Termites Or Not

catwho

Hi khonwan, and others,we planted 5 rai of cassava 5 weeks ago, after some rain we ferilized and weeded,i noticed a lot of sticks with no leaves yet,..thought it was because of no rain.... while others had sprouted well,when i pulled them out little white termites eating the stem from the ground to the bottom of the stem, i have lost about 1/4 of the field .

the mrs did soak them in some poison before planting.dont know what,Has anyone had this probelm,

i will pullout rotten stems and burn them but how do i protect the new stems i replant,

i asked the mrs how old were the stems [3/4 weeks].

One other thing has anyone had a village meeting [as we did ] to buy a new fertilizer ,plain white bags, with a VERY fine white powdery substance,the mrs brought 10 bags at 350bt each,bagsweighed about 50ks and had to move around. was told it was goverment made fertilizer,

when delivered they had name tags and back braces, the mrs asked where was it from they said chonburi.

she was also told to spread it all over the ground and plants,8 bags this way only did 5 rai,

i did crack when she put on the plant as its not the norm, but after one week ,only the termite stems are dead.

thanks

cat

Unfortunately, not a good sign.

This does not happen unless the land is infested with termites .

The chemical to use is called "furodan" , a pourple powder every farmer knows,

It will not be cost effective for a large area.

Good luck.

I have this year started using Furadan 3G on all my cassava fields at planting. 15kg bag costs me B550. The bag recommends application of 5kg/rai in the case of cassava, which works out at B183/rai. We currently follow our supplier’s advice, applying 3kg/rai, costing B110/rai.

Rgds

Khonwan

I have this year started using Furadan 3G on all my cassava fields at planting. 15kg bag costs me B550. The bag recommends application of 5kg/rai in the case of cassava, which works out at B183/rai. We currently follow our supplier’s advice, applying 3kg/rai, costing B110/rai.

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks khonwan,soidog,i now have the 15k bag, is it too late to put in the ground?and if not, should i wait for rain, before putting it in with the new sticks?and how many liters of water to one kilo furandan.and would i have to spray whole field?

Sorry to ask so many Q,but when i try with the mrs she's either TOO busy,or i get carnt explain in english.

And khonwan that would add another fairly big amount to your overall outlay,another reason to leave the cassava in longer.

THANKS again boys.

cat

Hi catwho

It is not too late to apply it, but, DO NOT spray; no need to await rain. You can simply spread it around the trees at this stage. It is probably better to broadcast it before raising the ridges for your cassava initially. If necessary it can be added again after 3 months. Please read the following:

Furadan 3G is a granular insecticide that effectively kills soil-borne insect pests. Commonly known as Carbofuran, it is recommended as insecticide in cotton that is applied into the soil before planting to control grubs and nematodes. It is also effective in controlling sucking pests such as leafhoppers.

Furadan 3G is highly toxic, causing health hazards when inhaled. It is therefore, advised, that proper handling is observed. Farmers are warned not to apply Furadan 3G granules with their bare hands. Instead, they must use hand gloves to prevent them from direct contact with the chemical.

Spraying Furadan 3G does more harm than good. It is for safety reasons that the chemical was formulated as granule, rather than spray.

http://coda.da.gov.ph/archives/fur3g.php

Rgds

Khonwan

Rgds

Khonwan

Thanks khonwan,soidog,i now have the 15k bag, is it too late to put in the ground?and if not, should i wait for rain, before putting it in with the new sticks?and how many liters of water to one kilo furandan.and would i have to spray whole field?

Sorry to ask so many Q,but when i try with the mrs she's either TOO busy,or i get carnt explain in english.

And khonwan that would add another fairly big amount to your overall outlay,another reason to leave the cassava in longer.

THANKS again boys.

cat

OK, now for real world usage.

In your case, since you need to replace the dead sticks; put about a tablespoon at the base of each dead stick.

Do it now before it rains and plant the new sticks once you have a good rain.

To insure you do not shift the termites from the dead sticks to the healthy ones, you should treat the entire property by putting some powder around the cassava base.

Do the dead ones first.

After a while if the trees are healthy, check the tubers to make sure the termites do not eat them. The trees will not show any symptoms.

Next year before you plant, talk with your neighbors; see if they have similar problems.

Take precautions and sanitize your land. ( not easy )

Best.

Soidog2

What's with "OK, now for real world usage."? Do you have a problem with the advice I gave catwho? If so, please do spit it out.

Catwho: no need to wait until "good rains". If you cut from fresh stock, plant now: we are already in an albeit poor rainy season. Far better to get the roots started before the heavy rains.

Khonwan

• 11 months later...