Ed Visa + Work Permit

Good Day All

I have a 21 y/o son, he is here on an Ed Visa going to shool for Hotel and Restaurant Management, he would like to get a part-time job or even full time while he is on school breaks and after school, in his educational discipline. Is this permitted when you have an Ed Visa?

Thank You

C

Your 21 years old son (currently hold Non-Immigrant “ED” Visa) who wish to undertake either a part time job or a full time (during semester break) or even after school. To be legally and eligible to work in any of the condition aforementioned, he would require to have a work permit. According to the Labor Department, a work permit shall be given to an applicant who has a Non-Immigrant “B” Visa or Non-Immigrant “O” (Based on Supporting to a Thai Citizen [i.e. marry to a Thai citizen]).

In order for him to be able to apply for his work permit apart from being supported (employ)by a company (his employer), he would have to change his visa category from Non-Immigrant “ED” Visa to a Non-Immigrant “B” Visa.

By the way, several years ago you could get a work permit with a ED visa but times change.

[sunbelt][/sunbelt]

• 2 months later...

WOW, I am very sorry I missed this post. Thank you for replying and sorry it has taken so long to get back to you.

The way I read this, my son can only get a Non-B visa, I am married to a Thai and have 3 other sons with my Thai wife, but I assume that my son cannot get an O-Visa because he is not married and is over 20 y/o, is that correct?

Can a ED visa and Work Permit be allowed?

Thank you

C