The Elusive Neti Pot

SwaziBird

Before you ask, for those who don't know what a neti pot is, let me elucidate.

It is like a little teapot with a spout. Now don't laugh - you fill it with salt-water then stick the spout up one of your nostrils. Tilting your head to the appropriate degree allows gravity to feed this liquid up your nostril, around and through the nasal sinuses and then stream out the other nostril.

A fiendish device but, one, I'm told that does wonders for sinus congestion and all accompanying discomforts.

The neti pot has been advocated and used by yogis since time immemorial.

Perhaps some kind soul might know where I could procure such an instrument of torture.

Was not looking for a second-hand one !

Cheers

This thread will surely bring out the wannabe comedians. I wish they had day jobs to keep.

No, I haven't found one here but I prefer a squeezable plastic bottle. Just keep it clean.

A touch of baking soda in the salt water makes it more comfortable.

But yes, it is very effective - couldn't have survived the month of march here without it.

The process is called nasal lavage or irrigation. Mayo clinic is a good source for info.

forget the neti pot. just head down to carrefour and buy a small baby bottle.

then pick up a pack of angled nipples. cut the nipple slightly off center for nasal insertion.

soft nipples are much more comfy than a ceramic neti pot.

and the whole deal is machine washable.

and won't break if you drop it in the shower, which is where you want to do this,

as it can get messy.

oh, and if you're with your wife shopping, and you come to the register, and can't find the

small package......

.....don't ask in a loud voice "hon, have you seen my nipples?"

For some time I try to find a Neti-pot in Thailand. Unfortunately without succes. About 6 months ago, I saw one at the corridor-shop in front of Pizza Hut at the 4rd floor, Central Airport. They were asking 4.500 Baht for a very small pot saying it was completely hand-made.

TIT

Pretty much every pharmacy here sells a little red rubber bulb thing with nozzle attached.

Has a picture of a baby on 2 sides of the box.

It's designed to clean out baby's nose.

Says "Nose Cleaner" on the box.

I use it just like a neti pot. Tilt the head sideways, gently squeeze the bulb.

If you want to get really fancy, buy a couple of bottles of sterile saline solution, if you are squeamish about tap water with salt, etc.

Cost me a whopping 28 B at my soi pharmacy.

i bought a little squeeze bottle at chiang mai plastic (in warorot). works fine. filled it up with warm salt water and gently squeezed water into one nostril over the sink. had a cold a few weeks ago and it really helped clear up the sinuses. i don't think you need a fancy neti pot. i could be wrong.