Best Intro

the memorable hammond organ intro by The Band's organist for the song that I can't recall the name of. If you guys think a bit you will know which one I mean.

Also the infectious intro for Gimme Some Lovin' by Spencer Davis Group...also featuring hammond organ played by Steve Winwood.

A fantastic instrument - almost worth a thread on its own!

Just remembered "Sunshine of your Love" - Cream.

Not knocking anyone's choice of music here because there are some excellent tunes coming up, but Shine On You Crazy Diamond by Floyd is on a higher plane. Those first few bars of keyboard are simply exquisite, in fact the whole tune is.

Tubular Bells - Mike Oldfield

Judas Iscariot - Rick Wakeman

Although these other two are not strictly rock but have cracking intros.

the memorable hammond organ intro by The Band's organist for the song that I can't recall the name of. If you guys think a bit you will know which one I mean.

Also the infectious intro for Gimme Some Lovin' by Spencer Davis Group...also featuring hammond organ played by Steve Winwood.

A fantastic instrument - almost worth a thread on its own!

Just remembered "Sunshine of your Love" - Cream.

Yes agreed, Sunshine, but I`m gooing to go one up on you, and call the Sunshine of your love from the 1991 One more car, one more rider tour. What a great piece of guitar work.

Slightly :o

Some Clapton Trivia

According to the August 1998 issue of the British rock magazine "Q", Clapton ranks number 10 on the list of the 100 richest rock stars with an estimated fortune of over £75m.

Was a member of The Yardbirds, John Mayall's Bluesbreakers, Cream, Blind Faith, Delaney and Bonnie, Derek and the Dominoes

Played the guitar solo on Beatle George Harrison's "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" creating a precedent. No other outside musician had ever had such a privilege.

Both Harrison and Clapton were respectively married to model Patti Boyd. Wrote hit songs "Layla" and "Wonderful Tonight" about Patti Boyd.

Axes of choice include a Fender Stratocaster and a Gibson Les Paul Standard.

Played guitar along with original 'Bond' guitarist Vic Flick on Michael Kamen's theme for _Licence To Kill (1989)_ . The duo were filmed 'playing' in various London locations for the expected video. However, the producers decided to opt for a song, sung by Gladys Knight, and the Clapton/Flick instrumental has never been released.

Clapton is the only artist to be inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame three times: as a member of The Yardbirds (1992); as a member of Cream (1993); and as a solo performer (2000).

He received the O.B.E. (Officer of the British Empire) in 1995.

Voted the South East's best guitarist in Total Guitar Magazine's poll of the greatest 12 British guitarists. [July 2001]

Wrote the classic song "Layla" about his unrequited love for Patti Boyd-Harrison, who was then married to George Harrison. He eventually married her nine years later.

Stephen Stills asked Clapton to join Crosby, Stills and Nash so that he could help beef up their sound in concert. He refused due to the fact that he was in the middle of forming Blind Faith with Steve Winwood.

Clapton was also on the short list of guitarists to replace Brian Jones in the Rolling Stones.

Played with John Lennon and Yoko Ono's Plastic Ono Band at the Toronto Pop Festival in 1969. Other members included Klaus Voorman on bass and Alan White (later of Yes) on drums.

Quit the Yardbirds after the band decided to do the more pop sounding song "For Your Love", which was a departure from the more traditional blues songs they had been doing.

Cream's hits were "Wrapping Paper", "I Feel Free", "Strange Brew", "Sunshine Of Your Love", "Anyone For Tennis", "Crossroads", "White Room" & "Badge".

In 1969 Eric was in a band with Steve Winwood, Ginger Baker and Rick Grech called Blind Faith who released only one album with their name as the title even though it topped the charts worldwide most notably in the U.K and U.S.

His current backing band involves people like guitarist Andy Fairweather-Low (ex-Amen Corner) (kayo addition: Fairweather Low is ROger Water`s choice for lead guitarist) and bassist Nathan East (Fourplay).

Has owned a string of Ferraris.

Was cured of his heroin addiction through electro-acupuncture; singer Boy George received the same therapy ten years later.

Played guitar on Phil Collins' hit "I Wish It Would Rain Down".(kayo addition: Played guitar on the Phil Collins song "If Leaving Me is Easy" (from the album "Face Value"). Also Played Guitar on Sting`s "It`s Probably Me" featured in the movie Lethal Weapon three or four, not sure. Eric was recovering from Heroin Addiction at the time, son dying, etc... and was smoking a lot in the studio. The sound of his zippo opening can be heard on the recording.)

He was awarded the C.B.E. (Commander of the British Empire) in the 2003 Queen's New Year's Eve Honours List for his services to music.

Gave up his seat on a helicopter bound to Chicago to Stevie Ray Vaughan. The Helicopter crashed soon after take off and Vaughan, along with Clapton's manager, was killed.

Created his own band, Derek and the Dominoes, after the break up of Cream.

Was very good friends with Duane Allman, and they held a great deal of respect for each other. Allman played guitar on the Derek and the Dominos song "Layla."

He was voted the 53rd Greatest Rock 'n' Roll Artist of all time by Rolling Stone.

In May of 2005, reunited with Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce for a Cream reunion concert.

And finally, After posting yesterday money for nothing, I went back to the bar to listen to Money For Nothing by D.S again, and man, oh man... How to build suspense. Excellente.

Kayo

Edited by kayo

Also Played Guitar on Sting`s "It`s Probably Me" featured in the movie Lethal Weapon FOur. Eric was recovering from Heroin Addiction at the time, son dying, etc... and was smoking a lot in the studio.

I didn't know he relapsed. He released the Mtv Unplugged around that time and wrote the song "Tears in Heaven"(about his son) for the RUSH Soundtrack(which was a movie about drug addiction and undercover cops).

He also played Gibson firebirds, Gibson Sgs the one named "The Fool" with psychedelic design, Gibson 335's....and many many strats...."Blackie" and "Brownie' being the most popular.....

Also Played Guitar on Sting`s "It`s Probably Me" featured in the movie Lethal Weapon FOur. Eric was recovering from Heroin Addiction at the time, son dying, etc... and was smoking a lot in the studio.

I didn't know he relapsed. He released the Mtv Unplugged around that time and wrote the song "Tears in Heaven"(about his son) for the RUSH Soundtrack(which was a movie about drug addiction and undercover cops).

He also played Gibson firebirds, Gibson Sgs the one named "The Fool" with psychedelic design, Gibson 335's....and many many strats...."Blackie" and "Brownie' being the most popular.....

I`m sorry, my bad. Sources left unchecked.

He did not in fact relapse.

Another, more accurate biog I just found at Eric Clapton Bio.

Sorry for my indiscretion. :o

PS: Also did music for COlour of Money, Phenomenon, Back to the Future (! Surprise to me) and one of the Bond Movies (already mentioned)

Edited by kayo

Contrary to popular opinion here, I have to pick the following:

1. AC/DC-For those about to rock, we salute you

2. Guns N Roses-Welcome to the jungle

Not the highly used radio picks like most picked on here but better IMO.

Actually these have quite a lot of airplay, but great tracks nonetheless.

Howsabout

ACDC - Touch too Much ( Bon Scott always better than Johnson )

GNR - Don't Cry.

All good

:o

I love driving listening to Welcome to the jungle, calms me down :o

While we have been writing about intros - and all of the intros named in the this thread are great, all worthy of a place in the "Hall of Fame" - it has just dawned on me that no one has mentioned the intro that every rock guitarist worth his salt has learnt - most certainly every guitarist named in this thread has played.

An intro created by one of the founders of this musical genre, whose numbers still to this day can keep the "joint rockin'"

I am, of course, writing about Chuck Berry's intro to Johnny B. Good.

While we have been writing about intros - and all of the intros named in the this thread are great, all worthy of a place in the "Hall of Fame" - it has just dawned on me that no one has mentioned the intro that every rock guitarist worth his salt has learnt - most certainly every guitarist named in this thread has played.

An intro created by one of the founders of this musical genre, whose numbers still to this day can keep the "joint rockin'"

I am, of course, writing about Chuck Berry's intro to Johnny B. Good.

A very very good point.

I also play guitar, and most posts here have tended to be guitar based intro`s, pleasingly :o Although tons of old blues have been missed out . :D

How about other instruments, or vocal intro`s?

For a slow whisky and fags drawl, Summertime by Janis

And, not strictly an intro, but when the drums really kick in on "In the Air TOnight" by PCollins.

And who can not love the spoken intro to "Everybody Needs Somebody". I need you, you, you.

"Black Dog" - Led Zep.

"Anarchy in the UK"- Sex Pistols

"Paranoid" - Black Sabbath

" When the levee breaks" - Led Zep

"Chinatown" - Thin Lizzy

"Teenage Kicks" - Undertones

"Silver Machine"' - Hawkwind

Also a couple of Ruts, Stranglers songs and Stiff little fingers, as someone else said.

Oh, And The Cockney rejects - "Bad Man"

Anyone mention "Money for Nothing" - Dire Straights?

Yep! :o

And finally, After posting yesterday money for nothing, I went back to the bar to listen to Money For Nothing by D.S again, and man, oh man... How to build suspense. Excellente.

Kayo

oK ,

Money for nothing... Dire Straights

Highway to ######......AC/DC

Territorial pissings....Nirvana

Jesus built my hotrod...Ministry