Best Way Of Transferring Money - No Bank A/C

Chopper71

Hi,

I am slightly buggered at the moment as I have not been paid for a job so I need for money to be transferred to me urgently. I know that Western Union is expensive, my question is even though I do not have a Thai bank account, is it possible to get a transfer made that I can collect at a pre arranged branch.

Otherwise, how expensive is Western Union if a friend who is down in Koh Phangnan visits a branch there and puts some money in for me? Is it cheaper than transfers done from overseas? Or are there any other ways of transferring money within Thailand. Sorry, I should be googling this but am stressed to the max at the mo.

Many thanks

Get a trusted friend to help you - get the money transferred to their account and then get them to draw it from the ATM and give it to you.

Otherwise your buggered, you need Western Union etc.

Last option, can you try to get a bank account opened here, some banks/branches don't require a work permit to open an account, might be worth trying a few of the banks and seeing if you can get an account opened.

The best and cheapest option would be to open a local bank account and have your friend transfer money or deposit the money using the cash deposit machines into your account or at a branch, either way you will get the money instantly to your account. Is there a problem with opening an account, what kind of visa do you have?

Martin

The Bank account sounds like the best thing. I did not know that it only requires 500 baht or I would have done it a long time ago. I'll be in Thailand more now so I planned to do it when I arrive again.

WU has a bad exchange rate. MoneyGram is better for the exchange rate, at least by a little, and also a bit cheaper fees.