Fridge Problems

wilson steer

Credit for this goes to another poster on this board - El D.

Buy a commercial drinks cooler as in a bar - glass front, lock on door.

Keeps all your bottles, cans (wine, beer, softies) at a nice cool temperature and looks good too!

• 1 year later...

OK I have a serious question back on topic.

Is it normal to have to defrost the fridge every 2-3 weeks in Thailand, all seals seem to be OK but I leave it any longer without defrost I won't be able to get anything into the freezer/Icebox area because of ice build up.

Is it normal to have to defrost the fridge every 2-3 weeks in Thailand, all seals seem to be OK but I leave it any longer without defrost I won't be able to get anything into the freezer/Icebox area because of ice build up.

Sounds like a single-door fridge. Frequent opening of door allows more humid air into freezer section, so ice builds up. You need a two door fridge...

Also if it is a single door fridge, try to keep the internal separating door (or plastic flap) closed - and put it back on if it has fallen off !!!

Tell wifey not to leave the fridge door open during the entire meal preparation process...

Ice builds up in the freezing compartment (I assume that the ice is building up in the freezing compartment and not in the refrigerated part of the box!) it is because moist air is getting in and the moisture freezes out of the air and onto the inside of the freezer compartment and its contents. If the freezer compartment door is sealing properly and is kept shut and you still get frost buildup then either: 1. You have entered into the Twilight Zone. 2. You are opening the freezer compartment door many times each day to retrieve and store items. 3. Someone is putting hot drinks in the freezer to cool them quickly. or 4. Someone likes to open the refridgerator and then open the freezer door so they can stand there and cool themselves off on hot days. 5. Something else that I haven't thougt of is happening. 6. This is a troll post. 7. Your freezer compartment is a cosmic vortex opening into another dimensional reality probably some frozen and wet sort of iceburg reality. To test for this last possibility I suggest viewing some of the ice buildup under a microscope and look for bacteria that look like polar bears. If you find them then send me a PM and don't tell anyone else....no, not anyone.

if you want to have the fridge for free, pretend that you want to open a mom & pop shop. Coca Cola and Pepsi are both more than happy to deliver a FREE fridge to your house and you have to buy from them coke (resp. pepsi) worth a couple of thousand Baht (I think it was eight cases, the deposit is more expensive than the coke). Free service if the fridge fails. Coke replenishment every week. The fridges have a bottle opener mounted on the front side. What else can you ask for? Oh yes...I wish Heineken would offer such service... :o

Buy a cheap one made for the local climate in the local hardware store, not any expensive imported european model. Fridges made for northern europe does not work in tropical climate while the cheap ones made for the local market does.

Just make sure you put an earth on the bugger if you do!

Sounds like a single-door fridge. Frequent opening of door allows more humid air into freezer section, so ice builds up. You need a two door fridge...

Also if it is a single door fridge, try to keep the internal separating door (or plastic flap) closed - and put it back on if it has fallen off !!!

Tell wifey not to leave the fridge door open during the entire meal preparation process...

my fridge defrosts automatically. good ones do. :o

The small fridges do not get that cold, and yes ice builkds up. You have to purchase a larger fridge, 11.8 to 15.3 cu. ft two door, and the fridge will stay cold with no ice. Prices range from 14,000 to 18000 Baht. Good brands are Sharp&Electrolux. The cheap fridges just do not work.

Barry

What do you mean by 2 doors?

An upper freezing compartiment with door and lower fridge with door?

I have the same freezing problem with a small 6000baht one door Hitachi.

I see large two doors side-by-side but very big and expensive fridges (20 to 30k)

I am in to buy a second decent fridge real soon now( say 15 to 20k baht).

A two door (or now sometimes three door) is one that has one door by itself for the freezer (which can be at the bottom and often is in the new models).

The single door will always have high ice buildup and not be cold enough to keep good ice cream frozen and should only be used for bedroom (as is done in hotels) if you can afford a two door.

Most current two doors I believe are called frost free (and that is what you want to prevent ice buildup) but there may be some that are not so make sure is says this (should be drain to a pan under unit if it is).

The point about "made for Thailand" is valid as your unit is likely to be used at a very high outside temperature (and often not in an air-conditioned area) and should be built to operate at the higher temperature difference required. I know for a fact that Samsuang makes about 4 or 5 models for different areas of the world. I would stick to them or the Japanese lines myself, with the possible exception of Sanyo and Sharp (which I consider the bottom of Japanese brands). All units should have the energy seal (probably all a 5) so you can read the details to find which is best for electric usage.

I currently have three units in kitchen with one containing mostly my foods which usually only the wife and I open. The two others are used by maid and children, grandchildren for daily needs. Refrigerators also double as a place to keep ants out of food, or can goods cool, so shelf space gets used quickly.

What do you mean by 2 doors?

An upper freezing compartiment with door and lower fridge with door?

I have the same freezing problem with a small 6000baht one door Hitachi.

I see large two doors side-by-side but very big and expensive fridges (20 to 30k)

I am in to buy a second decent fridge real soon now( say 15 to 20k baht).

I have an Electrolux I bought at Lotus 2-3 years ago for 11k. It is a two door (tiered) with separate temperature controls for the freezer and the main compartment. It is completely frost free and efficient. It constantly removes frost through fan ventilation. I got really tired of the small ones freezing up on me.

My fridge is very bad. It does not chill my beer. Can someone recommend a good make and model of fridge to buy in Thailand. Basically I want a good cold fridge that does not need defrosting every 10 days. Money no problem, I just need quality with a capital Q.

:o  Fellow dwellers of the L.O.S. please help........

Get yourself a smeg retrofridge, the most beautyful fridge money can buy in L.O.S.. They have a shop on Sukumvit nearby O Nut

Patex