someone comes up with this scenario - WHY - because they cannot read the traffic and end up in these situations - when will people learn that most of the "problems" they have when driving are a result of their OWN driving abilities and style.

now I think this is off topic - if you want to discuss, why not start another thread?leave the address to it here?

Every time someone comes up with this scenario - WHY? - because they cannot read the traffic and end up in these situations - when will people learn that most of the "problems" they have when driving are a result of their OWN driving abilities and style?

now I think this is off topic - if you want to discuss, why not start another thread?leave the address to it here?

Edited by Deeral

Every time someone comes up with this scenario - WHY? - because they cannot read the traffic and end up in these situations - when will people learn that most of the "problems" they have when driving are a result of their OWN driving abilities and style?

Personally i don't dislike Fortuners. But it's really true, that most of their drivers think, they are dhe "king of the roads". Camrys don't (unless it is a airport taxi). "Tuna" drivers think they are big and powerful (in a weak fortuner). Sometime i give them the chance (if there is not much traffic) and see them comming much smaller in my rear mirror. How they ever think they could follow a V8? But if heavy traffic, i let them go. They can have their accident if they want.

Just took delivery of a Honda City, made in Thailand but $2,000 cheaper in Australia. Theoreticaly the move shoudlnt' effect the price. But supply and demand is the key. There was little room to move when I bought the honda. Nor was there a test vehicle available.

I also own a Fortuner which I consider the best in this market segment. In my opinion it is the best looker and it covers all bases well. However it is becoming dated and when you look at what's available in Europe and even Australia it's way behind.

For those of you who knock Fortuners and their drivers....get a life. Don't begrudge those who happen to be better off.

Just took delivery of a Honda City, made in Thailand but $2,000 cheaper in Australia. Theoreticaly the move shoudlnt' effect the price. But supply and demand is the key. There was little room to move when I bought the honda. Nor was there a test vehicle available.

I also own a Fortuner which I consider the best in this market segment. In my opinion it is the best looker and it covers all bases well. However it is becoming dated and when you look at what's available in Europe and even Australia it's way behind.

For those of you who knock Fortuners and their drivers....get a life. Don't begrudge those who happen to be better off.

errr! I'm not begrudging fortuna drivers because they are better off than me. My car would cost around the same as one.

I'm knocking them because they drive the way they do.

Personally i don't dislike Fortuners. But it's really true, that most of their drivers think, they are dhe "king of the roads". Camrys don't (unless it is a airport taxi). "Tuna" drivers think they are big and powerful (in a weak fortuner). Sometime i give them the chance (if there is not much traffic) and see them comming much smaller in my rear mirror. How they ever think they could follow a V8? But if heavy traffic, i let them go. They can have their accident if they want.

Well, I am both a Camry & Fortuna driver, does that mean schizophrenia? :)

As for comments about "V8 - I would be very careful what you say.

fistly if you are the kind of person who thinks the public highway is the place for speed competitions the driver is FAR more important than the engine.

And secondly I know of several Toyota pickups and SUVs that have been converted to V8. So I wouldn't be surprised to find a Fortuner hiding one under its hood.THere is also a 4 litre option in some countries so if you encounter one of those you might in in for a further dent to your ego.

Edited by Deeral

THere is also a 4 litre option in some countries..

The current shape Hilux VIGO was available in Australia back in 2008 with an Eaton M90 supercharged 4.0L petrol engine making 302HP/453Nm.. Not enough to compete with the 425HP/550Nm HSV 6.2L LS3 V8 Maloo 'ute' of the day, but enough to do away with most things on the road in Thailand :)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

As for comments about "V8 - I would be very careful what you say.

fistly if you are the kind of person who thinks the public highway is the place for speed competitions the driver is FAR more important than the engine.

And secondly I know of several Toyota pickups and SUVs that have been converted to V8. So I wouldn't be surprised to find a Fortuner hiding one under its hood.THere is also a 4 litre option in some countries so if you encounter one of those you might in in for a further dent to your ego.

We not talk about "some countries" We talk about Thailand, right? You can always build your car in LOS. Overhere you can put a V12 in anything, so long as you have "engine import documents", but i tought we talk about stock cars. Anyway, but there must be a reason why many peaple complaining about tailigating fortuners. Anyway i still not understand why some peaple try to tailgating and racing in a Family SUV. Why they don't just buy a sport car?

Edited by stingray

I hope this is the end of the Fortuna in Thailand. I am tired of having these things being driven by madmen who think they have the right of way 100% of the time.

At least if the price goes up there will be less around in a few years.

Ah ha, but then these 'madmen' might by another SUV which has less brakes (MU7) so your problem will be worse. :)

You are right there. I have my criticisms of my fortuner, but the brakes are superb and stop a 2 tonner here quicker than my 1 ton Jag stops in the UK.