Sick Fish

mellow1

Yesterday, after getting back home from taking my son to school, the wife and a worker had taken out a bunch of dead fish from one of the tanks. The fish in this particular tank are all juvenile, about 2 months old. Upon examination they all had white spots on them. The best diagnosis which I can come up with, is that its some form of Ich.

I read articles on how to treat it with formalin, and we may go that route. The worker also has a book on fish (in Thai) and it lists a medicine to be used for this. I think it was called DETRAC, or something like that. Either way, I'm going to have her call a vet. who happens to also be our feed supplier to see what he suggests.

They changed out the water of the tank, and isolated it from the rest of the system (51 tanks). I fear this may be too late, because they do a 10% water change daily, by turning on the pumps, and circulating new water throughout the system for 3 or 4 hours. There is therefore a good chance that this scourge has spread. Any positive input would be great.

Hi mellow1

A quick bath in a container of very salty solution works well for white spot. You’ll see the fish squirming in discomfort in the solution so a bath of no more than a minute should do. As a preventative measure, add a little salt to the pond water.

Rgds

Khonwan

Hi mellow1

A quick bath in a container of very salty solution works well for white spot. You’ll see the fish squirming in discomfort in the solution so a bath of no more than a minute should do. As a preventative measure, add a little salt to the pond water.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks, yesterday they gave them the salt. Today my wife called the vet and asked for the proper dosage of Formalin. 40CC/M3 or 1000 liters. The fish seem to be doing fine, and the iritaded areas are coming off, but they are eating and seem happy. Very happy to add , that none of this has spread to other tanks thus far.

As a precation, you should salt all other tanks to kill any free swimmer stage parasites.

Happened to me once in one of my 800 m sq pond, i've 20'000 fingerlings in it and they were 15 days old, between 8-9'' inches. They start dying off and bodies are fill with white spot and lesion, isolated that pond and start treatment, 3 days passed, death count mounted to about 3'000. After some profit and losses calculation, i decided to give up this pond because i fed less than 3 sacks of pellet feed. So i drained 70% water of the pond and pump in new water, this time i diluted 500 gm of Chlorine solution into the flow :D , told myself that either die all... or heal and cure :D . ( i was drinking Lao Khao by the bottle and poured in half of the bottle to the flow too... :)*stress~ )

Next day...collected 10 dead and the rest were....heal !!! Ha ! And very active too ! Don't ask me how? It just happened !

I would never attemp what i've done had i fed them for 2 months, too risky ~ the slightest amount of Chlorine would have kill them. :D

Only one died in the tank, tomorrow we will drain it again and add another dose of formalin. They are doing fine and swimming nicely. All the tanks get sea salt as regular maintenance. Thank you for every one's input. we are getting a few buyers and things are looking up. By the way RBH, the added sunlight has removed most of the unpleasant odor, but we don't have green water yet. Mostly mud brown after a 3 or 4 day since the last water change. but it has helped a lot with getting rid of the stink. Thanks again.

Try experimenting will direct sunlight on 1 tank, without some semi clear panels, 20-30% direct sunlight hits the water at noon max... it takes some times to produce the green stuff, about a week or so.

Try just 1 tank, you will know the different in time.

Edited by RedBullHorn

Try experimenting will direct sunlight on 1 tank, without some semi clear panels, 20-30% direct sunlight hits the water at noon max... it takes some times to produce the green stuff, about a week or so.

Try just 1 tank, you will know the different in time.

Ok, will try that. Thank again.