Foreigners Who Want To Marriage In Uk Must Speak English

Quote "38,000 visas for spouses were granted and a further 21,000 people were granted indefinite leave to remain."

Compare that to the hundreds of thousands of East European economic migrants who have found a home in the UK with hardly any language skills and will not be subjected to such a language test.

Picking an easy target without addressing the real issues imho.

How true.

Are not the migrants from East Europe members of the EU? and entitled to move and work in fellow EU countries.

As in the online Guardian today, "who is going to pick all our fruit and vegetables?", certainly not the great unwashed & workshy currently on state handouts in the UK.

You miss the point, as indeed I think the Home Office has with this latest scheme. If the percieved problem with immigration is that immigrants can't speak English well enough, targeting new exams at a small segment of that population and ignoring the English skills of the majoirty (Esatern EU workers), doesn't quite solve the problem.

I agree, the point has been missed. It seems very odd that the test does not apply to the EU states who go to the UK  with no english. So its ok to live in UK and not speak english if your from Poland but if your from Thailand then take a test please. 

Although i do think this test is there to stop the countless arranged marriages or false marriages just to obtain citizenship, and like normal its a minority which spoil it for the majority.

By the way to the topic starter, KKvampire, Who are you to judge who comes and goes in to our country? "Too many men picking up a foreign female , usually in asia , with none or very little English" what sort of comment is this? Do you have the figures? or was that a blatant of the hook comment? What would be wrong in "picking up" a foreign female? At the end if the day the uk is as much my country as it is (maybe) yours  I thought this world was free or maybe only free to do what im told! Fascist !

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It goes a bit deeper than that:

"The measure, due to come into force this autumn, will apply to spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate they can speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based system".

the interviewer , is probably from india .

p.s. i think all jocks , jordies , and scousers .

should be tested on arrival in U.K.

ACH AI MAN

It goes a bit deeper than that:

"The measure, due to come into force this autumn, will apply to spouses and unmarried couples who are already in Britain as well as overseas applicants. Anyone wishing to come to Britain must first demonstrate they can speak English at the same level required for skilled workers admitted under the points-based system".

the interviewer , is probably from india .

p.s. i think all jocks , geordies , and scousers .

should be tested on arrival in U.K.

ACH AI MAN .

The new Home Secretary, the Hon Theresa May had it spot on. "it is a privilege to come to the UK"

let us hope , she can restore the, GREAT in BRITAIN.

IMO. we are a very unpatriotic nation .

It seems very odd that the test does not apply to the EU states who go to the UK  with no english. So its ok to live in UK and not speak english if your from Poland but if your from Thailand then take a test please. 

Nothing odd at all, one has rules, movement and trade agreements, others have not.

If you feel it is wrong, lobby your local MP, but overall I know which road, street or cul-de-sac you/I will travel.

The new Home Secretary, the Hon Theresa May had it spot on. "it is a privilege to come to the UK"

let us hope , she can restore the, GREAT in BRITAIN.

IMO. we are a very unpatriotic nation .

Ah, those were the days: when half the world was pink and Britannia ruled the waves.

It's a shame that times have moved on, and by the way, "Great Britain" is not a nation, but a country of two nation states and a principality.

...cul-de-sac you/I will travel.

Bearing in mind these days of European integration, Moss, I award you 10/10 for your use of French, which incidentally means "ar*e of a bag".

Scouse.

...Who's going to assess this? ...there may be some business opportunities here and potentially open avenues for 'corrupt agents' too. And what would be the all important fee for this..

You're quite correct in your views. If one casts one's mind back to the introduction of the ESOL with citizenship/Life in the UK test requirement, this spawned a whole new business opportunity for shonky colleges which offered passes in a week for an agreed fee. Only recently has the government sought to address this issue by requiring that colleges be accredited.

It is likely that the new rules will require that a qualification be "accredited", but which UK-based quango is going to enforce such a requirement? None that I can see. It might be the case that a candidate sits an exam with a prescribed invigilator in Thailand and that the paper is then electronically remitted to the UK for marking by a recognised body, but there is then no safeguard that the person who is being awarded the qualification is the one who sat the test.

Personally, and bearing in mind that immigration law has to allow for all of the indigenous tongues of the UK, I'm setting up my Welsh and Gaelic colleges in Bangkok, Islamabad, Delhi, Dhaka etc., not to mention Buenos Aires, to cater for the Patagonian contingent.

Scouse.

Do I sense some cynical tone in your comment or am I mistaken ? unsure.gif

If it can be done in Dutch for partners from outside the EU (from the so called non-western countries; funny enough Japan amongst them) it can be done in English also. English, after all, is a lot more easy language to study than Dutch.

It is mandatory now since some time that the foreign partner has to do an exam in the Dutch language at the Embassy of any given country from a non-western country, whether from China, Thailand or Morocco.

AFTER the applicant has done and passed this test, a follow up integration scholarship has to be followed and that is mandatory as well.

There was an enormous opposition at first but now..................now, MOST applicants make it through the first Exam and that exam is quite costly, some € 300 (GBP 250) I believe and if you don't pass.........you have to pay and do it again......

It needs some study, yes, but why not ?

If the partners wish to be together, and the laws in the UK (or other country) allow the "landing", the newcomer should prepare for his or her new country citizenship.

It has already shown that good integrated newcomers who speak the language are better integrated in the job circuit as well and will find a job more easy than those who do not want to follow the laws of their new country.

And, for shady colleges or study opportunities: this has been arranged and is quite strict in the "language-material" and later the "integration-material" for the students.

It's up to the government to arrange proper and trustworthy colleges and/or study opportunities.

It can be done and I think it's a great idea of your new government; they might have had a "peep" in the Dutch Integration kitchen wink.gif

LaoPo

Perhaps not so much cynicism, but ennui.

If the (UK) government were intent on introducing meaningful language tests for newcomers, they wouldn't do it in such a way that it creates another level of bureaucracy that is simply overcome by payment of a fee to a third party; i.e. how much do I need to pay to pass this exam? It's all about income generation for those private entities currently in favour (e.g. VFS), rather than any substance.

Despite the language requirements of Dutch law, the Netherlands' election results make interesting reading:-

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/europe/wilders-makes-shock-gains-in-dutch-elections-1997293.html

Scouse.

It's a shame that times have moved on, and by the way, "Great Britain" is not a nation, but a country of two nation states and a principality.

Off topic but, and by the way Great Britain is NOT a country.

Great Britain WAS a sovereign state between 1707 and 1801

Great Britain IS:

an island comprising 3 countries;

an island comprising 3 nations;

together with Northern Ireland a unitary sovereign state.

The term principality is sometimes used to denote Wales, but this has no constitutional basis. A Prince of Wales has not ruled since the middle ages. Nowhere on the Welsh Government website will you see reference to it being a principality except in published correspondence where the word is used (incorrectly) by a non-governmental entity. Many Welsh consider the term patronising and demeaning by denoting subservience to England.

Upon relection, if the langauge tests don't cut down the number of non-whites immigrants (which is, I am sure, the intent) they can test them on the constitutional make up of the UK. That'll sort the problem.

It seems very odd that the test does not apply to the EU states who go to the UK with no english. So its ok to live in UK and not speak english if your from Poland but if your from Thailand then take a test please.

Like it or not; various European treaties which the UK has signed means that it would be illegal to place such a restriction on nationals of other member states coming to the UK. Just as it would be illegal for other member states to place similar restrictions on UK nationals.

There are some nasty comments starting to creep into some posts. Comment on the proposals, and they are just proposals at present, by all means but if I see any more racist sentiments creeping into posts I will come down hard on the perpetrators.

It seems very odd that the test does not apply to the EU states who go to the UK with no english. So its ok to live in UK and not speak english if your from Poland but if your from Thailand then take a test please.

Like it or not; various European treaties which the UK has signed means that it would be illegal to place such a restriction on nationals of other member states coming to the UK. Just as it would be illegal for other member states to place similar restrictions on UK nationals.

There are some nasty comments starting to creep into some posts. Comment on the proposals, and they are just proposals at present, by all means but if I see any more racist sentiments creeping into posts I will come down hard on the perpetrators.

Bold:

That's correct, but we're talking here about partners, coming from non-European member states and/or non-EU member states.

The EU member states have signed, as you already mentioned, many agreements and free travel and work permits belong to those agreements, with or without the knowledge of English, French, Polish, Dutch, Portuguese or any other EU country...we have 23 OFFICIAL LANGUAGES in the European Union; English is one of them ! rolleyes.gif

But, I don't see why people, wanting to come to the UK (or any other EU member) from countries outside of the EU, should not learn the language of the country of their choice; read: their partner/spouse.

Everybody here is aware that there are hundreds of thousands (if not many millions) of "old" immigrants who still do not speak a single word of the language where they live already for decades.

That's a bad development.

The younger people should learn the language of the country of their settlement.

Our parents and (great)-grandparents have lived, worked, suffered and paid taxes for centuries and built all those countries from scratch.

It's an absolute must...IMO....that newcomers should also start contributing to the development of those countries.

Work is one of them and in order to work somewhere, you need to speak the language.

LaoPo

Speaking for myself, the issue is not that such tests are going to be introduced, but how a universal standard is going to be set, maintained and effectively enforced.

As it stands, the concept has the appearance of wealth-creation for those providers favoured by the government, and not the purposes of ensuring that would-be immigrants already speak English to a pre-determined standard; i.e. give us X amount of spondoolicks and you'll get your sistificate to show that your English is of the required level, which to my mind defeats the objective.

Scouse.

Speaking for myself, the issue is not that such tests are going to be introduced, but how a universal standard is going to be set, maintained and effectively enforced.

As it stands, the concept has the appearance of wealth-creation for those providers favoured by the government, and not the purposes of ensuring that would-be immigrants already speak English to a pre-determined standard; i.e. give us X amount of spondoolicks and you'll get your sistificate to show that your English is of the required level, which to my mind defeats the objective.

Scouse.

IMO it can't be a company or companies, as favoured by the Government who would deliver the language tests.

According rules in the EU (but I suppose also in the UK) major new "orders" (given out by any Government) have to be openly applied for by any company, isn't that so ?

The best and/or cheapest company who offers the best possible language test wins the contract.

It's done like that all over Europe and the UK wouldn't be any different.

And, if someone who controls certain language skills already and passes the test: fine, why not ?

PS: Spondoolicks*.....blink.gif..you see?

I had to look it up since I never heard of this slang word before. Never too old too learn something new, right ?

* Cockney/Yiddish colloquial term for money, particularly cash acquired in a profitable exchange.

It shows that newcomers to the UK need some English lessons badly.......... laugh.gif

LaoPo

It shows that newcomers to the UK need some English lessons badly..........

Whereas my turn of phrase is an example of bad English goodly. :) However, I admire your English when, other than a token couple of phrases, I cannot speak Dutch.

I'm sorry to be a Boer bore, but returning to the original point, I can't help but feel that it's just another means of taking money off people for something that doesn't really achieve anything.

Scouse.

It shows that newcomers to the UK need some English lessons badly..........

Whereas my turn of phrase is an example of bad English goodly. :) However, I admire your English when, other than a token couple of phrases, I cannot speak Dutch.

I'm sorry to be a Boer bore, but returning to the original point, I can't help but feel that it's just another means of taking money off people for something that doesn't really achieve anything.

Scouse.

Thank you for the compliment.

Dutch people, being from a very small country, had and has no other option than to spread the wings and fly out or step in a sailboat and conquer the world. That's for international orientated citizens; not for the ones who have no ambition other than to stay within their own small environment.

I was educated in three other languages besides Dutch and it's a sad thing that the school system was softened in the 70's and 80's not offering multi-language packages in school anymore; just one other foreign language and most students took English or German since it's more easy to study rather than French.

Still, most of the younger people speak and read (some) English but only the higher educated ones can manage beyond simple English.

The same for German.

That's why I disagree and I'm sorry that you do not (yet?) see the benefits of the newcomers to the UK, having to learn the language.

It's more benefiting than just to the company who wins the contract to deliver the language tests.

It doesn't achieve anything as you write ?......I fail to see that since it not only benefits the man/woman who's coming to the UK, it benefits the whole system, the job market, being able to communicate in shops, stations, the subway, with family, friends from the partner. I could go on.

It's a win-win situation and it's not -exclusively- about the profits for the language-test company.

The newcomers are more or less "forced" to learn the language at a greater speed than they normally would and are also -thus- able to take part of the labor market in the UK.

The UK also needs less people from the continent....wink.gif

If the system (heavily opposed in the beginning) works in Holland, why not in the UK ?

LaoPo

I don't necessarily disagree with you, Lao Po. However, my point is that those who immigrate to a given country will, if so inclined, learn the indigenous tongue without government intervention. Those who can't be bothered will both flounder and founder.

The legal requirement for immigrants to have a certain ability in English has served only to line the pockets of "preferred" providers of English courses. Indeed, I am able to count amongst my clients various foreign Premiership football players, very few of whom see any relevance in learning English. Additionally, there are 3 "common" native languages in the UK, and the law allows people to manifest an ability in not only English, but Welsh and Scottish Gaelic. Even if an immigrant speaks Welsh, and thereby meets the requirements of the law, s/he is not going to fair very well when travelling to, for example, London.

Scouse.

It is most definitely not “just proposals”. The government has announced the implementation of a manifesto commitment. It is a statement of intent. The government has not invited comment or discussion. It will not be open to a free vote by conservative MPs and is therefore guaranteed to be passed into law. Under the terms of the coalition agreement the Lib-Dems will vote for or abstain; the Lords by convention will not block manifesto legislation.

After it becomes law there is the possibility of a challenge under Human Rights Legislation. Reportedly (Telegraph ) the Labour Govt considered, and rejected, introducing similar legislation. I assume they feared a judicial review.

I object to the legislation on ethical and moral grounds which I have difficulty in articulating so will not attempt for fear of boring forum members.

I have not read any racist comment or detected any racist "sentiment" in this thread. Perhaps you are misinterpreting flippancy or sarcasm. The closest has been Scousers comments on Welsh and Gaeliclaugh.gif

I don't necessarily disagree with you, Lao Po. However, my point is that those who immigrate to a given country will, if so inclined, learn the indigenous tongue without government intervention. Those who can't be bothered will both flounder and founder.

The legal requirement for immigrants to have a certain ability in English has served only to line the pockets of "preferred" providers of English courses. Indeed, I am able to count amongst my clients various foreign Premiership football players, very few of whom see any relevance in learning English. Additionally, there are 3 "common" native languages in the UK, and the law allows people to manifest an ability in not only English, but Welsh and Scottish Gaelic. Even if an immigrant speaks Welsh, and thereby meets the requirements of the law, s/he is not going to fair very well when travelling to, for example, London.

Scouse.

1. Football players; we have the same story; these are temporarily "workers" at very high salaries and they are brought into the country by scouts and fall out of the normal "immigration" rules.

The same for high earning IT specialists, bankers and other high earning expats working for a limited period of time in a certain EU country etc.

In our discussion we speak about foreigners wanting to marry and stay in the UK.

2. And, about the 3 languages in the UK; we have 2 official languages in Holland too: Dutch and "Fries"; the same as there are 3 official languages in Catalunya, the autonomous region/province in Spain with Spanish, Catalan and Aranese.

BUT, immigrants would only need to speak a basic Spanish instead of learning Catalan (or the small Aranese language) since Spain only has Spanish Embassies abroad; the same for your Welsh and Scottish Gaelic languages.

An immigrant Lady who meets a Welsh chap in, let's say Indonesia or Iraq, and would learn some Welsh from him over some time, would still need to speak some English also.

After all, most Welsh people speak English too, don't they? If you would travel around a bit, your Welsh (Catalan, Fries or Scottish) wouldn't bring you very far, would it ....? wink.gif

Try to speak Welsh to the Immigration officer at BKK airport.....tongue.gif

LaoPo

The legal requirement for immigrants to have a certain ability in English has served only to line the pockets of "preferred" providers of English courses

An equally valid argument would be that the immigration rules have served only to line the pockets of immigration advisers! You may argue that not all visa applicants use an adviser, but then not all take an English course; many simply sit the LitUK test.
Additionally, there are 3 "common" native languages in the UK, and the law allows people to manifest an ability in not only English, but Welsh and Scottish Gaelic. Even if an immigrant speaks Welsh, and thereby meets the requirements of the law, s/he is not going to fair very well when travelling to, for example, London
.As one can only take the test in Welsh or Scottish Gaelic in Wales or Scotland, I don't see the point of this comment. If that is where they will be living, then what's wrong with the new requirement testing them in one of those languages? A non-English speaking French person, for example, entering the UK under the EEA rules would have the same difficulties in London!

Although I doubt that many settlement applicants would be able to converse in either language, and as LaoPo says, most Welsh or Scottish Gaelic speakers can also speak English.

I am strongly in favour of the KOL requirement for ILR, indeed it is one of the very few things the last government did that I am in favour of! I also can see little wrong with the spouse, civil partner, fiance, proposed civil partner, unmarried partner or same sex partner of a British citizen or permanent resident being asked to demonstrate a basic command of spoken English (or Welsh or Scottish Gaelic) when first applying for settlement; even if they are a Premiership footballer!

Knowing the unwillingness of most Brits (me included, although I'm trying) to learn a foreign language, I imagine that most applicants from Thailand can already speak some English (otherwise how do they talk with their sponsor?) and so should have no problem with what appears will be a very basic test.

However, the devil is, as always, in the detail. How will this be assessed? By whom; an ECO at the embassy or someone at the VAC when the application is submitted?

Finally, before someone asks, I am trying to learn Thai, it is my intention to eventually retire to Thailand and I realise that being able to speak some Thai would be very advantageous; so no, I would have no objection if the Thai government introduced a similar rule.

An equally valid argument would be that the immigration rules have served only to line the pockets of immigration advisers!

Actually, they have been successful in keeping out the families of some poor primary immigrants. In a Thai context, they appear to be quite effective in keeping out the children of conscientious Thai fathers - presumably we only want the children of feckless fathers in the UK!

Knowing the unwillingness of most Brits (me included, although I'm trying) to learn a foreign language, I imagine that most applicants from Thailand can already speak some English (otherwise how do they talk with their sponsor?) and so should have no problem with what appears will be a very basic test.

Actually, there have been quite a few mixed couples in the UK who primarily communicate in Thai. There are reportedly some cases of husbands who do not want their wives to learn English - not in my circle, so I can't comment on the effects of the assimilatory ILR requirements.

Actually, there is one scenario where the test may have a reasonable effect - where the Thai wife kicks the UK husband out (or he just drops dead - too few cases known to compare numbers) and brings the old Thai boyfriend over.

An equally valid argument would be that the immigration rules have served only to line the pockets of immigration advisers!

A fatuous comment designed to provoke someone who singularly provides an immensely helpful, valuable and authoritative free service to this forum. As a newcommer to the forum I am dismayed that it should be made by a moderator. I suggest an apology.

An equally fatuous comment would be say that all law has served only to line the pockets of the legal profession.

The test will be taken as part of the application process in Thailand and Uzbekhistan, not Wales and Scotland**. Therefore there will be an opening here for a standby Welsh and Gaelic speaker (prepared to commute between the two?). I don't think he will be overworked.

**I am aware of intention to test fiances/spouses already in the UK. What nonsense.

I think this old proposal by this new government is outright discrimination against certain communities.

<deleted>, and they still have to take the usual ESOL OR KOL on top of this test.

I really hope that someone challenges this new ruling in the high court and it be overturned,(just like 3rd party support was).

ITS OUTRIGHT DISCRIMINATION AGAINST CERTAIN COMMUNITIES!!!!

Edited by yeesipha

It is most definitely not "just proposals". The government has announced the implementation of a manifesto commitment. It is a statement of intent. The government has not invited comment or discussion. It will not be open to a free vote by conservative MPs and is therefore guaranteed to be passed into law. Under the terms of the coalition agreement the Lib-Dems will vote for or abstain; the Lords by convention will not block manifesto legislation.

After it becomes law there is the possibility of a challenge under Human Rights Legislation. Reportedly (Telegraph ) the Labour Govt considered, and rejected, introducing similar legislation. I assume they feared a judicial review.

I object to the legislation on ethical and moral grounds which I have difficulty in articulating so will not attempt for fear of boring forum members.

I have not read any racist comment or detected any racist "sentiment" in this thread. Perhaps you are misinterpreting flippancy or sarcasm. The closest has been Scousers comments on Welsh and Gaeliclaugh.gif

A legal challenge by way of judicial review may well be the appropriate thing to do. I guess Article 8 & 14 ECHR/HRA arguments would dominate such challenge. Though Art.8 is a qualified right, it could be argued that forthcoming language requirements are both unneccessary and disproportionate given the existing systems/tests (ESOL etc) already meet the Govt's legitimate aims . As it is a race-specific requirement too, it seems to be a direct infringement of Art 14.

Edited by potter09

How will this be assessed? By whom; an ECO at the embassy or someone at the VAC when the application is submitted?

In The Netherlands one specific language test was implemented for ALL applicants.

The test is done on the Embassy of any given country (the country where the newcomer lives/comes from), possible some General Consulates as well, I'm not sure from country to country.

This test is done in a specially designed kind of booth where an electronic device is installed whereby the applicant has to answer a line of questions in the language of testing. Everything is done automatic and electronically. There is enough time

The questions are very simple and since the language test has been implemented, MOST of the Visa applicants have passed the test.

OF COURSE they have passed I would say since they studied hard to learn the basics of the language

After that, upon landing in the country, the actual integration course starts and everyone HAS to follow this course.

I think it's a good idea since it prevents that many thousands of people come into the country without speaking the language as happened with the hundreds of thousands of newcomers in the past; the so called guest workers who were hired for a limited period but..........decided to stay.

Even now we have many people, mainly the elderly from Morocco and Turkey, who do not speak our language or barely; it is IMPOSSIBLE for them to read any forms or official documents, let alone to talk to a Dutchman/woman in the street.

That's a bad development and telling people to learn the language of the country they want to live in is a good thing and has NOTHING to do with discrimination as some claim

The Mayor of Rotterdam proved so......he was born in Morocco; we have representatives in Parliament with roots in other countries.

We have business people who built their own successful company.

Could they have jumped so far, NOT learning the language? Of course not.

It's an absolute necessity to learn the language of the country of your choice with the intention to stay and live their and built your future for the rest of your life.

The sooner you learn the language, the better.

LaoPo

A fatuous comment designed to provoke someone who singularly provides an immensely helpful, valuable and authoritative free service to this forum. As a newcommer to the forum I am dismayed that it should be made by a moderator. I suggest an apology.

An equally fatuous comment would be say that all law has served only to line the pockets of the legal profession.

Exactly! The original comment made by Scouse was fatuous, as my response was designed to show. However, if you feel that my response breaks the forum rules, feel free to use the report post button.

Some posters are claiming that this measure would be discriminatory and so could be overturned by the courts. I don't see how.

Firstly, the measure, like the KOL requirement for ILR, would apply to all applicants from outside the EEA; although, obviously, native English speakers will be better able to take and pass such a test, as would well educated non native speakers.

Secondly, if this were deemed discriminatory and so illegal, then so is the current KOL requirement for ILR. I haven't heard of this being challenged, but if it was then it appears that challenge was unsuccessful.

Thirdly, as LaoPo says, a similar requirement has been in force in the Netherlands for some time. Again, if it were illegal then I'm sure it would have been successfully challenged by now.

RichardW says "Actually, there have been quite a few mixed couples in the UK who primarily communicate in Thai."

Fair enough, but I'm sure that they are a very small minority, and the Thai partner being able to speak some English can only help them live a fulfilling life in the UK.

He goes on to say "There are reportedly some cases of husbands who do not want their wives to learn English"

This is a good thing? I cannot see any reason for this other than a desire to keep their partner under their control and dominance. If all this measure does is put a brake on such people, then it's worth it.

LaoPo says "It's an absolute necessity to learn the language of the country of your choice with the intention to stay and live their and built your future for the rest of your life.

The sooner you learn the language, the better."

Agree 100%. Where I live there is a large ethnic Pakistani community. Most are by now second and third generation, but their parents and grand parents could not speak English when they first arrived. Most of the men learned, they had to to find work, but some who didn't were exploited by their fellow language speakers; working for long hours and low pay. Most of the women didn't have the opportunity to learn English and so were trapped within their community, unable to communicate with anyone from outside.

Is such ghettoisation what people really want?

The requirement for migrants to be able to communicate in English is not meant to be a disadvantage to the migrants, on the contrary, it is meant to benefit and protect them.

By being able to speak English the foreign spouse will be much less dependent on the british partner and it will be much easier for the foreign spouse to leave their (abusive) partner. The foreign spouse will be able to gather and understand information e.g. about womens shelter, how to sue the ex for maintenance and can ask for help and talk to the police, which weakens the british partner's position a lot.

By learning the language the foreign spouse may also gain more self confidence and learn facts about Britain, that would not have been self evident from previous experiences in the foreigners' country, e.g. that you do not have to pay the police if you want them to help you or that husbands are not allowed to beat their wifes.

Germany has been requiring proficiency in German as a condition for spousal visas for most non-EU foreigners for three years. It works, people adapt.

So now UK has one-upped Arizona and proves that it is as racist as any place in the world. The question is not about the value of learning English, it's about the right of a government to demand it, and then proceed to enforce it at its own whim and discretion. Why don't they require Brits to learn at least one foreign language? Or better yet, require everyone in Wales be able to speak Welsh, ditto Scotland and North Ireland. Do that first, then bash the foreigners...