Vw Amarok Pickup

Yeah a typo so sue me and you're still off topic as the original post you're commenting on was about the Asian market not the entire world!! Especially since it's called math not "maths" since it's one form of math but hey maybe you're one of those specially educated TEFLER's so it's all good...Just a little stereo typical hypersensitivity about being in the smaller percentile once again in your life I guess? Why take it so personally that RHD is only 1 third of the world market <deleted>?? Geezzz! There's no end to the knee jerk hypersensitivity here....

nice flame atempt and a happy 4th of July.

No flames, nice attempt at trying to make an issue out of it though more of that hypersensitivity and shoulder chip coming through I suppose..

• 4 months later...
  • Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi John - Actually I meant I have a motorbike, not a push bike laugh.gif

I also have two dogs, one sits on the back of the bike and the other on the front. Obviously I don't take them far or go 'flatout'. Shopping is a cinch on a bike, going out is easier than taking the car. I can park it almost anywhere, I shave my hair off so no helmet hair to worry about.

My point was that people who have pick ups don't need them. If I was an environmental geek (which I'm not) they are a problem. Fair enough the guy who has large dogs uses the back of his truck to some good use. I just don't like them, they are (in my opinion...!!!) a waste of space. Like I said, if you use one for picking up huge items every week/month, run a business which needs lots of stock or have an enormous extended family they are great. But, in Thailand (and everywhere else) the owners very rarely use them for what they are designed for. People even see them as being a status symbol, yet all I see is people struggling to park, nearly collect all of the motorbike users on the roads and have to do 32 point turns in a street.

Anyway, enough of that.

----

TransAm - heehee yes I'm a plonker too AND I've just helped some people on another thread whistling.gif

Hi Friend,

with respect, people have the right to choose what they want to drive.

I have a Nissan Navara, this pick-up truck is amazing. 2.5L turbo diesel (the more torquey version), pulls great, and returns good B5 fuel economy (if you drive sensibly). Weak point is that it may not be that environmentally friendly (diesel).

A lot of Thais, even farangs, like to drive pick up trucks. Because you can always store goods at the bed, and we all have a lot of junks and tools we need to carry around, including animals (which I don't think it is a good idea because my bull terrier was gone during a short trip and god bless I found it later, almost heart broken). Most importantly, pick ups are relatively CHEAP. Compare to a Civic that starts at 900 grands and costs an arm and a leg fully optioned. A Honda City, a Toyota Vios top of the range sells near 700 grands, they don't make sense to me.

Most pick up truck drivers on the road, drives quite carefully. It is those hired drivers in commercial pick-ups, who (some) drive like crazy. And let's not forget young people who drive like they are pro racers in their expensive Jazz, Yaris, etc. Some motorcyclists are another problem, you know what I mean.

My Navara on the motorway I usually cruise at 120km/h or less. Whenever I see a car approaching fast, I signal them that I will change to slower lane and let them pass. Aging can change your driving style. Of course, if someone starts high-beam me from far away, <removed> him I stay on my fast lane. You don't demand others to give you the right of the way, when I am driving over the speed limit already.

Lastly, "all" people on this thread did not fully understand Amarok or Ridgeline. These 2 pick up trucks are in different leagues. Compare to the compact pick-ups we have here in Thailand, Lengh, height, wheelbase may be similar, but payload is 500kg heavier (they are one ton ute, not half ton), and they are 10 centimeter wider (that's very wide). These two are "mid size" pick-ups and that's why we are not going to see them here, at least not in the near future. Though who knows maybe VW Thailand will assemble them here in the future for export and possibly start a domestic campaign.

Amarok is going to be a huge sell world wide. 2.0L but as torquey as Navara, with stunning fuel economy. Fit a DSG (heard that currently not available) in it and you have an all-rounder.

Pick ups are mucho more sensible than SUV's, don't you agree?rolleyes.gif

More chance of a Honda Pickup

post-42643-001762000 1276216739_thumb.jp

Saying that while I was out and about yesterday there was a dark blue new Honda Accord Estate with red plates

Hi friend and to the original poster,

Amarok and Ridgeliine are "mid-full size" pick up trucks. They are 10 centimeter wider than compacts we have here in Thailand. Length, wheelbase, height are almost the same but add 10 centimeter to width it becomes a giant.

If VW manufacture it here certainly I will sell my lovely Navara and get the Amarok, but I doubt it very much that we will see VW actually do that. I hope I am totally wrong tho. rolleyes.gif

The Thai government is currently courting both Audi and VW heavily.

The industry minister held a 'roadshow' a couple of weeks back, touring plants and suppliers around Rayong and Chonburi, along with presentations on Thailand's favorable FTA's etc. to sell Audi and VW on the benefits of setting up shop in Thailand. A reasonable sized contingent of German's representing the two brands visited for it.

If VW do take the bait, it would make absolute sense for them to spearhead their efforts with a pickup truck, so long as they can get the pricing right.

The Thai government is currently courting both Audi and VW heavily.

The industry minister held a 'roadshow' a couple of weeks back, touring plants and suppliers around Rayong and Chonburi, along with presentations on Thailand's favorable FTA's etc. to sell Audi and VW on the benefits of setting up shop in Thailand. A reasonable sized contingent of German's representing the two brands visited for it.

If VW do take the bait, it would make absolute sense for them to spearhead their efforts with a pickup truck, so long as they can get the pricing right.

hey MRO, I been to singapore recently and heard from a friend that the market leader 'toyota' has lost a great amount of market share to the VW, due to the fuel economy JETTA, vs the altis & vios (jetta was launch at the price range of vios n altis) , the tiguan was catered for the customers of rav4 and passat vs camry.

That's easy to see happening in any Asian market, with the right pricing they have very compelling products.

In China, VW is the market leader with ~16% market share, and as a single brand will get close to selling more cars in China this year than all Thai makes and models will do combined (including cars, SUV's and pickups) :) By comparison, Toyota has ~6% market share there.

When you look at these numbers, you can see why Thailand is taking VW/Audi very seriously, and I'd be surprised if they don't eventually come up with an incentive package that'll entice them to start manufacturing locally.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

That's easy to see happening in any Asian market, with the right pricing they have very compelling products.

In China, VW is the market leader with ~16% market share, and as a single brand will get close to selling more cars in China this year than all Thai makes and models will do combined (including cars, SUV's and pickups) :) By comparison, Toyota has ~6% market share there.

When you look at these numbers, you can see why Thailand is taking VW/Audi very seriously, and I'd be surprised if they don't eventually come up with an incentive package that'll entice them to start manufacturing locally.

VW operation in China started decades ago with a Passat sedan named Santana. VW has been strong believers in Chines growth, and today it pays off.

If they want to grow in Asean, Thailand seems the best location. Theyr products are more technical complicated than average japs(resulting in more power by less fuel), and Thai auto employess have reached such level by now. Thai government has worked hard to have VW do an ecocar here and if they succeed I believe we will also see the picup made here. The question is, will thai market accept 1998cc in a pickup, even though power is on par with japs 3000cc? Perhaps its time for a change of tax brackets for LOS pickups, benefitting less cc and fuelconsumption. No doubt a change of taxes and the mandatory coming Euro IV is a carrot for VW.

Wonder if they if come would it make any difference on the 6 million price tag of the new Audi RS3 ?

will have to buy a new/newer model sometime, my A6 is getting old

The Audi Renn Sport models are usually limited editions, and made in Germany only. In any case, until/unless Thailand raises the 220HP threshold for max. excise tax (unlikely), cars like this will continue to attract 50% tax even if they're domestically manufactured :(

Wonder if they if come would it make any difference on the 6 million price tag of the new Audi RS3 ?

The Audi Renn Sport models are usually limited editions, and made in Germany only. In any case, until/unless Thailand raises the 220HP threshold for max. excise tax (unlikely), cars like this will continue to attract 50% tax even if they're domestically manufactured :(

yepp. the golden VW/Audi petrol engine for LOS is their 2,0T attracting low tax as long as max 220 hp, and 270 hp available with chips only :)

yepp. the golden VW/Audi petrol engine for LOS is their 2,0T attracting low tax as long as max 220 hp, and 270 hp available with chips only :)

Golf 2.0 here

> 5 doors.

> TSI 2.0 / 4 cylinder.

> 270hp.

> 4 Wheel Drive (Four-Motion).

> Transmission 6-speed DSG.

The Golf 'R' is just under 3 million........ so the Audi with the great 5 cylinder engines and the 7 speed DSG gearbox @ 6 million is way over the top.

Oh well maybe a HONDA CIVIC TYPE-R I like the 3 door better, maybe something better when I change [think change about 2012]

Golf 2.0 here

> 5 doors.

> TSI 2.0 / 4 cylinder.

> 270hp.

The Golf 'R' is just under 3 million........ so the Audi with the great 5 cylinder engines and the 7 speed DSG gearbox @ 6 million is way over the top.

Oh well maybe a HONDA CIVIC TYPE-R I like the 3 door better, maybe something better when I change [think change about 2012]

Golf 2.0L has be de-tuned to 210HP for the Thai market getting into the 30% excise tax bracket (sub-2000cc), rather than the 50% excise tax it ought to have as a 270HP car. The result is it's price reflects 80% import + 30% excise + VAT, instead of 80% import + 50% excise + VAT.

As KBB noted, this the the gem engine for VW/Audi in Thailand because it's already successfully passed itself off as 210HP, and the real HP is easy to get back ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Golf 2.0 here

> 5 doors.

> TSI 2.0 / 4 cylinder.

> 270hp.

Golf 2.0L has be de-tuned to 210HP for the Thai market getting into the 30% excise tax bracket (sub-2000cc), rather than the 50% excise tax it ought to have as a 270HP car. The result is it's price reflects 80% import + 30% excise + VAT, instead of 80% import + 50% excise + VAT.

As KBB noted, this the the gem engine for VW/Audi in Thailand because it's already successfully passed itself off as 210HP, and the real HP is easy to get back ;)

The 2,0 TSI comes as 210 and 270 hp in Europe. They are actually not identical, the latter having a different head and pistons. But 210 can be chipsed to perform identical, one supplier is MTM being very close to VW/Audi :)

and 270hp can be chipsed to 320hp :D

VW Golf, Scirocco, Passat CC and Tiguan are subsidised by VW when sold in LOS, probably to check out the market while considering making cars here (again). Just like Lexus is doing.

Just a small lowering of invoice before importduty makes a huge difference in taxes thus showroom prices

• 3 weeks later...

The Malaysian PM plus lots of shiney Passats and Jettas at the signing between VW and Malaysia's DRB-HICOM today to produce them with a view for the venture to become the Asean hub for VW models.

The Malaysian PM plus lots of shiney Passats and Jettas at the signing between VW and Malaysia's DRB-HICOM today to produce them with a view for the venture to become the Asean hub for VW models.

Presently there is a hard fight between Malaysia and Thailand to win VW heart (or wallet). Malaysias advantage is a strong VW domestic dealership/market. Thailand could win on qualified automotive labour.

But the winner will probably be the one offering most financial support

Vw Amarok Pickup may well be made at Suzuki in Thailand badged Suzuki by mid 2012.. ?

THAILAND: VW to join forces with Suzuki in Thailand [old news earlier this year]

"Suzuki are now building a new car plant in Thailand .VW-Suzuki may use this new plant to produce Amarok and may badge as Suzuki and sell in Thailand."

Reading the news [this week] dated 21st and 22nd December 2010, Malaysia will build the cars and Thailand the Pickup in the VW/Suzuki Alliance

Edited by ignis

Vw Amarok Pickup may well be made at Suzuki in Thailand badged Suzuki by mid 2012.. ?

THAILAND: VW to join forces with Suzuki in Thailand [old news earlier this year]

"Suzuki are now building a new car plant in Thailand .VW-Suzuki may use this new plant to produce Amarok and may badge as Suzuki and sell in Thailand."

Reading the news [this week] dated 21st and 22nd December 2010, Malaysia will build the cars and Thailand the Pickup in the VW/Suzuki Alliance

Sounds like an od decision for the Germans to work with 2 cultures and 2 languages in Asean, rather than doing it all in one country

Thailand is the world's second largest market for pickups (after USA), so it would make only make sense to build them here.

The news about Malaysia is surprising from the POV that the ministers responsible for these deals drop the ball more often than not, but as a market for low-mid end European passenger cars, it's stronger than Thailand so makes sense on that front. I guess that's why Peugeot teamed up with Naza to assemble the "207" (in quotation fingers because it's actually a 206 sedan), the CC and the RCZ in MY..

• 1 year later...

Just looks like any other sack of sh*t pick up. Unless you use it for business/carrying loads of stuff/move house every week then I honestly cannot see the point in them.

The ride terribly (springs or leaves), need stupidly large odd sized tyres, are as basic as a Lada Samara, have a high centre of gravity which is just plain old dangerous,drink faster than Anthony Worrell Thompson and look ghastly.

Don't get me started on SUVs (Stupid Useless Vehicles).

"pickup that feels like a car"

[media=]

"like driving a massive Golf"

Edited by Trembly