Septic System For Pigs

For anyone who is looking for an alternative to pond storage/disposal of pig wastes, please find attached a diagramatic description of my stys septic system. I am happy to say, now the septic tank system has been in use a several weeks, it works. If anyone is interested I can supply more detail.

Septic Tank Operating Schematic.pdf

Isaanaussie

This seems quite an expensive way of doing things however once done and it works then welldone.

In our little piggy farm we are taking out all the dry pig poo and leaving some in the sun to dry for fertiliser and the rest as fish food.

I am in Issan and know its not hard to get rid of pig poo fertiliserrolleyes.gif.

Hope this helps for a cheaper alternative.

This seems quite an expensive way of doing things however once done and it works then welldone.

In our little piggy farm we are taking out all the dry pig poo and leaving some in the sun to dry for fertiliser and the rest as fish food.

I am in Issan and know its not hard to get rid of pig poo fertiliserrolleyes.gif.

Hope this helps for a cheaper alternative.

Scully,

Actually cheaper than excavating a pond big enough to handle the quantities. My sty can house over 100 pigs

I'm no environmental trumpeter but there are drawbacks with the fish pond method as a single pond they are in reality quite polluting.

I too want the fertiliser/soil conditioner, but just drying it in the sun seems to be loosing to much nitrogen apart from the fly issues and potentially, smell.

The tanks are to treat black water or water and the excrement in suspension, filters screens in the collection pits prevent solids and straw etc from enter the septic system.

I prefer to dry muck out with a shovel, combining wetted bedding with the urine and soilds which can then go straight into the compost bins, before any wash water is introduced. But show a Thai a hose and a shovel, and you can guess which way they will go. The shovels do not get old quickly. This means more manure ends up in the tanks than I would like.

I suppose it's a matter of personal preference.

How are your pigs fairing?

Isaan

Edited by IsaanAussie

We have already got a pond on the land so we do not need to excavate. I am new to this pig farming lark and by the sounds of it you know what you are doing so you will probably be seeing more posts from me in the future.

We finished the pig sheds two weeks ago and have just got 14 little pigs to fatten up. We are buying pigs each month but this first month we are only getting 14 start the ball rolling.

I just hope it pays off, time will tell:unsure::).

We have already got a pond on the land so we do not need to excavate. I am new to this pig farming lark and by the sounds of it you know what you are doing so you will probably be seeing more posts from me in the future.

We finished the pig sheds two weeks ago and have just got 14 little pigs to fatten up. We are buying pigs each month but this first month we are only getting 14 start the ball rolling.

I just hope it pays off, time will tell:unsure::).

Scully,

Well done your timing is great, 14 finished pigs for sale for New Year and all the associated weddings etc that happen then.

What total herd size are you looking at?

Isaanaussie

Edited by IsaanAussie