Indian Samosa

Semper

I want to ask the same question but I want to get samosa from a street vendor with a green cart. I do not want to go into any of the many restaurants selling samosa and order it to go because I want it from a green cart street vendor.

I want to ask the same question but I want to get samosa from a street vendor with a green cart. I do not want to go into any of the many restaurants selling samosa and order it to go because I want it from a green cart street vendor.

I have an excellent Samosa vender at the food court in Bor Sang on the way to San Kampaeng. 5 baht each. She also does Roti and Martaba (sp). Only open in the evenings, 5-9 or so, though.

Along Rattawiti Road (UN Irish Pub road) near the first junction is a small place called the kebab house. It sells nice chicken kebabs for 50 baht and freshly made large Indian-style vegetarian samosas for 20 baht for 2. I think meat is an extra 10 baht.

I haven't been there for a long time but it used to be possible to buy small Burmese-style samosas off a stall down soi 1 Changklan Road in front of the mosque but you need to go quite early in the morning. Many of the restaurants along this soi are Muslim so plenty of cheap biriyanis and khao soi available.

Edited by Loaded

Along Rattawiti Road (UN Irish Pub road) near the first junction is a small place called the kebab house. It sells nice chicken kebabs for 50 baht and freshly made large Indian-style vegetarian samosas for 20 baht for 2. I think meat is an extra 10 baht.

I haven't been there for a long time but it used to be possible to buy small Burmese-style samosas off a stall down soi 1 Changklan Road in front of the mosque but you need to go quite early in the morning. Many of the restaurants along this soi are Muslim so plenty of cheap biriyanis and khao soi available.

making me hungry licklips.gif

Hubby loves 'em, usually buying them from one of the hoards of street vendors located on the road on the outside of the south moat in the general area south of the Chiang Mai Gate. He can't remember if the carts are "green". Bill97 -- what do you mean by green cart? Does that refer simply to the color of the cart or the use of "green" environmentally friendly cooking techniques? He reports there is no sign of cooking or food preparation actually being done on the carts. All the samosas at those carts are very similar, leading one to believe they come from some central off-site production point. So far, Hubby has never gotten ill from street vendor samosas.

They have great samosas at Taste from Heaven restaurant on the south side of Thape Rd. Yes, like everything at the restaurant they're vegetarian, but they're more flavorful than the street vendor samosas. Also, they're larger, the crust is flakier and they taste much fresher, because they're cooked to order. Plus, they don't use MSG at Taste from Heaven restaurant.

• 4 weeks later...

Thanks for the 'Heads-up' regarding the Kebab House.

We had a take-a-way last night of two chicken kebabs, several samosas and one potato and one vindaloo curry. All very acceptable.

Anyone know where exactly is the Kebab house on UN Irish pub road. Been there many times no luck. I want samosa too. Thanks

With the moat behind you - drive up the road with U.N. Irish Pub. pass it on your right. When you come to the first set of traffic lights - park. You will see the Kebab House on your left

Anyone know where exactly is the Kebab house on UN Irish pub road. Been there many times no luck. I want samosa too. Thanks

With the moat behind you - drive up the road with U.N. Irish Pub. pass it on your right. When you come to the first set of traffic lights - park. You will see the Kebab House on your left

Thats not right

Go past the UN irish pub past New Dehli (which has real big nice samosas too) then there is a right turn into the beer bar center the kebab place is right on the turning on the left or if you dont turn it its on your right and its a very small place personally they are not so good there New dehli has better but you have to wait for them to be cooked fresh.

Edited by FarangCravings

Thats not right

Go past the UN irish pub past New Dehli (which has real big nice samosas too) then there is a right turn into the beer bar center the kebab place is right on the turning on the left or if you dont turn it its on your right and its a very small place personally they are not so good there New dehli has better but you have to wait for them to be cooked fresh.

I stand corrected. Mea Culpa~

yes new delhi is much better, i had the chicken schwarma and a beer chang from kabob house and it tasted like rubbing alcohol, it was actually like it evaporated into my nasal passages - but at 50 baht it was good value except for the suspect smell that may not happen again, nevertheless im not willing to find out, when new delhi is only a stones throw away.

yes new delhi is much better, i had the chicken schwarma and a beer chang from kabob house and it tasted like rubbing alcohol, it was actually like it evaporated into my nasal passages - but at 50 baht it was good value except for the suspect smell that may not happen again, nevertheless im not willing to find out, when new delhi is only a stones throw away.

I think the price at New delhi is 35 Baht for 2 big samosas freshly cooked and real tasty

...actually i suspected that it could've have been bootleg Chang since there's quite a few bars within the same complex, and someone could stand to make some money just concentrating in that area. I remember catching a stronger buzz than usual that shouldn't have happened while eating and drinking at the same time.

in any case, Chang or the food, something still wasn't right and still represented a threat to my nasal passages, it was literally a gaseous emission it was so strong. Chang is my weapon of choice when i drink and I never got gaffled like that off a bottle of Chang.

Just out of curiosity -

Does anyone else remember a small kebab booth located by the DK Bookshop. They used to sell kebabs, falefel and other various snacks. They seemed to have closed over-night, at a time when there was still many tourists.

Wonder why?

Just out of curiosity -

Does anyone else remember a small kebab booth located by the DK Bookshop. They used to sell kebabs, falefel and other various snacks. They seemed to have closed over-night, at a time when there was still many tourists.

Wonder why?

Not much interest for most of you, but for those who live out my way - Hang Dong

My wife has just returrned with a big bag of mini-samosas from Hang Dong market. Apparently they cost 2 Baht each. It seems the vendor is on-the-right after you turn up the one way street, on the left side of the market, from the main road.One-way-street meaning - going up. Not bad. Any port in a storm!

Just out of curiosity -

Wonder why?

Not much interest for most of you, but for those who live out my way - Hang Dong

My wife has just returrned with a big bag of mini-samosas from Hang Dong market. Apparently they cost 2 Baht each. It seems the vendor is on-the-right after you turn up the one way street, on the left side of the market, from the main road.One-way-street meaning - going up. Not bad. Any port in a storm!

GREAT I am in Hang Dong so have to get the missus to go searching just one clarification once you have turned into the one way is it on the right or left as you turn into the one way street.

You did not say if they were good or not

Just out of curiosity - Does anyone else remember a small kebab booth located by the DK Bookshop. They used to sell kebabs, falefel and other various snacks. They seemed to have closed over-night, at a time when there was still many tourists. Wonder why?
Not much interest for most of you, but for those who live out my way - Hang Dong My wife has just returrned with a big bag of mini-samosas from Hang Dong market. Apparently they cost 2 Baht each. It seems the vendor is on-the-right after you turn up the one way street, on the left side of the market, from the main road.One-way-street meaning - going up. Not bad. Any port in a storm!
GREAT I am in Hang Dong so have to get the missus to go searching just one clarification once you have turned into the one way is it on the right or left as you turn into the one way street. You did not say if they were good or not
'According to the wife (Thai directions!)' Once you turn right off from the main Hang Dong road, the vendor is a little way along the one way street, on the right hand side. The wife brought back vegetable samosas, admittedly they were small, not the usual size, but they were hot and I thought quite a tasty snack. What's that expression -'The only saloon in town'. I would like to go along with her next time to see what other goodies he may be selling. Off-topic but as a by-the-way, a little further along the same street, on the left, is a computer repair shop run by a guy called Eviang (?). He is very competent, works fast and cheap. Above all it saves lugging your hard drive into town. He is also a presenter on Radio Talad Hang Dong, and the studio is next to his shop.

Just out of curiosity - Does anyone else remember a small kebab booth located by the DK Bookshop. They used to sell kebabs, falefel and other various snacks. They seemed to have closed over-night, at a time when there was still many tourists. Wonder why?
Not much interest for most of you, but for those who live out my way - Hang Dong My wife has just returrned with a big bag of mini-samosas from Hang Dong market. Apparently they cost 2 Baht each. It seems the vendor is on-the-right after you turn up the one way street, on the left side of the market, from the main road.One-way-street meaning - going up. Not bad. Any port in a storm!
GREAT I am in Hang Dong so have to get the missus to go searching just one clarification once you have turned into the one way is it on the right or left as you turn into the one way street. You did not say if they were good or not
'According to the wife (Thai directions!)' Once you turn right off from the main Hang Dong road, the vendor is a little way along the one way street, on the right hand side. The wife brought back vegetable samosas, admittedly they were small, not the usual size, but they were hot and I thought quite a tasty snack. What's that expression -'The only saloon in town'. I would like to go along with her next time to see what other goodies he may be selling. Off-topic but as a by-the-way, a little further along the same street, on the left, is a computer repair shop run by a guy called Eviang (?). He is very competent, works fast and cheap. Above all it saves lugging your hard drive into town. He is also a presenter on Radio Talad Hang Dong, and the studio is next to his shop.

CHEERS Gladiator thanks for the info

Wow. So if I happen to need my hard drive serviced while I want a samosa (not necessarily Indian or good) I'll know where to go.

• 2 weeks later...

For the attention of Ferang Cravings and any others that may be interested.

This afternoon we cooked our own samosas.

Bought the frozen pastry from Makro 's- cheap!

We researched Samosa fillings on the web but we did look at other sites to mix and match

http://www.curryhous...tw/jasmine5.htm as our main one.

The cooking of the fillings was easy. We did look at many other websites to mix and match but used many powderd spices but were true to the ingredients - onilion garlic chiliy, potaotoes' peas; chicken etc . It was frustrating but fun as we are enthusiastic, if not adept cooks.

The hard part was the 'Origami' of folding the pastry over the ingredients and cooking in oil at the right temperature.

All in all not bad!