Blackberry

DTAC only allows you to access DTAC internet, meaning you have to use the BlackBerry APN. To do what you want to do you need to change to AIS service for the same price. They allow you to use their regular APN for free tethering. DTAC doesn't allow that.

DTAC only allows you to access DTAC internet, meaning you have to use the BlackBerry APN. To do what you want to do you need to change to AIS service for the same price. They allow you to use their regular APN for free tethering. DTAC doesn't allow that.

i have the ais package so how do i connect and get it working with my laptop mate im clusless Lol

I cannot comment on this as i use AIS, but perhaps you can manually setup your connection as i will explain below.

i have the ais package so how do i connect and get it working with my laptop mate im clusless Lol

Now ideally you get mobile software from your mobile provider. In the USA, Sprint, ATT, Verizon, etc have connection software if you tether directly through their service. I remember when i was in sicily, vodaphone had its own software. They usually will have one software that allows virtually all of their modems and phones to connect (eg Sprint SmartView). Since we r talking about GSM carriers anyway, the simpliest way is to have a separate 3G/Edge usb modem that is compatible with your operating system and swap Sim cards between phone and USB device. The usb devices now have drivers pre-loaded on the drive you install one time and reboot and then you r good to go.

There are other third party tethering software, such as tether.com , berry4all.com , junefabrics.com . these are typically useful if you have 3g-like sprrds, but may work on slower gprs connections.

But if you want to leave it in your blaackberry, you must go to options > advanced options > TCP . Plug in the appropriate values.

I think to tether a blackberry usb in windows, you must have desktop manager running or installed. Mac i only tethered usins tether.com or bluetooth dun. I never tethered bb in windows using bluetooth. i tested a beta version of tether.com and junefabrics software successfully via usb.

What you want is when you plug in your blackberry, the computer recognizes it to be used as a modem.

Then, to setup a connection in windows, go to Control panel > Network Connection > Create a new Connection > selece 'Connect to the Internet' > select 'Setup my connection Manually' > select "Connect using a dial-up modem' >

ISP Name : Ais or whatever u want

Dialup # : *99***1#

username/password: ais [or leave blank]

I cannot guarantee setup will work in windows.

Bu I noticed AIS english support was less than helpful on the mac side, but did give me instructions on setting up connection manually on windows. I did some google searching and trial/error and i got it to work with a usb edge modem with mac. Let me see if i can provide some screenshots:

2010-06-29_14.19.13.jpg

2010-06-29_14.35.58.jpg

2010-06-29_14.42.50.jpg

I then just paired my blackberry to mac with bluetooth using the setup pluetooth device wizard in mac system preferences. (making sure to select "access the internet with your phone's data connection in the block). Then, in network preferences, i edited the blackberry connection to match that of the usb modem settings. It works. but just like with tether, the blackberry 8830 tends to crash (reset the phone) whenever i tried to tether lots of data. i think it has to do with sprint it policy or something.

You will need a little technical knowledge to understand what i am saying here so you may translate from mac into windows environment.

As you may see, it is much easier to just have the carrier's drivers or modem drivers available for a much moe plug-n-play setup and usage.

This great website has the APN settings for most GSM carriers worldwide.

http://www.flexispy....0use%20GPRS.htm

I will copy and paste what is needed here:

AIS

APN name = internet

User = ais [or leave blank]

Password = ais [or leave blank]

DNS = 202.183.255.20

DNS = 202.183.255.21

DTAC

APN name = www.dtac.co.th

User = guest [or leave blank]

Password = guest [or leave blank]

DNS = 203.155.33.1

DNS = 203.44.144.33

True

Dial Up Number = *99***1#

APN = internet

User = true

Password = true

DNS = ?

DNS = ?

Orange

APN Name = wap

User = orange

Password = orange

DNS = 010.004.004.004

you will have to google separately each carrier for the dial-up # if needed. I included what i know above.

If you are serious about dedicated high speed mobile internet, a separate usb datacard, mifi, or phone that supports tethering more simply may be your best option. I opted for CAT CDMA: Bring your own modem, buy used (must hunt down private seller yourself) or buy new from them in-store. Just bring your passport and cash or credit card (cash recommended). No contracts and no work permit reqiured (must pre-pay by the month). 875 bht for 2Mbps down and almost 1M up in EVDO area and they verified I recommend you buy the modem with sim card so if you travel to other parts, you can just use the new CDMA carrier's sim. Everything worked before i walked out of their office and someone spoke good enough english.

Even if you want to stick with gsm, Ais or Dtac net sim card is 70 bht, the modems new for 1600-4000 @ it-island in jungaleon mall patong beach, phuket. . The guy closest to the movie theatre seemed to have the best deal. I think it is 999bht for unlimited edge/gprs on either carrier. I had to buy a new modem anyway, so i decided to go with CAT and i'm very happy.

Just my humble opinion. Going the cheap route may cost you more in the long run. Penny smart, pound foolish. You're already saving on living arrangements, women, produce, etc. 4 things i want woring properly are: electricity, air condition, hot water, and internet connection.

I won't pretend to understand everything of the above, but I can connect my Android phone with DTAC subscription to my laptop and use it as a modem to connect to the internet without problems.

I won't pretend to understand everything of the above, but I can connect my Android phone with DTAC subscription to my laptop and use it as a modem to connect to the internet without problems.

Do you have BlackBerry Desktop Manager installed on your machine ? There is a menu called "IP MODEM" . Select DTAC from the drop down list and connect. You will need the USB cable and BlackBerry Desktop Manager software to access the internet.

Edited by Blackberry9700

Now ideally you get mobile software from your mobile provider........................

Wow, a very comprehensive post, thanks.

I am downloading Blackberry Desktop Manager now (only 1hr 57mins remaining after 15 mins:( ).

I have copied your instructions to a word doc and will post back later on the outcome.

Thanks again.

[

I have done it with a cheapo Nokia 6230 with both DTAC and AIS and both worked fine.

You just let the phone handle the connection the normal way, the laptop doesn't need to know anything about the APN, *99# and that stuff.

You just network the laptop and the phone using Bluetooth... or whatever connection is available...

Piece of cake... :D

Martin

Edited by siamect

[

I have done it with a cheapo Nokia 6230 with both DTAC and AIS and both worked fine.

You just let the phone handle the connection the normal way, the laptop doesn't need to know anything about the APN, *99# and that stuff.

You just network the laptop and the phone using Bluetooth... or whatever connection is available...

Piece of cake... :D

Martin

Agree @ Piece of Cake

4evermaat, thankyou so much. Now successfully set up following your instructions - awesome!

I posted here so that the next person did not have to go though the hours i did. using a ysb stick is so much easier in the long run, unless your phone and coverage gets 3g speeds, then it may be worth it.

• 1 month later...

Here's how it works on the iPhone:

STEP 1: Connect iPhone to computer via USB

STEP 2: .... oh... that's it. Right. No step 2 :)

If you don't live in BKK and plan on using the mobile internet a lot, I'd also recommend CAT CDMA. AIS or DTAC GPRS does not compare to CAT, CAT CDMA is basically like a DSL connection in most areas. Very reliable, and fast enough for pretty much anything. True 3G, where available, provides similar speeds. But coverage isn't nearly as comprehensive, it doesn't even work in some areas in BKK (falling back to EDGE, which again is very slow comparatively). I always use True 3G in Chiang Mai - it's fast there, and available all over the city, and iPhone tethering (see above) is much more convenient than connecting with a CAT CDMA modem. And in some areas True 3G can reach 5Mbit.. the top end is certainly much better than CAT CDMA.

For reliability, speed, and coverage, CAT CDMA is the best. Unless you are in BKK and vicinity, where it doesn't work. All areas covered by Hutch are a CAT CDMA blackout zone.

Edited by nikster

This is extremely helpful. I followed the guide and I am able to have Internet on my MAC.... Not extremely fast but pretty good. At home I am able to run on a 3G network, which is much faster....anyway this is fine :-)

I cannot comment on this as i use AIS, but perhaps you can manually setup your connection as i will explain below.

Now ideally you get mobile software from your mobile provider. In the USA, Sprint, ATT, Verizon, etc have connection software if you tether directly through their service. I remember when i was in sicily, vodaphone had its own software. They usually will have one software that allows virtually all of their modems and phones to connect (eg Sprint SmartView). Since we r talking about GSM carriers anyway, the simpliest way is to have a separate 3G/Edge usb modem that is compatible with your operating system and swap Sim cards between phone and USB device. The usb devices now have drivers pre-loaded on the drive you install one time and reboot and then you r good to go.

There are other third party tethering software, such as tether.com , berry4all.com , junefabrics.com . these are typically useful if you have 3g-like sprrds, but may work on slower gprs connections.

But if you want to leave it in your blaackberry, you must go to options > advanced options > TCP . Plug in the appropriate values.

I think to tether a blackberry usb in windows, you must have desktop manager running or installed. Mac i only tethered usins tether.com or bluetooth dun. I never tethered bb in windows using bluetooth. i tested a beta version of tether.com and junefabrics software successfully via usb.

What you want is when you plug in your blackberry, the computer recognizes it to be used as a modem.

Then, to setup a connection in windows, go to Control panel > Network Connection > Create a new Connection > selece 'Connect to the Internet' > select 'Setup my connection Manually' > select "Connect using a dial-up modem' >

ISP Name : Ais or whatever u want

Dialup # : *99***1#

username/password: ais [or leave blank]

I cannot guarantee setup will work in windows.

Bu I noticed AIS english support was less than helpful on the mac side, but did give me instructions on setting up connection manually on windows. I did some google searching and trial/error and i got it to work with a usb edge modem with mac. Let me see if i can provide some screenshots:

2010-06-29_14.19.13.jpg

2010-06-29_14.35.58.jpg

2010-06-29_14.42.50.jpg

I then just paired my blackberry to mac with bluetooth using the setup pluetooth device wizard in mac system preferences. (making sure to select "access the internet with your phone's data connection in the block). Then, in network preferences, i edited the blackberry connection to match that of the usb modem settings. It works. but just like with tether, the blackberry 8830 tends to crash (reset the phone) whenever i tried to tether lots of data. i think it has to do with sprint it policy or something.

You will need a little technical knowledge to understand what i am saying here so you may translate from mac into windows environment.

As you may see, it is much easier to just have the carrier's drivers or modem drivers available for a much moe plug-n-play setup and usage.

This great website has the APN settings for most GSM carriers worldwide.

http://www.flexispy....0use%20GPRS.htm

I will copy and paste what is needed here:

AIS

APN name = internet

User = ais [or leave blank]

Password = ais [or leave blank]

DNS = 202.183.255.20

DNS = 202.183.255.21

DTAC

APN name = www.dtac.co.th

User = guest [or leave blank]

Password = guest [or leave blank]

DNS = 203.155.33.1

DNS = 203.44.144.33

True

Dial Up Number = *99***1#

APN = internet

User = true

Password = true

DNS = ?

DNS = ?

Orange

APN Name = wap

User = orange

Password = orange

DNS = 010.004.004.004

you will have to google separately each carrier for the dial-up # if needed. I included what i know above.

If you are serious about dedicated high speed mobile internet, a separate usb datacard, mifi, or phone that supports tethering more simply may be your best option. I opted for CAT CDMA: Bring your own modem, buy used (must hunt down private seller yourself) or buy new from them in-store. Just bring your passport and cash or credit card (cash recommended). No contracts and no work permit reqiured (must pre-pay by the month). 875 bht for 2Mbps down and almost 1M up in EVDO area and they verified I recommend you buy the modem with sim card so if you travel to other parts, you can just use the new CDMA carrier's sim. Everything worked before i walked out of their office and someone spoke good enough english.

Even if you want to stick with gsm, Ais or Dtac net sim card is 70 bht, the modems new for 1600-4000 @ it-island in jungaleon mall patong beach, phuket. . The guy closest to the movie theatre seemed to have the best deal. I think it is 999bht for unlimited edge/gprs on either carrier. I had to buy a new modem anyway, so i decided to go with CAT and i'm very happy.

Just my humble opinion. Going the cheap route may cost you more in the long run. Penny smart, pound foolish. You're already saving on living arrangements, women, produce, etc. 4 things i want woring properly are: electricity, air condition, hot water, and internet connection.