Rental House In Ko Phangan W/phone Line

looking for a rental property on ko phangan which has a direct phone line so that i can get internet access. if anyone knows of a good place let me know! thanks!

I think just going there and look around is still the best way to find the right property to rent. The surroundings are very important, you don't want to end up in the "wrong" area. Wrong areas can be: Smelly, noisy, to far, no telephone possible, no decent roads, far from shopping (market) etc. etc..

Pictures are a good way of selecting a few candidates but i promise you when you walk around you see 10x more houses for rent available. Most people not offer their place to be advertised by a broker.

My experience is from Samui and HuaHin but i bet it will be the same for Phangan.

A telephone line or adsl can be installed within 2 weeks if your lucky, if not it can take a few months. Again if your lucky a house will already have a line installed, but there will be only a very few.

If you want to move, and you find a good place make internet a part of your rental contract and let the owner do the installing. Just be sure you get to see the telephone bills yourself (and others like electricity and water) to avoid padding of those bills. Unfortunately that happens a lot.

Phone lines depend on if you are getting TOT or TT&T and where you are on the island. Here in Ban Kai, in our area (TT&T), there are no phone lines available period. The exchange box is full and they have no plans to install another. TOT is, from what I have heard, better.

As far as I know ADSL is only available within 4-5k of Thong Sala.

Better to come, check around yourself. Stay at a bungalow first and find what suits you. I wouldn't really recommend any of the websites as their prices seem inflated to me.

Edited by sbk

so sbk... are you saying that the only place i can get internet access is if i live in thong sala? hrmmm. i prefer ban kai. maybe i can find a place with an existing line there. i need the internet because i work from home... i will try to go down there to look soon, but was hoping i could get some leads prior to that. someone suggested sri thanu has lines... any idea where that is?

Phone lines depend on if you are getting TOT or TT&T and where you are on the island. Here in Ban Kai, in our area (TT&T), there are no phone lines available period. The exchange box is full and they have no plans to install another. TOT is, from what I have heard, better.

As far as I know ADSL is only available within 4-5k of Thong Sala.

Better to come, check around yourself. Stay at a bungalow first and find what suits you. I wouldn't really recommend any of the websites as their prices seem inflated to me.

I've been looking as well, and I noticed they did seem really high on the websites, maybe twice as much as I would expect to pay for some places.

What kind of costs would a fairly big place down there cost per month SBK? You must know a few people renting some bargains down there?

No SBK said the only place you can get ADSL is there.. Dial up would work on any place that has a noise free phone line..

Most people who work online cant handle the pain of Thai slow dial up speeds.. We deal with the pain of Thai slow ADSL speeds !!!

You have a 4km radius around Thong Sala for ADSL. Make sure you can get a phone line into the house (or it has one already) before paying rent (TOT is better than TT&T for this). I have a friend who gets ADSL in Ban Tai. Ban Kai is where I am at and no way for ADSL, we already tried and the signal is too weak to reach this far. Just as an FYI TOT has Thong Sala, Ban Tai and Hadrin. TT&T has Ban Kai and Ban Tai. I thought that TOT got the "cities" and TT&T got the rural areas but I can't be sure that is correct. So I am not sure about the other parts of the island.

I would say rents run from 3000 to 8000 with the average being around 5-6. Depends on where you are and how long you rent for as well.

• 4 weeks later...

just an update for people who might be moving there.... it is very very hard to find a house with a phone line to rent on koh phangan. i managed to find 5. the first one (in ban tai) was owned by a crazy thai lady who drastically changed the price on me last minute. the second two were huge old thai style houses with outhouse-style bathrooms and no furniture. there was one yuppified bungalow in wok tum which was getting a phone line, and there is the one i am now living in, whose owner is some kind of angel or something and has strung her phone line to my house for me.

ADSL is available as long as you have an 077-238-X number. you need to call the phone company first and see which ISP handles your line. nearer to thong sala and in ban tai i found it was JI-Net or KSC. closer to ban kai and the road to had rin it is CS LoxInfo. in some areas like thong nai pan you would have to order satellite. there is also a girl with a wireless access point in sri thanu who shares her connection with her 5 little houses on her land, if you rent them.

i can give people info on renting houses there too if they need it, just PM me.

Really? We had techs from the phone company come out and test our signal strength when it first came to the island, our signal was 50 and they said it should have been about 2000. I can't believe they put in a new adsl station just for this area, they won't even put in new phone lines! PM me with the details OK? We pay a bloody fortune for phone calls and it is slower than molasses :o