Non-O To Non-B

Hi guys,

I am from the UK and have been on a Non-O for the past 2 years (two 1yr O visa's so far) and about to go into my 2nd extension on the second year.

I am joining a company here and wanting to change to the Non-B (to get wp), but heres the dilema. To change to the Non-B I need to either go out of the country (singapore as I have done that before) and change to the Non-B, or go to cambodia and change to tourist and go through the process of changing to a Non-B which the company's HR dept says is possible. The reason I would prefer to do the tourist option is because going to singapore + hotels etc is going to be 15k+ and then its not even 100% sure and still might have change to tourist if that does not work out.

Im not sure what to do, has anyone ever gone through the process of going from tourist -> Non B within thailand? Or is there another way to make this possible?

Thanks,

Dan

Why would you have to go to Singapore? Any Consulate can issue a non immigrant B visa with proper paperwork. I take it you have been using multi entry non immigrant O visas and labor office will not issue a work permit on that?

I have to go outside the country to change the Non-O to Non-B - or is that incorrect? I have been using multiple entry non-o and yes, they will not accept a work permit on that.

Yes, that is my main concern. What would be your opinion on going to the consulate in Camboda, Phnom Penh for this procedure with all the documents from the company? Or is it a safe bet to go somewhere like KL?

Would the documents be the same for all thai consulates for changing to a Non-B? The singapore embassy wanted a list of documents but cant seem to find the requirements from the cambodian one. Am I being extremly dumb because I cant find them :S

Yeah ^^^ I am a little confused also, normally a WP can be issued against a non-o. What reason were you given for refusal to issue a WP?

You will find its the company itself, a lot of companies dont know how to deal with a non-imm "O" + WP application.....suspect the labour office is not even involved..

The vast majority of companies dont even know the rules,...

Yeah ^^^ I am a little confused also, normally a WP can be issued against a non-o. What reason were you given for refusal to issue a WP?

Some reports in recently of labour offices declining to issue WP against Non-O visa unless visa itself was issued on basis of marriage to Thai. I guess that kind of mirrors approach using extension of stay based on marriage to obtain WP. Otherwise seems Non-B visa would be required. How widespread application of the 'rule' is is not known at this stage under more reports come in.

Would the documents be the same for all thai consulates for changing to a Non-B? The singapore embassy wanted a list of documents but cant seem to find the requirements from the cambodian one. Am I being extremly dumb because I cant find them :S

The documents required for issue of Non-B visa within the region can be found on the Ministry of Foreign Affairs' website here. Note you will need to take with you to the embassy/consulate Form WP3 receipt obtained from labour office.