Broadband Costs Lowered

meadish_sweetball

For you Chiang Mai inner city dwellers...

Been using TRUE cable modem for 8 months and I am generally satisfied with the service. As with other providers, you very rarely get to experience the full bandwidth specified, but regardless of this it is still eons quicker than dialup.

I have been using a 512/256 connection since I signed up. Yesterday received a letter from TRUE saying they will upgrade my connection to double the present maximum speed, and lower the price - 890 baht instead of, as now, 1123 baht. Methinks they have realized TOT ADSL is cheaper than their present alternative, and do not get enough customers.

Just thought this might be of interest to those of you looking for a broadband connection in inner Chiang Mai.

Is 890 baht the total amount that your service will cost you? I'm asking because presently I pay 335 baht for one month unlimited dial up but I have to pay for a phone call for each time I dial up and this comes to about 400 baht per month on the phone bill. Thus my total is about 750 baht and I'm thinking I might as well switch over to the higher speed if the extra charge is only 150 baht per month or thereabouts.

Just checked the letter again.

The actual monthly fee will be 890 baht + 7% VAT = 952 baht.

Also, there is an installation charge, which was 2000 baht when I signed up. Don't know what they charge now.

You can call 053 404 072 or write to cmicenter [(att)] asianet.co.th. Of course replace spaces. weird symbols, and 'att' with an @ sign.

Note that this system only covers inner Chiang Mai (don't know the exact limits - you have to check with them at the phone no or email address below).

You could check out TOT's ADSL as well, they offer similar services at competitive prices.

I like cable though, because the system is separate from the phone lines, which I imagine fail more frequently than this newly installed separate cable system. (I have only been disconnected once, and then it was due to the municipality electricity workers accidentally messing up a circuit box in the moat area. After I notified True it only took them 3 hours to locate and fix the problem. I think that is good going personally.)

But naturally, Internet is far more reliable and cheap in the South. :o

I'd be happy even if I had crappy ADSL. Four months ago, a TOT (Totally Out of Touch) employee told us we'd have ADSL in our mooban within two months. Two weeks ago, another employee has confirmed it, 1 year... :o We live less than 1 km from the industrial park in Chonburi.

I wish they'd spend less energy on advertising and get more people online.

TT&T offers now the same deal in Chiang Mai

About 800 Bahts for 256/512

Free installation, but you have to buy the ADSL router

I have been using it for 2 monts

I am quite satisfied: I was disconnected only once for one night (maintenance)

Does anyone know if TRUE reaches outside the moat area (I've got a house on a soi off Huay Kaew near Chiang Mai University).

Also, what's the situation regarding work permits? Are they asking for one of those? And do their telephone staff speak any English (I speak conversational Thai but not enough to talk about cable connections)

Cheeeeeers!

Fraktalkid

Does anyone know if TRUE reaches outside the moat area (I've got a house on a soi off Huay Kaew near Chiang Mai University).

Also, what's the situation regarding work permits? Are they asking for one of those? And do their telephone staff speak any English (I speak conversational Thai but not enough to talk about cable connections)

Cheeeeeers!

Fraktalkid

They speak English and - yes - they reach outside the moat area.

Hey Guys - Please can we keep our questions posed on the forum to those that are genuinely worthwhile. Questions like these just display a level of laziness as they would be far better answered by the service providers themselves, (in this case, TRUE). Members of TV can never answer specific questions; "Do they supply my Soi?" etc. All we can do is give you the information to say something is available - the rest is up to you.

I got the same letter. Paid 1900 baht per month for a 1024/512 connection that would be reduced to 890 ex. 7% VAT. Was quite surprised by such a huge reduction.

It is easy to get here. No need for work permit etc. just a copy of your passport will do. I got it in two days but it did not work 100% (could only get 512/256) but they did everything to solve this as soon as possible. Within 3-4 days and after renewing some cables it worked fine! Good and reliable service from the TRUE people!

Compared to earlier I-net like modem. folowed by satellite and ADSL this is superb!

Oh and it has nothing to do with your telephone connection, so no extra costs there.

Thanks for replying. I guess I was mainly looking for other people to share their experiences of dealing with this company, not particularly specifics on whether they supply my soi, as I doubt anyone on here lives on my soi.

I'll make contact with TRUE and share my experiences with them to other people on the board.

Sorry my questions aren't genuinely worthwhile *runs and hides in the corner*

:o

They speak English and - yes - they reach outside the moat area.

Hey Guys - Please can we keep our questions posed on the forum to those that are genuinely worthwhile. Questions like these just display a level of laziness as they would be far better answered by the service providers themselves, (in this case, TRUE). Members of TV can never answer specific questions; "Do they supply my Soi?" etc. All we can do is give you the information to say something is available - the rest is up to you.

> Yesterday received a letter from TRUE saying they will upgrade my

> connection to double the present maximum speed, and lower the price

That is AMAZING!! Not so much the price, or the reduction, but a company that cares about and respects existing customers !!!!!

Mostly these type of companies seem to quietly lower prices and hide it into all sorts of 'promotion' schemes while leaving existing (and obviously loyal) customers to pay a higher price. So kudos to True.

This is the very reason I quit AIS for my (and my wife's) phone subscription. Offering new customers a better deal than a loyal customer of many years is just very wrong and I let them know it. Even they offered better and better deals but I told them to learn about r.e.s.p.e.c.t. for their customers. :D

Anyway, I get my ADSL at TOT (very cheap at like 500 baht, very happy with it) and phone at DTAC. (same. :o

Cheers,

Chanchao

> Yesterday received a letter from TRUE saying they will upgrade my

> connection to double the present maximum speed, and lower the price

That is AMAZING!!  Not so much the price, or the reduction, but a company that cares about and respects existing customers !!!!! 

Yep, I was truly amazed too. It's a rare occasion just like you said.

So my compliments to TRUE, I really did appreciate this, and hope other companies will follow your example. Honesty pays.

I have yet to hear of anyone getting ADSL from any provider if they are located more than about km from the providers central station.

Thus, my neighbor and I, located 8km north of superhighway on Mae Rim road can't get it. There have been stories from posters that they live in condos very near Ping River that signed up, paid the subscription and then were told by the installers they were not in a service area.

Same thing happened to my neighbor with TOT, signed up, promised installation date, no one has ever showed.

Mae Rim TOT office has a ADSL promotion sign with a telephone numbr. Called it, we will call you when we can install it, you are in a waiting list. Nice Thai story, no one losses face. Doubt ADSL is available anywhere more than 5 km from central station, at least in Chiang Mai.

Anyone know different, speak up, please!!!

I have ADSL from CM-Net. I am over 3Km from the mail road and I have no idea how far from the central station.

It is not the fastest, but I find the people there exceptionally helpful and willing to go way out of their way to solve any problems that appear.

I would prefer a faster speed, but nobody else will install here. Even so, it is better than Dial up by 10K%!

Is 890 baht the total amount that your service will cost you?  I'm asking because presently I pay 335 baht for one month unlimited dial up but I have to pay for a phone call for each time I dial up and this comes to about 400 baht per month on the phone bill.  Thus my total is about 750 baht and I'm thinking I might as well switch over to the higher speed if the extra charge is only 150 baht per month or thereabouts.

You have got the wrong end of the stick.

Meadish is talking about an ADSL service which is "always on".

There is no connection charge.

Conenction charges are for dial up services which are a very different kettle of fish,

and very much slower.

Edited by astral

Is 890 baht the total amount that your service will cost you?  I'm asking because presently I pay 335 baht for one month unlimited dial up but I have to pay for a phone call for each time I dial up and this comes to about 400 baht per month on the phone bill.  Thus my total is about 750 baht and I'm thinking I might as well switch over to the higher speed if the extra charge is only 150 baht per month or thereabouts.

You have got the wrong end of the stick.

Meadish is talking about an ADSL service which is "always on".

There is no connection charge.

Conenction charges are for dial up services which are a very different kettle of fish,

and very much slower.

Hi everyone, well after reading all of what been said on the topic, I called TRUE. Seems like they are going to offering ADSL sometime starting next month. Ie in August 2005, and the lines should be provided by TT&T. So for those of you who have existing phone lines with TOT, this might not work. Right now they do offer Cable services which we were talking about.

Appox prices for ADSL would be in the range of what they are currently charging for Cable at 512k. The coverage area for ADSL shall extend to greater CM and not restricted to just the moat area.

Rather than identifying Thailand as the "land of smiles", I call it the "land of announcements". Believe it when it happens. I have tried to get a TT&T telephone line for three years, no luck. TOT finally came through this week at the regular price, no 15K fee to the developer for a line like so many have paid or smart enough to make it a condition of purchase.

TOT offers ADSL as well and I am on a waiting list, presumably when it is my "turn", I will get it. My guess is it is not presently extended outside the 5 km zone and unless they build more infrastructure, ie switching stations outside the 5 km zone, it won't happen.