Ups Tax

james24

Hi guys

I think Im gonna order something from ebay. Its coming from the Usa and it will be the size of a laptop box, maybe slightly smaller. Im ordering from ebay as its cheaper than buying from here. Am I gonna be charged tax on it? Anyone had any experience with UPS and thai tax. Ive heard alot gets through with no tax from the Uk but cant find much info about UPS and Us? I do understand that alot of it is luck of the drawer but if an item is worth 6000 baht new how much should the tax be...?

Cheers

mmm Im doing it through ebay so I guess he'll do what he wants. As its worth about 6000 baht new and to buy it here is 10,000- 12,000 baht new i guess ill be making a saving.... well I hope so :-)

mmm Im doing it through ebay so I guess he'll do what he wants. As its worth about 6000 baht new and to buy it here is 10,000- 12,000 baht new i guess ill be making a saving.... well I hope so :-)

Possibly but depending what it is expect upto 40% import duty + 7% vat..... So still a saving but..

Unless he declares the value on the box as 500 baht :)

Too be honest if its available here at 10,000 by the time u pay shipping here import duty and vat. It's not worth the hassle for that sort of saving. I would just buy it here. only do it if the item is not available here or the saving is in excess of 10k.

Edited by negreanu

To the OP, as others have noted, anything coming via one of the couriers will likely attract the attention of customs.

Depending upon what your goods is expect duty of between 10 and 50% of declared value. Sadly Thai customs has a reputation of being one of the most corrupt organisations and if a customs officer takes a fancy to your item expect a big fee, additionally FedEx (not sure about UPS) charge all sorts of additional fees for 'storage' and other assorted fees.

To the OP, as others have noted, anything coming via one of the couriers will likely attract the attention of customs.

Depending upon what your goods is expect duty of between 10 and 50% of declared value. Sadly Thai customs has a reputation of being one of the most corrupt organisations and if a customs officer takes a fancy to your item expect a big fee, additionally FedEx (not sure about UPS) charge all sorts of additional fees for 'storage' and other assorted fees.

mmm i have heard that, just wondering if it gets stopped by customs, does that mean Ill have to go to Bangkok to pic

k it up anyway...?

Crossy

How about things going out of the country, for example something sold from here through eBay and shipped UPS or FedEx or even Thai Postal...is this also subject to possible examination by Customs as well? (Not to mention outright theft?) This question pertains to collectible silver coins, am I just asking for trouble? Is there any insurance to cover items like these? I know this is a little off-subject, but any information helpful.

mario299

Make sure the sender states the value as less than $100 USD and second hand - normally works for me with FedEx - but having a company account with FedEX seems to cut through a lot of the normal scams