Mag Wheels On Nouvo

oldmajor

Good Evening All,

My girlfriends Nouvo bike is always getting punctures. It is on the spoked wheels. I have lined the inside of the wheel with an old innertube in an attempt to stop this but to no avail. It is still on the factory tyres which may well be crap. I am changing out to a michellin tyre tonight and will give that a go. The next plan is to change to MAG wheels. Question; Is it safe to get these from somewhere like Klong Thom or should I go to the dealer....... and.......are the Mag wheel tyres tubeless?

Thanks a lot

The mags are usually tubeless, I havent seen many that arent, I have the same problem with mine, seems the spokes cause problems, cheap

inner tubes cause problems. I would be very interested to hear how you go and how much it cost.

I have recently purchased a Nouvo MX and am returning it to service.

On the assumption that we are talking about this model (or that it makes no difference for the purposes if this thread, as compared with the "Elegance,"), I will be glad to know if the Michelins improve things.

Also, I am not certain if the price of 6,000 includes 2nd hand wheels, or tyres, or both (though I understand none had been used).

Thanks,

Mag Wheels on the Nouvo MX are not tubeless, at least the ones on my one (Original) are not.

Easyest way to avoid punctures is having enough Air in the tire. If you check the airpressure often and pump the tyres up you will have much less punctures.

1st gen Nouvo, and 2nd gen Nouvo MX did not come with tubeless on mags.

Nouvo Elegance comes with tubelss on Enkei mags. Have 3 of them, oldest 2 years old, never a flat. Also have one Elegance with spokes and tubes, flats now and then as all other small bikes.

Some mags dont have smooth enough surface to not leak with tubeless. The shape of the rim and the valve fit is also different for tubeless.

Mag Wheels on the Nouvo MX are not tubeless, at least the ones on my one (Original) are not.

Easyest way to avoid punctures is having enough Air in the tire. If you check the airpressure often and pump the tyres up you will have much less punctures.

I agree with you there. I try to air up my tires once a week but usually get it done about every two weeks and I've had very little trouble with flats having had just one in over four years. I have a bicycle pump with an integrated air pressure gauge and as far as I know I am one of the very few in this condo with one. In fact, several people including one of our female Thai staff members will borrow my pump occasionally. My theory is if you are consistently running your tires where they should be you have a hard relatively unyielding surface that a lot of flat causing objects will tend to bounce off of but if you have a soft yielding tire due to being low on air pressure you simply don't have the resistance to many flat causing objects.

True enough... When the fella that changed the tyres brought the bike back, I checked the tyre pressure. Only 20 psi. I haven't seen his workshop so I don't know if he has a pressure guage or not. I think that the Thai folks tend to run on softer tyres.

Anybody else notice this?

I agree with you there. I try to air up my tires once a week but usually get it done about every two weeks and I've had very little trouble with flats having had just one in over four years. I have a bicycle pump with an integrated air pressure gauge and as far as I know I am one of the very few in this condo with one. In fact, several people including one of our female Thai staff members will borrow my pump occasionally. My theory is if you are consistently running your tires where they should be you have a hard relatively unyielding surface that a lot of flat causing objects will tend to bounce off of but if you have a soft yielding tire due to being low on air pressure you simply don't have the resistance to many flat causing objects.

Low tyre pressure cause overheating at lower speed.

In adition the tyres for tubes arent as strong as the tubelss, so particles penetrate more easily

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Thanks for the report. I've got two Noveaus now, one a recent Elegance with spokes and the MX with spokes. I too have a pump. However, I have decisions down the road. Problem is that the alloys with tubeless seem to cost more than if purchased with the bike, and I bought both bikes second hand.

Last replacement I had at Yamaha was a Dunlop (with new tube). Good luck so far.