Buying A Bike On A Tourist Visa

hi all, so far ive had some really good advice on these forums, so thought I would ask this question here aswell.

I have been in conversation with 2 bike sellers, one a suzuki bandit and one kawasaki 250 KLX. I'm very tempted to get the KLX but the bandit owner told me in an email, i would need to give him my work permit and proof of residence. Considering I'l only be on a tourist visa I dont see how its possible for me to do that.

Does that mean its not possible for me to have the bike transferred to my name in thailand? god i hope not, that would be a real downer.

It seems a bit odd, I mean you dont need proof of residence to buy a bike in the UK. and the UK is stricter than thailand.

Non-immigrant O visa is good enough, you don't need a work permit. I don't have one, and have a car and a bike registered in my name. If all you have is a visa waiver (the kind that you get when you arrive in Thailand without Visa), then that's probably not good enough.

Proof of residency - give them your rental contract, or let someone make one up for you if you don't have one. Nobody ever checks that, just a paper requirement.

Edited by nikster

The law says you need non imm visa.. In many DMV's they process it no matter what, in the past I have had cars and bikes put in my name on only a visa exempt 30 day stamp.

But its down to the DMV on the day, the person doing it, etc etc.. One of those Thai things where theres rules and applications.

You will however need a proof of residential address, that can be from immigration, your embassy, a work permit or a yeallow house book. Some of those you obviously wont have but you will have to sort one of them.

whats a yeallow house book?

Also if i need a proof of residence adress is that possible if ive only been in thailand a few days. I;d like to get the bike as soon as possible, within a week of being in thailand at least. Is it not possible to do this?

How does the embassy count as proof of adress, or immigration for that matter?

Yellow house book is what you get when you own a house.

Immigration usually give the proof fairly easy.. Simple house rental contract.

But as with so many thing Thai.. Different immigrations do it differently, some demand a long stay visa, some demand to be on a 12 month visa extension, some (Chiang Mai I heard) wont give them at all. Its another one of those 'it depends' Thai situations.

How 'your' embassy issues them would depend on what country you come from. I can tell you how my embassy (UK) issues them (easily you just make a declaration and pay 1500 baht) but I have no idea where your from or what your country embassy would do.

This will probably be solvable.. But its Thailand, expect a run around and to be lightened of baht.

Just changed name in green book today, time 1 hour, immigration 15 min for proof of residence (300Baht). 45 min to do the paperwork for change name in green book also change of colour in book, need receipt from painter, all shops will do it for a small fee, and i only had 6 days left on my 30 days visa, no problem at all, this was Phuket. My girlfriend did the talking and the paperwork.

Just changed name in green book today, time 1 hour, immigration 15 min for proof of residence (300Baht). 45 min to do the paperwork for change name in green book also change of colour in book, need receipt from painter, all shops will do it for a small fee, and i only had 6 days left on my 30 days visa, no problem at all, this was Phuket. My girlfriend did the talking and the paperwork.

same, same

Phuket last week transfered a big bike to my name, touristvisa with 90 day extension pluss confirmed adress from Immigration. Done it approx 25 times in 7 years on 30 days entrystamps or touristvisa. never a question. Prechuap Khirikan, BKK and Phuket.

So am I correct in saying the (I'm UK too) embassy will give me a certificate of residence wherever im staying (hotel/guesthouse etc) or will they only give me one if I'm staying in a rented accomodation.

What do you mean by changing the colour of the book, hdrider?

just to confirm, when I go to immigration or the embassy, its a "yellow book" im to ask for, or is it "proof of residence"?

did you guys not need a work permit then?

thanks

hi g2th, ask your embassy to get a certificate of residence...they should issue this certificate based on your data ( assuming rented place and hotel is also fine- but really depends on your embassy too- mine one did a few years back). I think hdrider meant the transfer from a prior owner to himself into the green Book went very fast and easy...no color change happened.

Forget about the yellow book....you won't get it if you stay here on tourist visa...it is just another form for "stayers" to get the residence address "verified/registered" i have the yellow book, since i am living here, but your embassies letter will do fine. No work permit needed .

happy trails,

Tiger/Sachs Club - Mbox

The only way to be sure is to head off to the land transport department and ask.

That is the only advice you need.

All the other BS, "well, I did it with this, or that or the other" does not count.

It is all up to the relevant land transport department.

I needed a non-immigrant visa and a letter from immigration.

But back to the first sentence; The only way to be sure is to head off to the land transport department and ask.

So am I correct in saying the (I'm UK too) embassy will give me a certificate of residence wherever im staying (hotel/guesthouse etc) or will they only give me one if I'm staying in a rented accomodation.

just to confirm, when I go to immigration or the embassy, its a "yellow book" im to ask for, or is it "proof of residence"?

thanks

Hi goin2thailand,

reading this thread make me feel again that LOS in the country where everything is possible.

I guess that the best thing you have to do is to try to buy the bike with your Tourist visa (as it seems to be possible ), and if it doesn't work, you can still apply for a NON immigrant visa,then request a certificate of residence in Thailand.

BEst regards

Sylvain

The only way to be sure is to head off to the land transport department and ask.

That is the only advice you need.

All the other BS, "well, I did it with this, or that or the other" does not count.

It is all up to the relevant land transport department.

I needed a non-immigrant visa and a letter from immigration.

But back to the first sentence; The only way to be sure is to head off to the land transport department and ask.

Unfortunately, you are correct! :)

thanks

HI

Just try to go to the immigration with "some" house papers, i have never used anything else, never had a problem.

I changed the color of the bike, if you change color it has to be in the green book.

thanks

HI

Just try to go to the immigration with "some" house papers, i have never used anything else, never had a problem.

I changed the color of the bike, if you change color it has to be in the green book.

Well done..

I want to reg a a color change.. But am dreading the mod-i-fy aspect (did they do a bike inspection or just go with the paperwork from the painter ??).

As others are trying to say, this is Thailand, and we can only offer guidelines as each office tend to operate a little differently and your not saying where you come from or where your doing it.

You might get a residence paper from immigration.. If not you probably can get one from your embassy.. Each Land transport office and immigration operates their own rules.

Also I should point out.. You said you were considering a bandit or a KLX250.. Without knowing any more info than only that I would say the bandit has a 50/50 chance of having bent papers (aka a 'grey book') and the KLX, if it s a late model sold from Kwaker, has a 99% chance of being legit.. As a new arrival steer to the legit stuff, it saves a lot of headache.

thanks

HI

Well done..

I want to reg a a color change.. But am dreading the mod-i-fy aspect (did they do a bike inspection or just go with the paperwork from the painter ??).

As others are trying to say, this is Thailand, and we can only offer guidelines as each office tend to operate a little differently and your not saying where you come from or where your doing it.

You might get a residence paper from immigration.. If not you probably can get one from your embassy.. Each Land transport office and immigration operates their own rules.

Also I should point out.. You said you were considering a bandit or a KLX250.. Without knowing any more info than only that I would say the bandit has a 50/50 chance of having bent papers (aka a 'grey book') and the KLX, if it s a late model sold from Kwaker, has a 99% chance of being legit.. As a new arrival steer to the legit stuff, it saves a lot of headache.

Hi

They did not see the bike,,,,yet,, they will see it next week, this one is also modified a LOT so it will be nice to see what they say, i think a bit of tea money will do the trick

thanks

HI

Well done..

Hi

They did not see the bike,,,,yet,, they will see it next week, this one is also modified a LOT so it will be nice to see what they say, i think a bit of tea money will do the trick

Bit of tea money always seems to work.. Annoying but there you go.

I think you know the score enough, but if you have trouble I have the tel of one of the inspectors who can smooth over some haggling.. Of course its only the same people who will haggle you also so not sure how useful it really is. They can come offsite at lunchtime and do the 'inspection' away from the offices tho.

Hi

Thanks a lot LivinLOS

Will see how it goes Monday, they told me they only wanted to see the paint job, i just had it taxed last week but then again i never show them the bike just take copy of frame and engine numbers.

Or just buy and don't register.

As long as you get all the signed forms from the seller, you can still sell it on later using those forms, don't need your name on anything.

unless the seller dies, id card expires, seller changes name, farangs permit to stay or certificate of residence expires, seller goes bankrupsy, no problem:rolleyes:

In the time in between, seller is involved in a crime, similar bike beeing used, and Police come knocking on your door. Please provide 5 witnesses for your wherabout august 02-06 2009. No? Please follow us:jap:

Prefere transfer. Ninja 650R at 1.040 baht.

Or just buy and don't register.

As long as you get all the signed forms from the seller, you can still sell it on later using those forms, don't need your name on anything.

Just terrible advice.. Essentially if your names not in the book you dont own it..

A bike thats not going to transfer name is now worth half of what it would be if it had correct paperwork.

Yellow house book is what you get when you own a house.

Not totally true, i have my name(first in book) on a yellow book and i dont own a house or condo. you can have a yellow book on a thai owned house, the yellow book is for farrangs residing there...no more 500baht proof of residence certificate req`d

You don’t say which province you intend to buy the bike in, but different provinces often have different practices regarding farang ownership of vehicles, despite what “the law” says.

IMHO you need the "same" as Thai people

1. Confirmation of ID = your passport

2. Confirmation of address = letter from immigration, your embassy.

Depending on where you are you may be able to get away with it on a tourist visa & not need a 3 month non immigrant visa. But it's all up to the relevant Land Transport Dept & the motor vehicle rego division office that you are dealing with. They either accept your docs or not; & that is where you should pay your money to the seller, at the vehicle rego office - once the vehicle transfer & rego is approved. Not in advance.

If you're buying new from a bike dealer, they often can sort out the rego & ownership for you.

Not registering the new owner is indeed an option, they sign the bike over & you leave the new owner's details blank.

However when you go to move the bike on later on - after 3 months? - you may need newly signed papers from the previous owner.

I hope this is a help, & cuts through some of the BS.

Not registering the new owner is indeed an option, they sign the bike over & you leave the new owner's details blank.

However when you go to move the bike on later on - after 3 months? - you may need newly signed papers from the previous owner.

Actually they just provide signed but undated papers, you add the date later if you register, or not at all if you sell on.

I did it with a 5000bht m/c ........ hardly a loss if there was a problem, but there wasn't, I gave it to the gf 6 months later and she registered it for her daughter.

Edited by sarahsbloke

Actually they just provide signed but undated papers, you add the date later if you register, or not at all if you sell on.

I did it with a 5000bht m/c ........ hardly a loss if there was a problem, but there wasn't, I gave it to the gf 6 months later and she registered it for her daughter.

But of course totally fails from a farang seller.. As you need a 'current' entry stamp... Once the stamp has expired, they have gone, bike is now locked.

But of course totally fails from a farang seller.. As you need a 'current' entry stamp... Once the stamp has expired, they have gone, bike is now locked.

Totally fails for a thai seller too, if he/she gets a new id card(lost or expired), changes name (marries), dies or whatever I mentioned in an earlier post