Whats Going On With The Electric

I have wondered for some time now, what dizzying depths of moronic stupidity and blinding incompetence you have to reach before you lose your job as the head of the electricity department in Samui!

The enormous loss in revenue to the government alone, would surely be more than enough to justify sending a team on a course somewhere that would teach them that rainfall/claps of thunder/flashes of lightning does not mean all the lights have to go out!

It doesn't in other places in the World, and they get enough practice at it here for goodness sake!

The cost to people of damaged electrical goods, food in fridges, accidents etc etc. would be enormous if it could be quantified.

For God's sake educate yourselves!

A ride around the island will show you they are in the process of replacing the concrete poles hence the power outages.

It may explain it to you but not to me. Were they replacing the poles at 8.45 ish last night when it started pouring down with rain?

It also does not explain why its been happening when it rains heavily or there's a thunderstorm for the last 27 years to my knowledge!

The power in this area is this bad years ago. Its a shame for the PEA electric company they cant fix this ongoing problem.

I called their number the other day (1129) to report this issue. I was on the line for about 30 minutes with an english speaking person and explain them whats going on, everytime when the rain comes we dont have electricity for several hours and this will increase as we heading to some rainy season.

I dont think it will change anything but if we both call them and tell them, they will investigate and kick their *ss in nathong from the BKK head office.....

My theory is when the rain comes it turns off by some protection or short circuit to the cables touch each other in wind or the rain makes the short cirtuit at the transformator and then we have to wait ages until some half sleepy thai electrican guy come over in slippers on smoky bike to turn the system back on which feeds the electricity to the biggest residental area and where the major shoppingcenters are, the whole ring road affected from chaweng south to bangrak, bophut area........

Nearly 3-5000 homes are affected....

And this ongoing 5 years ago since I living here nobody act nothing in this case, this is the most agonizing and dissapointing issue I ever seen here with the infrastructure. Very bad reputation for the company and it effects so many people's normal life I wouldnt wonder if many people left the area because of this problem.

PS: I'm not a football fan, but I was thinking about how on earth this can be happened. Very bad luck...

Edited by gerazsolt

yes rain and heavy winds cause treas to fall onto electric lines. or heavy signs.

sometimes the people for the electric

company going around cutting treas that have leaves that mighht fall and cut the lines. also acident sometimes K.O the electric polls and light

It sounds people have gotten compty around as not so long ago IN A TROPICAL ISLAND history there was just about total day black outs that went on. At least Maenam is fairly doing. We get something in average of once a month which can last anything between 1-8 hours but then again, it's the price to pay when living in the middle of nowhere...

It sounds people have gotten compty around as not so long ago IN A TROPICAL ISLAND history there was just about total day black outs that went on. At least Maenam is fairly doing. We get something in average of once a month which can last anything between 1-8 hours but then again, it's the price to pay when living in the middle of nowhere...

No power free beaches free sunshine free all the best things on Samui free.

I managed to catch my Landlord this evening, he's one of the managers of the electric company... (another island!) so not always here.

But I asked the question... about that outage the other evening, around 9 pm & it was caused by a car accident.... Car hit pole... ! :) So, power cuts are not always the fault of the Electric Co.

From what I understand (from his broken English) there are 5 power grids here on Samui... perhaps one day, I'll get more info on how it is set up!

Power went out this morning around 75 Shop, Maenam to Bopout, just as I had finished with my Dentist... not sure what caused that.

• 4 weeks later...

These power outages have been going on for years. Always the same old excuses, "car hit pole", "Doing work on infrastructure" etc etc etc. Nothing changes. It's a disgrace and the boss of the power on Samui company should be given the electric chair. hang on.... That won't work!!! It's not 3rd world, it's 4th world here!!!!!

These power outages have been going on for years. Always the same old excuses, "car hit pole", "Doing work on infrastructure" etc etc etc. Nothing changes. It's a disgrace and the boss of the power on Samui company should be given the electric chair. hang on.... That won't work!!! It's not 3rd world, it's 4th world here!!!!!

Agree it is disgraceful but surely it's all made worse by the increasing massive electricity demand from all the the new developments

going up everywhere. I think that the elctricity company must find themselves virtually in a "no win" situation trying to

predict future requirements with all this going on.

It would seem logical that part of the building planning approval process should include electricity/water

supply, but somehow I doubt it.

I had no power for about 18 hours. Lightning struck a big dead tree, dropped on power lines. Dropped 3 poles & damaged a few others.Such is life I suppose.

Agree it is disgraceful but surely it's all made worse by the increasing massive electricity demand from all the the new developments

going up everywhere. I think that the elctricity company must find themselves virtually in a "no win" situation trying to

It would seem logical that part of the building planning approval process should include electricity/water

I think I'm right in saying they laid a new cable supply from the mainland a couple of years ago to cope with the increased demand. Which seems to have worked... IMO it is not the increased demand but the awful state of the infrastructure that flips a contact breaker every time it rains and leaves large areas of Samui without electicity for hours. How long does it take to switch the breaker back on, for heavans sake!:realangry:

Oh and the muppets running the Power Company!!!!!!!

I have wondered for some time now, what dizzying depths of moronic stupidity and blinding incompetence you have to reach before you lose your job as the head of the electricity department in Samui!

The enormous loss in revenue to the government alone, would surely be more than enough to justify sending a team on a course somewhere that would teach them that rainfall/claps of thunder/flashes of lightning does not mean all the lights have to go out!

It doesn't in other places in the World, and they get enough practice at it here for goodness sake!

The cost to people of damaged electrical goods, food in fridges, accidents etc etc. would be enormous if it could be quantified.

you have to be a bit tollerent with samui's infastructure. remember. 1. it is an island. 2. it wasn't ready for the mass influx of people. so to be blunt everything is a mess. just electric lines connect from house to house. new roads that did not exsist before. now handed over to the theesabaan.

On the other hand. Koh Phangyan was un touched while samui was booming. then all the other side of koh Phangyan has been built proper.

i know it is proper annoying but this is just the way it is. i think that if we really wanted to improve the island infastructure we would have to knock down all the elctric lines re dig all the gov. water pipes and re do all the addresses and roads. which would probably mean that samui would have to shut down for 3 months. which is not going to happen. specially with more people coming.

so there is not much choice. they are hower seem to be building a new electric station in Manam. need clarification on that if possible

I had no power for about 18 hours. Lightning struck a big dead tree, dropped on power lines. Dropped 3 poles & damaged a few others.Such is life I suppose.

that was down the ghost road. remember that 1.

it's hardly surprising that samui has power cut problems.

eg I remember sitting upstairs in pizza hut in chaweng and looking out at the adjacent electricity cables running along the beach road - a total mess is an understatement. a very dangerous total mess at that.

It's under investment that has been the problem on Samui for years. Not just the electicity, but the roads, water management, waste disposal etc. While Samui was governed by Suratthani, the pubic funds meant for this island, went into the pockets of Suratthani polititians! I think this is chamging now, but it's going to take a long time to get this island up to scratch!!!!

you have to be a bit tollerent with samui's infastructure. remember. 1. it is an island. 2. it wasn't ready for the mass influx of people. so to be blunt everything is a mess. just electric lines connect from house to house. new roads that did not exsist before. now handed over to the theesabaan.

On the other hand. Koh Phangyan was un touched while samui was booming. then all the other side of koh Phangyan has been built proper.

i know it is proper annoying but this is just the way it is. i think that if we really wanted to improve the island infastructure we would have to knock down all the elctric lines re dig all the gov. water pipes and re do all the addresses and roads. which would probably mean that samui would have to shut down for 3 months. which is not going to happen. specially with more people coming.

so there is not much choice. they are hower seem to be building a new electric station in Manam. need clarification on that if possible

It's under investment that has been the problem on Samui for years. Not just the electicity, but the roads, water management, waste disposal etc. While Samui was governed by Suratthani, the pubic funds meant for this island, went into the pockets of Suratthani polititians! I think this is changing now, but it's going to take a long time to get this island up to scratch!!!!

Edited by screamingeagle

It's under investment that has been the problem on Samui for years. Not just the electicity, but the roads, water management, waste disposal etc. While Samui was governed by Suratthani, the pubic funds meant for this island, went into the pockets of Suratthani polititians! I think this is chamging now, but it's going to take a long time to get this island up to scratch!!!!

It's under investment that has been the problem on Samui for years. Not just the electicity, but the roads, water management, waste disposal etc. While Samui was governed by Suratthani, the pubic funds meant for this island, went into the pockets of Suratthani polititians! I think this is changing now, but it's going to take a long time to get this island up to scratch!!!!

this is true. samui is just on the map as a small ampher in surat thani. problem is that is is over poppulated. which means that it is easy to give donsak a make over becuase there are less people there than in samui because of mass population.

• 2 weeks later...

One thing that really seems to affect the electric supply is the use of Welding machines, there has been two working in my area for a while now, & really sucks the power, basically it means I cannot use the computer from 9 am to 5 pm... as the power fluctuates like crazy.... 200 v to 240 volts, (way more than the usual range of fluctuation) which gets the APCs beeping like crazy...

The brown outs, that many experience is probably due, to many people turning on their AC units at pretty much the same time, but this also happens in western countries, when their is a sudden suck on power.

The other day, four meters went up in flames. A Thai neighbour suggested trowing water on it to put out the flames :blink: I suggested they not try that!!!

To give the power company credit, they had it disconnected, & temporarily rewired within an hour, direct wiring to the houses involved until they replace the meters. The meter reading guy was a bit miffed when he saw that.... I guess he'd not been told!

Since the rains started there has been more power cuts than usual on my Soi, but generally it's not bad... I'll be glad when the welding is done though.

post-85461-007936800 1280453592_thumb.jp

I think I'm right in saying they laid a new cable supply from the mainland a couple of years ago to cope with the increased demand. Which seems to have worked... IMO it is not the increased demand but the awful state of the infrastructure that flips a contact breaker every time it rains and leaves large areas of Samui without electicity for hours. How long does it take to switch the breaker back on, for heavans sake!:realangry:

About 4-5 years back the whole island went down in sections for 10 days while they replaced the main underwater cable and connected it. I recall a report from a spokesman proudly saying that this should now take care of Samui's power demands for the next ten years.

BUT - the demands were based on the power consumption of 5 years ago. With the usual ability to not see past the moment, nobody in the planning office realised that the demands are constantly increasing. Therefore the current supply to Samui is once again insufficient. Just check the brownouts and blip-offs for the next 6 weeks at around 5-6 pm when all the hot showers go on and all the room aircon units ...

R

:( Oh my ! Looks like we are in for a week of strong winds, time to fuel up the generator. The muppets got off to a flying start already today at 8am, with their breaker tripping and then resetting, which is great for your computer and really convenient for those with an auto start generator (make sure you get a manual start on this island otherwise you'll find your gen. firing up 5 tiime a day !)

It hasn't been that bad with all the high winds. A couple of dips. Jinxed myself now.

My location is in between Chaweng Noi and Big Rock and it is a chronic area for blackouts and Samui Cable failure. As I expected, the strong gusts forcasted for Saturday onwards, resulted in two 3 hour blackouts on Saturday and subsequent Cable failure then this evening (Sunday) a bit of breeze with a light shower and wham, total blackout from 5 - 7 pm, then a new breeze at 8 pm and total failure again until God knows when. Geeez my landlord has 40 houses and NO emergency generator ! Either they are too mean or they have confidence in the muppets in charge of Samui's power. Just wish the island's protestors and the mayor would take up this real issue and existing problem on his doorstep, instead of trying to grab media exposure with the offshore drilling, he and his Loonies know nothing about !

:annoyed: Rant finished and now feel better