English Bulldog - Pedigree

English Bulldog with magnificent pedigree is free to a loving home ONLY. This dog has been very expensive and is really the love of my life.Is he difficult? Yes Bulldogs are. Can you handle him? Only if you have had a dog before. Bulldogs are not for experiments.

He is fantastic in the mornings but grumpy at night. He can understand every command you give him as long as it is firm BUT gentle.

Why am I getting rid of him?

It breaks my heart. He bit me tonight because I tried to control him. My Thai partner teases him during the day. I've told him not to but what is the point. I can't be around all the time. I wish I could.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TAKE HIM AND GIVE MY BABY SOME REAL LOVE????

His name is "Gary"

Thanks Please PM me

My Bulldog is the most easy going dog I have ever had. I could not imagine him biting one of us for any reason.

If my wife was teasing him I would bite her myself.

Don't kick your dog out. Sort your partner out and look after your dog.

Edited by onnut

I hate these sorts of threads.

Remember this is Thailand and that Thais are not renowned as being dog lovers, except for the old dogs I see hanging about the Loi Kroh road in Chiang Mai when I visit.

Getting rid of a family dog like that is irresponsible and cruel.

The right thing to do is lay down the law with your partner, who IMO sounds like a complete idiot and a moron.

I have dogs that I consider as a main part of my family. If I caught anyone in my family, wife or children mistreating my dogs, all hel_l would be let loose between me and them, no way would I tolerate that sort of behaviour in my house.

But to be honest I can understand your predicament, you are caught between your loyalties to the partner and your dog, so if this problem persists and cant be settled than it would be kinder to have him put down rather than cast out of the family home. The partner that is, not Gary the bulldog.

The teasing of the dog might very well be an indication of some other issues as well. You might wish to give this situation some additional pondering. Is someone displacing resentment and anger?

At least you are trying to do the decent thing and I am not dumping on you. However, for your own future safety and happiness, think about the root causes of this situation. The results may not be particularly reassuring, but better you deal with ot now then when you wake up with a knife in your gut.

Your own English Bulldog bit you? There must be something terrible wrong. I would reconsider also your relationship with your Partner.

I would never allow anybody to harm my dogs.

I have dogs my whole life and in the moment keep, since some years a group of dogs, big pure breeds (Bullmastiff, Dog de Bordeaux, Rottweiler and a French Bulldog) in Chayaphum in a big garden.

All the dogs are boys, so to keep them with a new boy could be difficult.

But i have a second place in Udon Thani with a fenced garden and there he could stay without a problem.

But, as I said, nobody would dare to harm my dogs, no need to do so. You and/or your partner must have done something wrong with the dog.

A English Bulldog is normally a very nice dog and easy with people.

I am on my way from Phuket to Chayaphum and Udon in the next days with my car. Where are you?

please lets not debate the problem of dog and owner, rather, the owner has a problem and feels that the best place for his pet is with a different owner/s , perhaps people that have more experience with dogs, or have partners that think along the same lines as the owner of the dog and refrain from irritating the dog.. and the OP cannot retrain his partner, nor does he want to choose between dog and partner. i have to add that here, many many many couples rehome their dogs because the partner that they join with is just not a 'dog/cat person'. a legitimate problem.

post up some pics... two of my three were dogs that didnt get along with previous owners but are fine with us; not all people and dogs match....

any any more suggestions of putting partners down, even in jest, will be a csuse for warnings to be issued.

bina

Yes I agree, there's no way we can help if we keep on arguing..unsure.gif

We need to find your dog a place to stay. I'm a dog lover and I don't want your dog to be homeless.

Could you send us some picture of English Bulldog so that people may see him?..

Gary the Bulldog - A very happy ending.

After much deliberation......It suddenly clicked what was wrong with him.

I have to say I was desperate when I made my original post. I really did not know what to do and was totally devastated that I might have to give him away or even euthanise him.

I have had dogs all my life. From Yorkshire Terriers to Dobermans. I have never, ever had a problem like this with a dog.

Gary is not the alpha dog in the house. He is well trained. Just stubborn and slow to respond, which is the breed. Everything happens eventually but at his speed.

Yes I get irritated with my partner teasing him, but some on this forum assumed he was being cruel to him when this never happened. I worried the teasing was the cause. This wasn't the case.

The symptoms: Perfect during the day, aggressive when it started getting dark. Why?

Gary has always been caged. He has a great big cage and always ran to get inside when you said "bed". A few months ago there was a terrible accident at my neighbours house which is enclosed within the boundaries of my property with a shared drive and gate. My neighbour went into cardiac arrest and Gary had to be abruptly pushed into his cage as my partner had to give CPR. The neighbour, sadly, died. A string of events followed for days and at all hours of the day and night - police arriving, monks, relatives, ceremonies etc etc. Everytime he had to be quickly caged.

Gary started being aggressive about a month and a half ago, always after dark. I employed an animal behaviourist (on-line) who suggested he was testing his alpha prescence and suggested loads of NILF training. Which we did and worked perfectly. Didn't stop him biting me though or being aggresive after about 7pm.

4 nights ago I sat outside with Gary thinking. When did this aggression happen? Then I realised. It was always near, inside or next to his cage and always after dark. Maybe he was bracing himself to be suddenly pushed into his cage like we had had to do previously??

That was it - cage removed - Gary to choose where he sleeps.

In 3 days ( even the first night) he has changed into a different dog. He is loving to the extreme. Relaxed, happy and everything he should be. He has also stopped losing hair. He is just perfect. Sleeps exactly where his cage was but on a nice big cushion and no bars.

Thank you so much for your empathy.

I'm just a really happy guy now, with my lovely dog back to normal.

Sometimes it's difficult bringing up a pet. I nearly gave up. I am so glad I didn't! PIC attached of the "BIG BOY"post-9835-011857000 1276882172_thumb.jpg

Edited by Nevo

LOL. No they are not normal, but in a nice way. Gary wets himself if he hears that dragon dance music on the t.v because they came down our street once and the "dragon" put his head over our fence.

She must have been a bloody strong woman, mind. Gary is 27 kilos. Wouldn't fancy dangling him at arms length over a hole to pee!

Edited by Nevo

Thanks Nevo for being such a loving, caring and understanding guardian of Gary.

Your post clearly shows that not all dog behavior problems are 'dominance' based (most of these problems aren't). NILIF can help with modifying certain problem behaviors but it can also cause unnecessary stress to a dog when applied incorrectly or lacks sense with problems such as the one you described with Gary.

You have taken the time to put this dominance/leadership/alpha dog theory aside and looked at what caused your dog's aggression, in what context, when did it start, etc. Once you understood that you could solve the problem fairly easy.

I admire you for that and am very happy for the both of you. End good all good. :)

........ You and/or your partner must have done something wrong with the dog..........

Sorry, but the idea that if a dog bites you it invariably means that you "must have done something wrong with the dog" is simply sentimental rubbish. Some dogs bite for any number of reasons, many of which are not necessarily "your" fault - some are easily frightened, for example, and a simple thing like a clap of thunder or a burst of lightning can set them off and you may just be in the wrong place at the wrong time. It is as unrealistic as putting the blame for any offence , at any age, on the offender's parents - it is seldom that simple.

.......Remember this is Thailand and that Thais are not renowned as being dog lovers ...........

Really? I can't think of any other country, including Britain where the inhabitants are "renowned as being dog lovers", where there are anywhere near so many vets in small animal practice, or where every supermarket has such an extensive section for petfood and pets' accessories.

im going to close this topic (adopting gary the dog) since the OP has let us know that he is keeping his dog, and found a solution to the problem.... before this derails to arguements about dog behavior.

good luck to gary the bulldog....if the OP feels he wants to reopen his topic or search again for a new home for gary then he can do so in the future.

bina