Suntech Solar Hot Water Heater

i just bought a suntech solar hot water heater. they are installing it today. it has a 200 ltr tank and about 2m x 1.5m solar panel. the whole system including some nice looking white hot water pipe to all the showers is 42000 baht (price probably high because this is Ko Phangan!).

Anyhow, has anyone any solor hot water experience to share? I'm mostly interested in how well it's likely to work in the rainy season; will it produce enough hot water for 4 people or do i need an electric backup?

i guess time will tell but i'd like hear from anyone who has hands on experience.

thx steve

i just bought a suntech solar hot water heater. they are installing it today. it has a 200 ltr tank and about 2m x 1.5m solar panel. the whole system including some nice looking white hot water pipe to all the showers is 42000 baht (price probably high because this is Ko Phangan!).

Anyhow, has anyone any solor hot water experience to share? I'm mostly interested in how well it's likely to work in the rainy season; will it produce enough hot water for 4 people or do i need an electric backup?

i guess time will tell but i'd like hear from anyone who has hands on experience.

thx steve

Steve ,I had solar system of similar size fitted to my Gold Coast home, I left the old storeage type cylinder in as back up but ripped it out after 3 years of never needing it.Never a problem with the solar (4 persons using),even in the rainy season here there is still some sun most days,and you wont use much of the hot water anyway,depending on your water supply and its supply temp, for showers you may only need 10-20 % of your hot water to 80% odd of cold. so effectively your 200l system can supply 2000l of shower temp water.

You can always start with no back up and see how it goes...and then if you need it it should be easy enough to install especially if you plan now put in an extra wire run or two if this would be a problem later etc. etc. If all 4 of the people are addicted to really hot showers you might consider a larger tank...but that can be done later too if the one you've got now proves to be too small so be sure to build the tank support/foundation a bit bigger and sturdier in the event......

You can always start with no back up and see how it goes...and then if you need it it should be easy enough to install especially if you plan now put in an extra wire run or two if this would be a problem later etc. etc.  If all 4 of the people are addicted to really hot showers you might consider a larger tank...but that can be done later too if the one you've got now proves to be too small so be sure to build the tank support/foundation a bit bigger and sturdier in the event......

Chownah,I am fairly sure the system Steve is referring to is the non-electric self contained unit which mounts directly flat on the roof.

• 3 years later...
You can always start with no back up and see how it goes...and then if you need it it should be easy enough to install especially if you plan now put in an extra wire run or two if this would be a problem later etc. etc. If all 4 of the people are addicted to really hot showers you might consider a larger tank...but that can be done later too if the one you've got now proves to be too small so be sure to build the tank support/foundation a bit bigger and sturdier in the event......

Chownah,I am fairly sure the system Steve is referring to is the non-electric self contained unit which mounts directly flat on the roof.

I was told from solar wave that their 300 liter is 70000 baht. They have a less expensive one but we have to have special structure on the roof and the less expensive one is not flat on the roof. It's lifted.

70 k sounded to expensive for me.