Focus On Thaksin's Associates

webfact

Interesting indeed to get more information on what money exists and where it came from, although we need to be sure that what we learn is not filtered too much by the powers that be. When I've talked to red shirt sympathizers about this issue (and I admit my contacts are not near the top of the tree), they tend to make two points.

The first is that the money used to support the rally came from quite a variety of sources, supportive either of Thaksin or the cause more generally. Most money did not come directly from Thaksin's own accounts but included donations from powerful individuals and organisations in Thailand (no, I can't verify this or say which ones). If that is true it does not suggest blind support, but calculations of future interest and, in some cases, attempts to position such organisations or individuals favourably in a post-Thaksin era. Obviously if that happened the calculations backfired. This scenario runs counter to the 'just one man' theory attractive to many TV posters. The empirical test will be whether there is a money trail all the way back to Thaksin's accounts or if a big proportion indeed seems to come from other sources.

The second point made is that the notion that all the protestors were on a daily 'wage' involves a vast exaggeration. It seems that some were paid, but generally the money went on fuel, supplies and subsistence, and the red account would be that very many protested out of conviction. It's hard to know just where the evidence to verify the truth or falsity of this claim would come from. Some TV posters, for instance, have conveniently forgotten that the much-trumpeted Udon Thani video of reds queueing to get paid, turned out on examination and translation to be about payng drivers the cost of taking vehicles transporting protestors to Bangkok, and also showed the organisers soliciting donations from people who could not go themselves.

As stated, I don't know where the truth lies and hope to see harder evidence than is presently available.

What good is evidence? Sondhi is still free.

You forgot to say the sun shines, just as relevant I think :)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It will be interesting how the big money is declared for tax purposes. There are not many ways to get 10M tax free into your control, and if you have no documented business expense for its disbursement, it could come as a shock to the conduits that they have a potentially large tax bill for receiving and disbursing the funds. 1 in, 1 out does not equate if there are no records to back up what the out was for, and it is all treated as income, and thus taxable.

It will be interesting how the big money is declared for tax purposes. There are not many ways to get 10M tax free into your control, and if you have no documented business expense for its disbursement, it could come as a shock to the conduits that they have a potentially large tax bill for receiving and disbursing the funds. 1 in, 1 out does not equate if there are no records to back up what the out was for, and it is all treated as income, and thus taxable.

Agree. Interesting is also that banks are supposed to report transaction above a certain amount (sorry, don't know how high). This is done in many countries and more and more enforced with every new terrorist / criminal act. Of course companies need to be able to explain their cash-flow to shareholdes, SEC and tax authorities. None of the invited for next week's DSI session will have a problem with this, surely :)

Taken from Kom Chad Luek newspaper, June 18th, 2010

Take the transactions of Thaksin’s two children as a simple example. The daughter, Pinthongta, put just about one billion baht into her bank account and took out 6.63 billion baht on April 28th. Considering her young age, how could she have had so much money? And even if she might claim to have gotten it from her parents, the same question will be asked again – “Where did the money come from?”

Meanwhile, the son Panthongtae deposited 16 million baht and withdrew 4.2 billion baht.

Another person being scrutinized by the authorities for dubious financial transactions is Bannapoj Damapong, an elder brother of Thaksin’s divorced wife Pojaman. He reportedly had 5.4 billion baht moved from his bank account and made a deposit of 290 million baht.

Whether it was a coincidence or not, all these transactions, according to AMLO, occurred on the same day – April 28th.

Thai-ASEAN News Network

Adding to the substance that banks are used to giving out large sums of cash reminds me of when I bought a pickup some years back. I did a single large visa transaction for the new pickup and the bank staff counted out the cash without any comment or surprise. I was probably the most surprised that they thought this normal. In most western countries you cannot draw even reasonable amounts of cash; everything has to be done by electronic transfers or cheques. There is a very good reason for this: money laundering and crime. The Thais should implement something like this; there is no reason in this modern day and age to request large amounts of cash from your bank and anyone doing this is probably committing some crime where they wish to hide the audit trail.

I would like to see an investigation into the people who sponsored the 2006 coup.

The 2006 coup was a treason offense under the 1997 constitution, and they threw that "Peoples Constitution" into the bin. Who sponsered the coup ? Who paid the money to make it happen ?

Why has this never been investigated ?

The main leader of the coup who is on record as saying he never wanted to be in politics or government (and of course he is now in the coalition with Abhisit) should have been investigated and now that he has benefited from the coup being in government its just disgusting in my view.

There needs to be a serious investigation into who funded the coup, and also who funded the Yellow shirts.

Along with this an investigation into the funding of the red shirts.

Then full public release of all details of who funded the coup, who funded the Yellow shirts and who funded the Red shirts. Full fair and proper, not one section singled out and no double standards.

I would like to see an investigation into the people who sponsored the 2006 coup.

The 2006 coup was a treason offense under the 1997 constitution, and they threw that "Peoples Constitution" into the bin. Who sponsered the coup ? Who paid the money to make it happen ?

The main leader of the coup who is on record as saying he never wanted to be in politics or government (and of course he is now in the coalition with Abhisit) should have been investigated and now that he has benefited from the coup being in government its just disgusting in my view.

There needs to be a serious investigation into who funded the coup, and also who funded the Yellow shirts.

Then full public release of all details of who funded the coup, who funded the Yellow shirts and who funded the Red shirts. Full fair and proper, not one section singled out and no double standards.

Easy answer: The military were funded by the government in place (i.e. yearly budget has reserves for unexpected games). The yellow shirts are mostly reasonably well-to-do middle-class, no sponsor needed.

Now the UDD leaders all seem to be millionairs, fighters for the poor, downtrodden and probably sponsor their supporters (like paid-for trip to BKK including accommodation).

This should be very interesting - to follow the money and hear the endless blabbering of excuses from those involved.

"So what if I made 10.5 million last year while not having a job, you gotta problem with that?"

After Apartheid ended in South Africa, they had their Truth and Reconciliation Hearings. Over in Thailand, it will be the Truth and Soggy Excuses Hearings - if the culprits show up. Most will avoid summonses and/or simply split overseas.

In one case, Karnjanapha Honghern, a secretary to Pojaman na Pombejra, and Ekaraj Changlao, a former teacher from Khon Kaen, allegedly withdrew Bt600 million and put the whole amount in a truck. The whereabouts of that money remain unknown.

I can hear her now; "600 million baht - What's the big deal? I needed some ballast for my pick-up truck for better traction. I needed to air out some other peoples' money, it was getting a bit moldy. Serves the Thai government right for not printing anything larger than those pesky 1,000 baht notes - if they printed ten million baht notes, then I could have fit them in my wallet and there wouldn't be this annoying problem."

No banks will stock 600 million in cash. Get the CCTV tape as proof.

Of course they will 600 million is a tiny amount , especially if they gave advance notice of the intention to widraw, . Why do you need CCTV?? The banks will have electronic records of the transactions and no doubt the obligatory photocopy of the ID card for the person withdrawing the amount??

a litttle bit more, between Bt700 million and Bt800 million baht thailand has spend on the GT200 device

this website ask itself the question How Much is Inside a Million Dollars? just to get the picture what kind of bag you would need to carry one million in cash in bills to 100.

Thailand has notes to 1000 Baht, so that would be 10 million in one suitcase. 600 millions would be 60 of such suitcases.

million08.jpgmillion13.jpg

remember some old rumours that spoke of 58 suitcases and 56 bags Thaksin took with him in two separate flights out of the country, shortly before the coup?

nothing special it seems, nowadays just the secretary of his ex-wife, withdraw an amount of cash that fits in 60 suitcases and puts it on a truck. only one case of many.

million17.jpg

the stack of their paper bills was 1 meter tall. lets assume with Thai Baht notes it would be similar in high, 600 millions would reach a height of 60 meters. that feels like:

600000000 baht, enough money to pay 50000 people 200 baht each day for 60 days.

or 500 baht to one-million-and-two-hundred-thousand people for one day.

Well they never did reach the 1 million man march they were aiming for. How long would this cash keep 5000 malcontents on the streets for? Oh of course, 600 days by your reckoning. Maybe we got off lightly. Mind you, once the gougers at the top had their pound of flesh, probably not enough left to keep a Bangkok motor-psych driver in Lao Kao for more than about a week.

They did. They discovered a self interested corrupt poilitician who needed removed immediately. They saw how he twisted laws to help himself, conceal funds, cheat his business partner..the list goes on. He's history. Accept it.

That's not a pile of cash, it's a small mountain.

Where does all that money go.

Can anyone adequately produce reciepts that follow a chain both before and after,

and through the NEXT location after it. If there are no buildings built with deposits and receipts,

AND supplies bought ON SITE, No companies making capital purchases with on the books reciepts,

etc etc, then this can EASILY be seen legally as money laundering, drug proceeds or rally financing.

If the final resting place is people who were publicly calling for the burning of Bangkok for weeks or months,

followed by Bangkok being burned, this is a smoking gun.

Regardless of how huge the black ecconomy of Thailand is, this is beyond the scope of being hidden indefinitly.

Some white collar, pressed and stuffed shirt HiSo <deleted> is gonna NOT want to spend 15 years in stir and will talk.

As the movie said: Follow the money. And it's easier and faster today, because it's electronic.

Edited by animatic

A question.......the government are freezing your accounts trying to sieze your assets.......do you leave it in there......or spread a back up amount around among your trusted family, friends, and companies? May have nothing to do with the demonstration

Just a thought

A question.......the government are freezing your accounts trying to sieze your assets.......do you leave it in there......or spread a back up amount around among your trusted family, friends, and companies? May have nothing to do with the demonstration

Just a thought

Exactly, in a normal country without the army/elite running it through a puppet government you are "innocent until proven guilty".

Its your money, what you do with it is up to you, it is up to the accusers to "prove" and not just make accusations and imply opinions.

However, Thailand is now a country that has had its constitution thrown into the bin by the army and then the army imposed their own constitution. It is a country where the Democrat political party has LOST every election for over a decade and has no support from the people and yet they are in power by means of a coup, army and judicial.

It is a country where innocent civilians have been shot dead by soldiers.

It is a county where people in the south (Democrat heartland) can murder teachers, behead people, set off bombs and never be called terrorists, BUT also a country where many red shirts are called terrorists with NO PROOF against them, held with no formal charges against them and without bail.

There has been no focus on who paid for the coup, lots of baht was gifted to pay for support, but never an inquest into who paid it.

There has never been a focus on the PAD/Yellow shirts and who paid for all their rallies, everybody knows who paid but never an inquest.

The questions now should not be about who paid what, the questions should be about why a party that is detested by the people, who have lost election after election for over a decade is now put into power by the abuses of the military and the courts.

Just a thought

Exactly, in a normal country without the army/elite running it through a puppet government you are "innocent until proven guilty".

Its your money, what you do with it is up to you, it is up to the accusers to "prove" and not just make accusations and imply opinions.

However, Thailand is now a country that has had its constitution thrown into the bin by the army and then the army imposed their own constitution. It is a country where the Democrat political party has LOST every election for over a decade and has no support from the people and yet they are in power by means of a coup, army and judicial.

It is a country where innocent civilians have been shot dead by soldiers.

It is a county where people in the south (Democrat heartland) can murder teachers, behead people, set off bombs and never be called terrorists, BUT also a country where many red shirts are called terrorists with NO PROOF against them, held with no formal charges against them and without bail.

There has been no focus on who paid for the coup, lots of baht was gifted to pay for support, but never an inquest into who paid it.

There has never been a focus on the PAD/Yellow shirts and who paid for all their rallies, everybody knows who paid but never an inquest.

The questions now should not be about who paid what, the questions should be about why a party that is detested by the people, who have lost election after election for over a decade is now put into power by the abuses of the military and the courts.

Thaksin threw the constitution into the bin...and trod all over it with his money making schemes. And if you took out all the bribes paid by him and his compatriots, he probably would have not won his previous elections. Same, same?

I also seem to remember Thaksin killing quite a few people in his "war" on drugs. Same, Same?

Plenty of proof of the reds misdeeds. A lot on video. And being held legally. Luckily. That knuckle head yesterday asking followers to block vans heading to the prison. Stupid.

Who cares who paid for the yellow rallies? They didn't burn down buildings and kill soldiers!

Any way, reds vs. yellows. It is basically which rich group will be able to get richer after they get elected. Same, same...the leaders of both groups are elites. Proof was show by their bank accounts!

I would like to see an investigation into the people who sponsored the 2006 coup. The 2006 coup was a treason offense under the 1997 constitution, and they threw that "Peoples Constitution" into the bin. Who sponsered the coup ? Who paid the money to make it happen ? Then full public release of all details of who funded the coup, who funded the Yellow shirts and who funded the Red shirts. Full fair and proper, not one section singled out and no double standards.

The coup happened nearly four years ago. It's mostly water under the bridge. You may want to see detailed investigations of the money flows for the previous 17 coups also, that's your prerogative.

The 4 yr old coup was bloodless. Not a shot was fired. The Thai people must have been behind it, or it wouldn't have been so seamless and easy. Where were Thaksin supporters during the coup, and why didn't they make any fuss? Answer: they didn't really care, and plus, no one told them to make a fuss at the time, so they didn't know what to do without being told (and paid). 3.5 years later, they were told to be indignant, and were promised big bucks to make a fuss, so they did as they were told and were paid accordingly. ....or at least the leaders (of the Reds) were paid, whereas whether the peons on the sidewalks were paid what they were promised is debatable.

There's an interesting chart in The Nation which shows on April 28, one week after the first fracas in downtown Bkk, 11.33 billion baht was withdrawn from Thai bank accounts by three members of the Shinawatra family. Was that pocket change to go buy some designer bags? (oh, that couldn't be, because the designer shops were closed in downtown Bkk). No, that money was channeled to Red Shirt leaders in order to try and create as much havoc in Bkk as possible, ....in order to debilitate the Abhisit gov't and pave the way for T to return to power.

Interesting that the current gov't waited until after the riots to divulge the details of the funding. Surely, they had evidence during the rallies. It's rather like secretly filming a big drug deal in progress, but not busting the culprits until the deal is done. I like the dynamics of it. Too bad such a gargantuan amount of legal peoples' hours and paperwork and expertise have to be devoted to this mess - but that's the Thaksin legacy: always leaving giant messes for others to sort out and clean up. Thaksin and his ilk are like a slow herd of stegasaurus ambling through a park, leaving 2 meter high stacks of manure everywhere they go.

I would like to see an investigation into the people who sponsored the 2006 coup. The 2006 coup was a treason offense under the 1997 constitution, and they threw that "Peoples Constitution" into the bin. Who sponsered the coup ? Who paid the money to make it happen ? Then full public release of all details of who funded the coup, who funded the Yellow shirts and who funded the Red shirts. Full fair and proper, not one section singled out and no double standards.

The coup happened nearly four years ago. It's mostly water under the bridge. You may want to see detailed investigations of the money flows for the previous 17 coups also, that's your prerogative.

The 4 yr old coup was bloodless. Not a shot was fired. The Thai people must have been behind it, or it wouldn't have been so seamless and easy. Where were Thaksin supporters during the coup, and why didn't they make any fuss? Answer: they didn't really care, and plus, no one told them to make a fuss at the time, so they didn't know what to do without being told (and paid). 3.5 years later, they were told to be indignant, and were promised big bucks to make a fuss, so they did as they were told and were paid accordingly. ....or at least the leaders (of the Reds) were paid, whereas whether the peons on the sidewalks were paid what they were promised is debatable.

There's an interesting chart in The Nation which shows on April 28, one week after the first fracas in downtown Bkk, 11.33 billion baht was withdrawn from Thai bank accounts by three members of the Shinawatra family. Was that pocket change to go buy some designer bags? (oh, that couldn't be, because the designer shops were closed in downtown Bkk). No, that money was channeled to Red Shirt leaders in order to try and create as much havoc in Bkk as possible, ....in order to debilitate the Abhisit gov't and pave the way for T to return to power.

Interesting that the current gov't waited until after the riots to divulge the details of the funding. Surely, they had evidence during the rallies. It's rather like secretly filming a big drug deal in progress, but not busting the culprits until the deal is done. I like the dynamics of it. Too bad such a gargantuan amount of legal peoples' hours and paperwork and expertise have to be devoted to this mess - but that's the Thaksin legacy: always leaving giant messes for others to sort out and clean up. Thaksin and his ilk are like a slow herd of stegasaurus ambling through a park, leaving 2 meter high stacks of manure everywhere they go.

As always - Brahms is correct.

The coup was funded, obviously, from military and probably some other government budgets, except for the purchase of large amounts of flowers and ribbons.

There is the possibility that the purchase of so many flowers and ribbons may have come from some secret funds, that perhaps deserves investigation.

"Sonthi Secretly Funds Flowers For Coup" :)

Edited by rabo

For those who might say, "people are allowed to withdraw money - to do with what they please....."

For the most part, sure. But there are parameters to everything (except maybe love). If I were to go to my Thai bank and withdraw 11.33 billion baht (granted, that's about 11.3299999 more than I have in there, but I'm trying to make a point here) ....and used that money to make as big of a mess in Bkk as possible, I think I'd be stretching the envelope of what I'm allowed to do with my own money.

It's appreciated that the banks in Thailand are cooperating with authorities on this. In any of the offshore accounts where the Shinawatres hide money, there wouldn't be any of that sort of cooperation.

Those darn Democrats.

First, we're told in another thread,

the Democrats, nobody likes them apart from the Bangkok middle class

then, here, we learn,

It is a county where people in the south (Democrat heartland)

Seems it's hard to pin down just where they are.

Those darn Democrats.

First, we're told in another thread,

then, here, we learn,

It is a county where people in the south (Democrat heartland)

Seems it's hard to pin down just where they are.

And if those darned Democrats had nearly 50% of the popular vote and were able to form a ruling coaltion, then, according to LevelHead

.....the Bkk middle class not only vote as a block, but they comprise nearly 50% of the electorate. Methinks LevelHead skipped class the day they studied political science.

The coup was funded, obviously, from military and probably some other government budgets, except for the purchase of large amounts of flowers and ribbons.

There is the possibility that the purchase of so many flowers and ribbons may have come from some secret funds, that perhaps deserves investigation.

"Sonthi Secretly Funds Flowers For Coup" :D

I think a national committee needs to be established to investigate this flower purchase! :)

I think a national committee needs to be established to investigate this flower purchase! :)

The coup was part funded by the leaders of the Yellow shirts, the ones who paid for the coup in 2006, the ones who paid for the protests in 2006 and in 2008, the ones who allowed the terrorists to shut down the international airport.

The real leaders of the Yellow shirts are never seen, they remain hidden from the media as the media is not allowed to comment on who they are.

There is plenty of detail in the media of who paid for the 2006 coup, its all banned in Thailand of course, but outside Thailand its very easy to know who paid for what.

The coup was part funded by the leaders of the Yellow shirts, the ones who paid for the coup in 2006, the ones who paid for the protests in 2006 and in 2008, the ones who allowed the terrorists to shut down the international airport.

The real leaders of the Yellow shirts are never seen, they remain hidden from the media as the media is not allowed to comment on who they are.

There is plenty of detail in the media of who paid for the 2006 coup, its all banned in Thailand of course, but outside Thailand its very easy to know who paid for what.

Can you please explain how yellow (or any color) shirt leaders can pay for Tank and APC fuel, army salaries, or other military expenses to implement a coup?

"Secret Yellow Shirt Transfers into Military Budgets" Needs another investigation.

For sure, yellow shirt leaders would have helped fund yellow shirt activities.

rabo, they simply pay hundreds of millions of baht into the bank accounts of certain top army generals.

He (or she) who controls the top generals controls the power. The army does what the top dogs say. Foot soldiers follow orders.

Do some research into it, but do it outside of Thailand where there is freedom of the media.

The coup was part funded by the leaders of the Yellow shirts, the ones who paid for the coup in 2006, the ones who paid for the protests in 2006 and in 2008, the ones who allowed the terrorists to shut down the international airport.[

Smells like an absolute crock of. Is this the level you guys have come to now?

Hard evidence please.

For those who might say, "people are allowed to withdraw money - to do with what they please....."

For the most part, sure. But there are parameters to everything (except maybe love). If I were to go to my Thai bank and withdraw 11.33 billion baht (granted, that's about 11.3299999 more than I have in there, but I'm trying to make a point here) ....and used that money to make as big of a mess in Bkk as possible, I think I'd be stretching the envelope of what I'm allowed to do with my own money.

It's appreciated that the banks in Thailand are cooperating with authorities on this. In any of the offshore accounts where the Shinawatres hide money, there wouldn't be any of that sort of cooperation.

Great educational post

If you give your friend 5 dollars and he goes out and smashes a shop window - in your eyes the giver of the 5 dollars carries a share of the blame!!

If a bank cooperates it means something more than they are disclosing movements of funds - don't all banks move funds? or is there a particular bank in Thailand where if you move funds you are guilty of some crime?

If you give your friend 5 dollars and he goes out and smashes a shop window - in your eyes the giver of the 5 dollars carries a share of the blame!!

If that's what you were paying him to do, then yes.

473, what about if you give an assasin 1 million dollars to shoot someone? Would you be guilty?