1 Year Non Imm. Visa For Non Profit Work

Hi all,

I plan to go to Vientiane soon to apply for a 1 year (i.e. multiple entries) Non Imm. B visa.

The thai foundation (i.e. non-profit) wants me to participate to a project, requiring a few travels around Thailand, (cambodia etc).

As it is only a role of advisor, as volunteer, i.e. not paid (so, no work permit to ask) do you think I should apply for another type of Visa (I heard about a volunteer visa).

I think the organisation should provide me with a letter to explain the reason for this demand (i.e. participate to a project, requiring a few travels around Thailand, (cambodia etc) )

What else do I need to have for getting the visa ?

If I get a 1 year visa, with multiple entries, WIll I need to go every 90 days to the Immigration ? what is it for ? does it mean every 90 days, I need to provide other documents, and it is not sure the visa is renewed or what ?

NB : I will get a new passport this time, and my previous has many Tourist Visa, stamps to Mae Sai (visa exemption) as I currently live in Thailand .

i.e. I don't plan to apply from my home country, unless you think it is recommended ?

Thanks for your help !!

You can get a non-immigrant O visa for volunteer work.

You must get a work permit.

It does not matter if paid or not.

The Thai foundation must apply for you, if they say that not needed they are lying.

Working without work permit has a maximum penalty of 5 years in prison.

Normally just a big fine, deportation and black listing.

“Work” means engaging in work by exerting energy or using

knowledge whether or not in consideration of wages or other benefits

Section 33. Any alien who is working in violation of the Royal Decree issued under section 6 shall be liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding five years or to a fine from two thousand Baht to one hundred thousand Baht or to both.

Source: Alien working act 2008

Edited by PoorSucker

As said, the corect visa for volunteering is the Non-O, but doubtful you will get a multiple non-O anywhere in Asia. Most consulates will only isse a single non-immigrant visa and expect you to to get a 1 year extension of stay from immgration.

It might be handy if you apply first for the work permit and get a WP3 form from labour. First the consulate might require it, secondly you will know for sure that the organisation is willing to support the work permit.

As said, the corect visa for volunteering is the Non-O, but doubtful you will get a multiple non-O anywhere in Asia. Most consulates will only isse a single non-immigrant visa and expect you to to get a 1 year extension of stay from immgration.

It might be handy if you apply first for the work permit and get a WP3 form from labour. First the consulate might require it, secondly you will know for sure that the organisation is willing to support the work permit.

Thanks Mario and PoorSrolleyes.gif !!

I tried to find something more complete about this "O" for volunteer in a official website,

Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand

nothing about it, and in FAQ Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Kingdom of Thailand

they say people need to get non-imm. Visa and WPermit .

So I guess you're right, and I just would like to get more infos...

Is there any link for a Forum in thaivisa about volunteering ?

How can I get more infos about this "O" for volunteering ?

Thanksbiggrin.gif