Driving/Motorbike Rental

dotx

This has probably been discussed before, but SEARCH doesn't give me anything useful. If there's another thread about this and you can point me to it, please do. I can't seem to find anything.

In any case, my question is about renting and driving a motorbike in Hua Hin. I don't have a Thai license and while I'm hoping to get one at some point, right now I only have a US one. It's a car license, not a bike one. Given those two things, how safe will I be if I rent a bike to drive in Hua Hin? I lived in Hanoi for a year and there is not a big deal. The police won't even look your way and as long as you drive safely and wear a helmet, nobody cares if you even have a license.

Is this the case in Hua Hin too? Can I rent a bike and simply start driving? The real estate woman that helped me find a house says there's no problem. She doesn't gain anything by lying, but I'm just wondering if maybe she's missinformed? Comments? Ideas?

......" lived in Hanoi for a year and there is not a big deal. The police won't even look your way and as long as you drive safely and wear a helmet, nobody cares if you even have a license."

Same in Hua Hin, but need to include "have an accident".